Annual guilt trip - Memorial time!

by FreeWilly 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Atilla
    Atilla

So, the memorial this year is Sunday April 4 after sundown. I understand that they like the symbolic significance of having this thing the same time of the day the world over, but don't you think that they could have many more in attendence if it was at a more convenient time. I think they really messed up with this after sundown idea, because it does prevent some people from attending. I would remember trying to get my Bible studies to attend the memorial on a Thursday night and they just looked at me like I was crazy. It just goes to show you that tradition is more important to them than the message.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*invites Joysome to memorial*

It's the most important day of the year, you know.

• blondie
    blondie

Atila, that is when the Jewish day begins, after sundown. It would end on Monday at sundown. So if between approximately 7 pm Sunday to 7 pm Monday, I think most people would find it convenient Sunday evening. JWs complain if it is too late, especially when 2 congregations share 1 KH. Sometimes it is 10 pm before the second one gets out. Any later would be even more inconvenient and having it before the work day the next morning would cause a howl too.

May be I am misunderstanding your point.

Blondie

• Atilla
    Atilla

Blondie

I understand that the memorial is to correspond with the time on the Jewish calendar but I just don't understand the practicality of doing so. This year on Sunday is a little better but I remember the memorial many years falling on a weekday night, hugely impractical. Also, even this year on a Sunday is very inconvenient for a lot of people I know. I just think that they should hold the memorial every year on Sunday morning just like a normal meeting or maybe even Saturday mid-day, then I think you would see much greater attendence.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

((freewilly))

It's really unfortunate that my dear Mom is stuck in this ... cult. It has put such an unnecessary strain on our once normal family. I've seen a energetic positive woman turn into a fearful, depressed, judgmental person. ... All this lady wanted was to have a normal life with a happy family who got together and enjoyed themselves. ... My bonehead father became a Witness ... He dragged all of us into this mess. My Mom was the most resistant to it ... Eventually she capitulated and slowly replaced her friends and siblings with other JW's. Her view of the world became more dim and dark as time went on.

After chopping a few words from your story here, it's exactly like my family. Thanks so much for putting into words the pain and frustration so many of us are forced to deal with in our families because of this cult. Knowing I'm not so completely alone in feeling this same way is a small comfort.

One thing that really burns me is they wear this type of thing (families torn apart) like a badge of honor because it proves to them their religion is truth, because Jesus said somewhere that Christianity would turn brother against brother, mother against father (or something like that). I can never believe the hell we are experiencing with all of this is what god intended, if there is a god.

I too see my family's view of the world becoming darker and darker every day, and wonder if they have developed mental illnesses. What else can you think about someone who is driven with the idea that everyone they see, except for a precious few of those who are "good" witnesses, is deserving of god's wrath.

((cybersista))

I know she is very protective of her last 2 children now and I worry about the effect this will have on them.

That's very true... it's going to be hell for them because the parent is going to be very heavy handed about ensuring they don't leave the witnesses. A friend of mine had that type of thing happen where his older brothers and sisters (who were much older) had left and the he was the youngest, and still pretty young then. He was continually exposed to extremely harsh treatment. His parents felt they had been too easy on the others and they just couldn't have their youngest leave too. It made for a horrible existence for my friend, whose parents used every strategy they could to trap him into staying in.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Thanks everyone!

• staceman
    staceman

Oh my gosh I am so excited to post. I have been reading this sight for months and I have tried an tried to register but it wont let me. So my brother gave me his info so that I could scream out to all who will listen. First of all I have to say I love you all so very much and I feel each and everyones pain. My life was nearly destroyed by the jdubs. I was a witness when I was a kid. My stepfather brought us in and one minute we were all happy and celebrating holidays and enjoyed our extended family and the next we were forced to shun everyone and everything having to do with the world. My mom became an alcoholic and my dad became very abusive. In fact he punched my lights out when I was 13 yrs old. It was at the dinner table and blood squirted all over our dinner...because I looked at him wrong. Well to make a long story short I was dfd when I was 16 for rebellion. What a joke. I was then thrown out to the streets to live on my own. What a life it has been. I survived somehow after being raped 4 times in my youth and I have faced more adversity than most with no family to rely on or even to call. I am now 48 yrs old and I luckily moved to Denver 2 months after my sister did. Pure coincidence.I havent her known since we were children. She has left the org. and so has my brother and mother. I have reconnected with them and it feels great. My 'dad' is still in and so is my little sister. But we are all so screwed up I cant even tell you.

I am so angry with all that it has taken from me and my family. This site really helps to put things into perspective. Thank you all.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Yipes. That is quite the story sister of staceman.

Welcome to JWD. Perhaps you can get your login fixed and post your story under your own thread and alias.

• franklin J
    franklin J

who would want to drink that cheap wine? ( from a screw top bottle!)

COOTIES!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit