OK, I actually Saw the Passion

by Yerusalyim 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Just came home from seeing...The Passion...after the movie there was a question and answer session with two Rabbis that viewed it with us...and three priests from my parish...more on that at another time...though both Rabbis said in their opinion the MOVIE is not Antisemetic, but that it could (would) stir up antisemetic feelings in those who already possessed them.

The movie was an overall good one. It was interesting trying to figure out some of the symbolism...what did the baby represent??? I think I know, but I'd like to hear Mel's take on it.

Pretty gory stuff, not quite what I thought it would be, but still quite yucky. Exposed ribs, yuck...but when you think about it...more than just a little possible.

Pilate was probably treated too kindly...but not let off the hook as much as some said...The mob scenes calling for Jesus' dead were offset by crowds horrified by what was going on.

I recommend it...for those with no faith...it will just be a bloody movie...for those with faith...it will most likely be a moving experience (though one of the priests thought it was too hollywood. Adding Satan was a great touch, I thought.

Some noticable historical inaccuracies.

The "Jesus invents the kitchen table" scene was a bit hokey, but had a purpose, and not quite what we were led to believe by another poster.
    Mel might make a few dollars on this...the theatre I went to...four different cinemas running all at once...and all full...and two other theatres in town that I know of were running the show.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah
    Mel might make a few dollars on this...the theatre I went to...four different cinemas running all at once...and all full...and two other theatres in town that I know of were running the show.

Why should the priests, ministers, deacons etc. be the only ones to make money off Jesus? At least Mel isn't trying to dictate how others should live their lives. He is just presenting an art form.

Uzzah

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

The movie--The Passion, was excellent!

• avishai
    avishai
    ...though both Rabbis said in their opinion the MOVIE is not Antisemetic, but that it could (would) stir up antisemetic feelings in those who already possessed them.

It's like Oliver Stone. I don't think he should be censored, but...It's stupid to think that a film like Natural Born KIllers is'nt going to cause violence. It is. It did. More "Romans"killed Jesus than us heebies. But they supposedly ordered the hit. SO? It was two thousand years ago. But, 1964 years later, my dad was still having to fight people off because he was a "christ killer". dBut we think because it's only 40 years later than that, that we are "above " anti-semitism. You know what the most progressive, anti-semitic country in europe in the early 1930's, even more so than america was? Germany. Yup, Germany. France was far worse. Still is. It's not a problem that is going away soon. Look up post from a year or so ago from a poster named Jjrizzo. Or Pomegranate. It's not new. But it's not going away any time soon either.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Uz,

Why should the priests, ministers, deacons etc.

The average priest makes about $18,000 a year, and pays his own pension plan etc...in the Catholic church deacons receive no salary.

ASH,

Oh, AntiSemitism is alive and well in the US and around the globe. The problem with your analogy is that Natural Born Killers WAS a violent movie that glorified violence...The Passion is NOT antisemetic nor does it glorify antisemetism.

• yxl1
    yxl1
    Some noticable historical inaccuracies.

Dont you mean noticable inaccuriacies between the gospel account and Mel Gibsons script?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Actually I'd be hard pressed to really name an inaccuracy between the gospels and Mel's script, though he did fill in some blanks to create a story...no, the historical inaccuracies I speak of are exactly that...the Roman costumes...or that of the higher ranking officials were a bit off, but not bad. The two thieves crucified with Christ would also have been scourged...they weren't in the movie...they would almost certainly have been on the same type of cross...Jesus' was different, but I think Mel did that for a specific reason...to be able to show Jesus embracing the cross. There's no way, after what they show Jesus having gone through, that he would have been able to lug around a 300lb cross. The nails were still shown as going through the hands...which ALMOST certainly wasn't how it was done The titlus would have been carried infront of Jesus...and the others...to show their crime. The disciples and Jesus almost certainly reclined to take their meal together at the last supper (and when that is pictured in you mind, some of what the gospels say make sense.

The film being in another language didn't detract from it at all IMHO. Though having the subtitles made it nice.

Historical pluses on Mel's side...Jesus speaking Latin almost fluently...at the time Jesus would have spoken Aramaic, Latin, common Greek, and Hebrew. The cudgle used to break the legs of the criminals. The uniform of the common Roman looked about right. A few other things...

The addition of Satan to the movie was a nice touch...really.

So, in your opinion, where was Mel NOT on track with the gospel account?

• patio34
    patio34

Yeru, you said

The average priest makes about $18,000 a year, and pays his own pension plan etc

But doesn't this also include free room and board, a car, housekeeper, etc.? It seemed to when I was a Catholic a long time ago. the priests lived in a rectory, with sec'y and housekeeper and drove nice cars.

2nd point: from a commercial for The Passion, it seemed to show women in what looked like nuns' habits instead of colorful clothes and head coverings. The commercial seemed to show black "habits" with the traditional white band. This would seem to be inaccurate.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Yep, most priests live in a rectory, some don't...but they're paying EVERYTHING, insurance, pensions, etc...it really doesn't go very far.

Second, unless the particular parish opts to give the priest a car or a car allowance, then that's his responsibility too. The priest I had growing up drove a really nice car, and got a new one every year...and everyone talked about it...it was only after he died that we found out his brother, the owner of a car dealership, gave him a new model every year. I haven't seen housekeepers for priests in ages, though some still have them. The priests also generally have to buy their own vestments...one outfit alone cost well over $4000.00. Unless they've got another profession on the side, priests aren't getting rich.

Mary and Mary Magdelene wore black...but they were widows...so I suppose they did look a bit like nuns...plus, I'm sure Mel did that with Mary and MM for the purpose of honoring them and nuns in one fell swoop. The married women you see in the movie do wear colorful clothing...Like Mel's depiction of Veronica wiping Jesus face...admittedly I'm not as up on Jewish dress in the year AD 33 as I'd like to be though.

• patio34
    patio34

Yeru, you picqued my curiosity, so here's what I found on http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos063.htm (US Dept of Labor)

Earnings[About this section]Back to Top Back to Top

Salaries of diocesan priests vary from diocese to diocese. According to a biennial survey of the National Federation of Priests? Council, low-end salaries averaged $15,291 per year in 2002; high-end salaries averaged $18,478 per year. In addition to a salary, diocesan priests receive a package of benefits that may include a car allowance, room and board in the parish rectory, health insurance, and a retirement plan.

Diocesan priests who do special work related to the church, such as teaching, usually receive a salary which is less than a lay person in the same position would receive. The difference between the usual salary for these jobs and the salary that the priest receives is called ?contributed service.? In some situations, housing and related expenses may be provided; in other cases, the priest must make his own arrangements. Some priests doing special work receive the same compensation that a lay person would receive.

Religious priests take a vow of poverty and are supported by their religious order. Any personal earnings are given to the order. Their vow of poverty is recognized by the Internal Revenue Service, which exempts them from paying Federal income tax.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's not much. I was thinking more of cardinals and upwards, I guess. Plus, the parish I lived in when I was Catholic was on the well-to-do side.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit