Watchtower Tax Return

by Tahoe 43 Replies latest jw friends

• sparky1
    sparky1

I just checked the IRS charitable organization website! This is the first time they have begun posting tax returns on charitable organizations. For the fiscal year 2016 they reported $1,590,239,000! in assets. LV101, for tax purposes, Watchtower of NY is the 'umbrella' or group corporation used to file tax returns for all the US corporations. So this amount is total for all US corporate assets. THIS IS INCREDIBLE!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Jeff: For starters, tax returns are not publically available in the US...how did they get this?

He likely just ordered it from the IRS.

The 990-T form for charitable organizations are available to the public. You have to pay for copies.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/public-inspection-and-disclosure-of-form-990-t

Section 501(c)(3) organizations (charities) must make available for public inspection Forms 990-T, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return. IRS guidance provides as follows:
    • Guidelines in Treas. Reg. ยง 301.6104(d)-1 and Notice 2007-45, for making annual returns available for inspection and copying generally continue to apply, except that a return covered by the guidelines includes an exact copy of a Form 990-T filed by a charity after August 17, 2006. The return also includes any schedules, attachments, and supporting documents that relate to the imposition of tax on the unrelated business income of the charity. Schedules, attachments and supporting documents that do not relate to the imposition of the unrelated business income tax do not have to be made available for inspection and copying.
    • A charity must make Form 990-T available only for the three years beginning on the last day (including extensions) for filing the return.
    The IRS must make Forms 990-T filed by charities publicly available; use Form 4506-A to request copies. Copies of Forms 990-T on DVD may be purchased from the IRS. See Copies of Scanned Exempt Organization Returns Available
  • sparky1
    sparky1

http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/displayAll.do?dispatchMethod=displayAllInfo&Id=44456&ein+1117

There it is boys and girls! In black and white on the IRS site!!!!!!!!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I tried your link, Sparky...nada.

Can you check it please?

* tap, tap, tap tap.....

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

That cannot be true. The org has collapsed and is destitute. I know because i have been told that many times on this very forum

• OrphanCrow
  • sparky1
    sparky1

I see what you mean, OrpahnCrow. Apparently the webpage has a 'timed out' feature. At any rate, click on the link. When you get to the page, click on Charities and Non-profits in the upper right hand corner. When you get to that page, scroll down half way and click on Tax Exempt Organizations Search. When you get to that page, scroll halfway down the page and click on Tax Exempt Organizations search again. When you get to that page, search by organization name WATCHTOWER and click on that link. When you get to that page, scroll half way down and click on Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York. When you get to that page, click on Tax Year 2016 Form 990-T. The information will appear in a pdf page. Good luck!

• sparky1
    sparky1

OrphanCrow:

_Morpheus, maybe you should PM Slimboy about this and awaken him from his seemingly self-imposed exile on this topic. I miss his prevarications, pontifications and prognostications!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I found this too.

It is a private foundation that has $1,604,011 in assets - all investment income goes to the WTBTS in Pennsylvania

NEWELL CHARITABLE TR FBO WATCHTOWER

I don't know how that works in the big picture - would the assets of this private foundation show up in the umbrella tax return in NY?

And, these returns are just for the US WT, right? Hoo boy..whoo hoo...add in all their foreign investments...wow

Are ya shaking in your boots yet, Morph?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I know personal tax returns are protected law in the U.S., but not-for-profit organizations are having theirs published to inform the public of these organizations' finances. I checked out the names and telephone numbers on the full return. They're legit.

$1.4 billion U.S.! I bet that's mostly tied up in real estate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit