Does it ever get easier?

by Surfacing 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Surfacing
    Surfacing

I'd like to say hello to everyone. My heart is palpitating even as I write this. It was only recently that I was introduced to this site. I had long had doubts but could never bring myself to peer over the wall built in my head about the evils of apostates. Most of you don't seem even remotely like the "evil wolves" I've been brought up to fear... just like average people, some who are hurting like me. I really stepped back and took an objective look at things during our last CO's visit. He gave a brief illustration which really bothered me. I'll try to give a synopsis:

"there is no reason to believe that just because we will be shielded, we will be completely ignorant to the destruction that will take place at Armageddon. So imagine seeing someone who was destroyed and recognizing their face. The person was in front of you in line at the grocery store reading the headlines of a current paper and saying "what is this world coming too?" But instead of witnessing to this person you reason that you don't have a tract, that you are too busy etc... now imagine having the knowledge after Armageddon that you could have saved this person.... the truth is that this would never happen. Because you would not have survived Armageddon due to your failure to witness to this person." I realized then that I had been condemned to death at Armageddon because I had failed to informal witness on MANY occasions. I have always had problems with feelings of guilt, but that was the nail in the coffin. My father (an elder) passed away tragically from a heart attack suddenly when I was 18. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, because these things are so difficult and some people don't feel comfortable dealing with people who have had a loss. But after the funeral NOONE reached out to me. I befriended a "worldly" girl at school and it wasn't until then that the elders paid attention to me. I was "marked" (I still don't understand the criteria for that particular "discipline") and was told that if I wanted to see my father again my attitude would have to change. I'm a kid who is experiencing incredible grief and they drop that reasoning on me. I left for a while and basically ran away to try to figure things out. I experienced panic attacks and anxiety. I decided to return and after a JC, was NOT df'd but was without priviledges for a long time. It was explained to me that my panic attacks were most likely demon related, but upon my wholehearted return to the organization they didn't stop. My girlfriend came back with me and started studying. She was approved for baptism and I proposed to her, I gave her an engagement ring and and we starting sitting together at the meetings. We were immediately counseled that this was wrong. The PO asked me who gave me permission to propose, since she had not actually been baptised, but was only approved. I decided to stay "humble" and ask for the ring back. It broke my heart as she sobbed and asked "why." Things improved. We got married (but weren't allowed to get married inside a Kingdom Hall because I still had one restriction left over a year after returning.) and she eventually became a pioneer. She totally rejected her family because they were evil Catholics and it really confused and hurt them. She always had doubts about the organization, and would secretly voice them to me, saying that even though it was evil to think along these lines, she couldn't help but wonder if the emphasis on constant meeting attendance wasn't a form of distraction from the "real world"; a type of brainwashing. She became very disillusioned with pioneering, the backbiting, lying about hours, the righteousness that is automatically attributed to one who holds such a title. She came off the list because of her conscience a couple of months ago.

I know I have dragged on. If I even choose to send this I would like to say thank you to anybody who is listening and can maybe relate. Thank you to this forum for giving me a place to vent. My question is fairly simple. Does it get easier? I'm getting better with the panic attacks (doing my own research and realising that it is because I have a lot of unresolved issues, not necessarily because the demons are attacking me), but I still have this terrible, impending sense of doom. Am I on the dark side? Have I really lost all hope of seeing my father because of the way I'm thinking now? Or am I finally at a stage where I can "surface" and see with some clarity? Sometimes I fear the ping pong game in my head is driving me to insanity. The guilt is so overwhelming, yet when I really analyze it, I don't think I'm really that evil. I love God and want to be a good person. I thank him for my wife. Am I alone in these feelings?

• onacruse
    onacruse

Wow, what a great way to step up to the plate, and on your first post, at that! Thanks for trusting us with your feelings.

In many ways I'm still grappling with the same questions as you, and in others I have found a confident inner peace. So, yes, it does get better!...but it won't all happen over night, and I think that's what is sometimes the most frustrating thing: expecting a magic wand cure, click our heels together and we're back in Kansas.

Welcome to JWD

Craig & Kate (bikerchic)

edit to add: btw, if you haven't already, you might like to check out http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/67390/1.ashx ...lots of great advice there; soooooo many folks are going or have gone through what you're experiencing.

• Hunyadi
    Hunyadi

No, friend, you are not alone. I suffered from "demon attacks" even when I was at my most active and spiritual state of heart and mind. I was told, and therefore I reasoned, that, since I was making a strong effort to serve Jehovah, that Satan was working extra hard to stumble me. The harder I worked for the kingdom as explained by the org, the less I felt Jehovah's protection from the demons. It did not add up.

The "demon attacks" were no more than panic and anxiety attacks spurred by the load of guilt and fear enculcated in me from infancy. Along with those paralyzing emotions came much pent up anger that was always boiling beneath the surface. When I determined to leave the org for good, the attacks lessoned and as every day passed, I experienced them seldomly with a diminished intensity. Either I got better, or I became perfectly possessed by the demons to the extent that they leave me alone because they now have full control over me. All I know is that I am no longer guilt-ridden and overly fearful of everything in the world. The anger is gone too.

The org heaps much to much crap upon its members. It is a burdensome yoke that Jesus promised his followers he would not load them down with. Your mind is like a muscle and it must be exercised. It sounds like you are on the brink of using it regularly and I applaud and support your courage. It does get easier, and your sanity will be restored as time passes.

Stay awhile, listen and share. It will help.

Kind Regards,

Hunyadi

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Hi Surfacing, nice ta meet ya........glad you found this site. You sure have been thru alot. No wonder you are under so much tension etc.

I disassociated myself and at the time I still was not sure what to believe , what not to believe, I was a total nervous wreck. I had nightmares about armeggedon, I had panic attacks , I cried, I tried to pray, I tried reading the Bible I was in such a bad state.

Someone told me to take some time for myself, come to this place to talk, and try to not worry about answering all of the questions in my mind all at once. Looking back I can see how unreasonable even thinking that I could undo 30 something years of JW brainwashing and ways. It just takes time. Time to learn,,,,,,,,, time to look up things....... time to see who you really are........time to heal from hurt because of the JW.

You just seem to go thru so many emotions , sometimes all at once , all in one day.

I felt I lost someone in death , when I lost my religion. My religion was who I was, so I thought. I had to learn to grieve that loss. As in a death, you have shock, you have pain, you have denial, you have anger. Then one day ,,,,,,,,you start feeling like you are going to pull thru this all after all.

It just takes time. And in my opinion,,,,,,,, it does get easier with time. Hang in there , and just do the best you can everyday to be a good person. I am sure if there is a Higher Power , that is all he expects from us when we are so lost.

Just know you are among friends here,,,,even thou we have just met,,,,,we have all been thru just about the same thing, so we can truly say we understand and give you our support...LyinEyes/Dede

• pudd
    pudd

Hi surfacing

I am glad you found this forum; it is a great place to try to work out your thoughts and feelings, and to get support from people who really understand what you are going through.

Others have already given some great advice. All I can add is that as you rightly said, this place is not full of evil people trying to turn you away from God! I remember feeling very uncomfortable looking at "apostate" sites I thought Jehovah would be so disappointed with me! But it does get easier. You need to be true to yourself.

Your wife sounds like a great girl! She has stuck by you and stood up for what she feels is right. How does she feel about you coming on here? Does she know?

The way you have been treated is heart breaking. You should have had support after your dad died (very sorry for your loss btw) using your grief as a threat (if you want to see you dad again?) is disgusting.

I do not understand where the elder?s get off saying you can?t sit next to someone in the kingdom hall!! How pathetic!

As for saying your panic attacks are the demons? that is terrible! It is a genuine medical condition. Making you feel guilty is hardly going to help matters and would totally freak me out!

I wish you all the best and hope things work out for you. Stick around and let us know how you are getting on Pudd

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Surfacing, well done for having the moral fortitude to look beyond the bullshit.

My answer to your question is yes, it does get easier. Before too long you stop beating yourself up over the guilt you feel and your fear of not getting through armagheddon. I lost my mother at 16 and went through some of the stuff you describe and was subjected to the self same guilt trip - 'you will not see your mother again if you do not behave!'. At the end of the day you will come to recognise that everything the GB and the body of elders have said is all rubbish. The only hold they have on the flock is fear - fear of destruction at armagheddon and fear that you will be cut off from the congregation if you do not toe the line. Congratulations on having a loving wife who is switched on enough to be able to spot the inconsistencies and underlying harm of the JW teachings. Welcome to the real world

Steve

• Sirona
    Sirona

Surfacing

firstly ((((HUG))))

Sorry you went through all of that.

Yes, it does get easier. As a JW, I suffered from Panic Attacks a lot (as does my JW mum). It is possible to overcome them and there are proven ways of doing so. You'll still sometimes feel panic coming on, but you'll know how to handle it. Your doctor might refer you to someone who will help and give you some techniques - or you can buy books which go through each step in overcoming them.

Just recently I went out to a big function (for Burns night actually) and I felt great, looked good - everything was fine, but as I walked past everyone to go to my table I felt my heart start to near-on come out of my chest. By now, it was a familiar feeling and I knew that I didn't have to run from the room, or go home, I knew I could ride it out. For 10 mins or so I sat quietly at the table doing my breathing, and it went away, and noone even noticed! I told my partner later that that is the reason I'd been quiet. So see - it isn't the demons, its a physical condition and you can control it.

As for JWs and guilt, just research and make sure you know the truth about the JWs. There are so many people who have a life outside JWs and they are good people. Many are Christians who love God - many have chosen other paths - and overall I do not believe that God would condemn them for living good lives.

Welcome to the forum!

Sirona

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hi ((((Surfacing))))

Welcome to the forum - there are some lovely people here that understand how your feeling.

Hang in there - it does get easier.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Welcome to the forum. It is the honest hearted, sincere people like you and your wife who suffer the most at the hands of the J-dud masters. They wield their power of oppression without mercy on the tender ones! See them for who and what they are. As you come to appreciate that their power over you is an illusion along with everything else they promote as "truth" life does get easier. They will try different tactics to draw you back under their subjection. False kindness, guilt, peer-pressure, and fear. They have no shame, same as any zealots of and evil god. Come here and read about the borg. Get your strength up and you will be free to see the True God as He really is. Maverick

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Welcome, and a wonderful first post!

Yes, we can understand, all to different levels.

Coming here and posting my thoughts has certainly helped.

One thing I am finding is that I still have a hard time concentrating on tihngs [like I have ADD or something], or I can fall into a slight depression at times.

That is very unusual for me as I typically am a positive and driven person.

So I am starting to read books on that deal with fixing a mind that has been manipulated by cults.

I also got a book about the seven stages of LOSS: shock, denial, anger, guilt, bargaining, depression & acceptance.

I seem to float around in the "anger, guilt, bargaining, depression'" stages, which isn't healthy. Too much mental and emotional energy can be put into this cycle and then it affects other parts of your life.

Another thing i find interesting just from my own observations is this:

I always thought that the number of years I was a JW would to some degree determine how long it would take to undo the teachings of the cult in my mind.

But the number of years in the WTS doesn't seem to be as important to my eventual recovery as does the level that one is decieved and bought the WTS teacings hook, lie and sinker.

For example, I was a JW for about the same time as one of my baptised brothers.

He is able to lead a normal life now that he is almost completely faded out.

But I decided to DA myself to get out last year

My brother though never got too heavy into the WTS. He went to prom, dated worldly girls, he even hangs around with all of his old High School buddy's still. Yes, he Aux Pio'd once or twice, but that's about the extent of what he did as a JW. And now he's doing really good in life. Always has.

ME?

I bought everything hard core. Was a MS, a Reg Pio, did temp work at Bethel, made sure I answered @ every meeting, conducted bible study's [thank god no one ever got baptised!]. I made sure I judged people as less worthy because they didn't have their WT studied on Sunday or because they wore certain garb, or hung with certain 'bad JW's'.

And now it's tough for me to undo that mindset.

A friend that I Reg Pio'd with who is now DF'd feels the same way. It's hard to adjust to a normal life at times. But this friend also was a 'hard-core' JW.

Anyways....

Welcome aboard, things will get better.

I laugh aloud to myself whenever I am doing something on a Saturday morning and then remember:

"I could still be stuck going door to door counting down the minutes for the 10:30 break!"

Life is definitely better being able to think for yourself, not having to judge everyone who isn't a JW, and to be able to pursue things in life that really interest you.

Best wishes,

Paul [Winston.]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit