1980s Brochure/magazine on demon possession?

by caves 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Another Christian woman kept a handbag given her by an aunt who was a fortune-teller. Using the handbag in the ministry, she experienced powerful thoughts of "Go home!"

Before I action on my previous comment, I am secretly planning to buy a handbag from a Fortune teller and give it to my still in JW wife and see the consequences.

We need to make sure of all things, you know, as the Bible says.

• jw07
    jw07

Observation:

I think the "Spirits of the Dead" brochure contains the most people of colour found in any WT publication.

https://faithleaks.org/wiki/documents/d/dc/Sp-E_spirits_dead_2006.pdf

Why is that???

• steve2
    steve2

The superstitious crap that fills believers’ minds and drives them crazy.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

So....talking with "unseen spirits" to get them to help you....is not ok unless they have two particular names that begin with the letter " J"?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I'm smiling as I type ... I recall this part of my JW experience with inner laughter. Here are a few of my favourite memories.

1. A brother with severe cognitive disabilities describing to a number of others at the KH, how Satan had pushed him down some steps to stop him from going witinessing.

2. A circuit overseers (also cognitively challenged) wife telling a group of enthralled sisters, how she had helped a sister in another congregation. This woman apparently had all sorts of spiritual difficulties and the 'clever' CO's wife found the problem, a rosary under her bed, allegedly placed there by the woman's mother ( a hostile Catholic).

3. A wife having emotional problems throwing am expensive silver and jade ring into a river (likely inspired by the jesus and the pigs story) and claiming she immediately felt better.

4. An otherwise pragmatic and ikeable CO, claiming that in th home of a family studying but not progressing ( a prime target for the demons, right???) he could feel a demonic presence.

What's your favourite (laughable) demon story?

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

'...Only after getting rid of the handbag did she get relief...'

AMAZING !

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

A brother from Nigeria gave a talk at our hall once (mid west US). He was obsessed with demonism, the whole talk. Apparently it is quite the thing in Africa.

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

I remember hearing about a "demonic episode" when i was a kid, from an old family JW friend. She said that her and her sister came home to their apartment one night from being out, and all the furniture in their home was turned upside down.

She said it was the couch, the TV, the table and chairs, the end tables, coffee table, and other odds and ends. Coincidentally, no very heavy, or semi permanent items were turned upside down. Like the refrigerator, the stove, etc.

My fairly astute Mother at the time, who coincidentally is NO longer really a practicing JW, said to the friend, "how do you know it was demons that did that to the furniture, and not some pranking teenagers or something"?

To which her friend angrily replied, " IT WAS DEMONS, I HEARD WEIRD SOUNDS COMING FROM THE LIGHT BULBS TOO". As if THAT somehow makes it have to be demons.

Its weird how the naive JW mind is so simple sometimes. Its first "go to thought" is demons, or Satan, when most of the time, there usually is a logical explanation. Unfortunately, JW "theology" is not based in logic, its based in NONSENSE.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The most insane story I heard as a kid, I heard first hand from a JW convert who's wife had bought a souvenir imitation shrunken head in New Guinea in the sixties. I'm not going to perpetuate his nonsense story by retelling it.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Using the handbag in the ministry, she experienced powerful thoughts of "Go home!"

I had thoughts of wanting to go home just about every time I went door knocking! Gawd, how I hated it. When I finally realised that dubbism wasn't the truth, my first few thoughts were how great it was going to be never having to go out in the ministry or attend another meeting again - not ever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit