JW Urban Legends 2

by ZeroKool29 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• shotgun
    shotgun

Special K

They have outlawed all of the Harry Potters Books except the Philosphers Stone.

They use that book to back up the John 1:1 rendering in the NWT.

• SC_Guy
    SC_Guy

I never learned about the smurfs until I came to the forum...

I wonder if the WTS has come out with anything about "Harry Potter .. his books/movies"..

Can anyone elighten me on that one.

Ugh. I once attacked some meek christian scientists about letting their children read Harry potter... you know, to impress the R&F. I feel guilty about it though, when I went home that evening I was just starting to finish the Goblet of fire... LOL. I guess all that harry potter and demonized cartoons like sponge bob and Pokemon finaly infected my soul with the blackest evil making me an apostate.

raaar.. fear me.

• Joysome
    Joysome

Here's a story that always stuck out to me. There were two sisters in field service and they were knocking at a door. The dog was barking and they knocked again. The dog came around the corner and SAID "Nobody is home" The sisters ran away and the dog chased them. The one sister tripped and fell and just as the dog was going to attack she shoved a Watchtower in it's mouth and the dog just turned and walked away. I've heard that one for years.

• sandy
    sandy
    I figured that they would freaking mess up on the translation of Pokemon...nevermind that it is actually a combination of the words Pocket & Monster or that the person who made Pokemon originally thought of them from when he was tending his garden and he saw little bugs. What is with the demonizing of any cartoon characters?

And all this time i thought the name pokemon was was inspired by male genitalia.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I heard many over the years, but this was a pretty dumb one told in a car group with all the sisters getting misty eyed hearing it...

2 sisters were out in service. A man let his big old mean dog out of the house to chase them away. The dog ran straight towards the sisters with big teeth gnashing reading to bite their heads off. When the dog got just a few feet away he suddenly fell to the ground like he had slammed into a wall. The dog died and when the owner took him to the vet. The vet wondered what had happened because the dog's neck was broken. The sisters then knew Jehovah had sent an angel to put up a wall to protect them..Can't remember what happened to the owner, but I imagine the story ended with the man studying the bible and being baptized because of his broken neck dog.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Hey SC_guy...Is there an evil story about Sponge Bob? Could watching that cartoon be what lead me to my JW downfall? I confess to watching it religiously...What I thought was innocent fun may have lead me down a path of ruin...

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Also my mothers brother-in-law swears that in his old congregation in Mex, he and all other Ws witnessed a Smurf doll, about 8", get out and walk out the Kingdom Hall!

What a smart Smurf!

Yep, I remember all of those, especially the 2 witnesses in Africa and the "witchdoctor" one.

Our congregation was divided on the Pokemon issue. I didn't give a fig that my kids collected the cards, had Pokemon shoes and t-shirts, etc. One pioneer sister forbade her son from having anything to do with them because of the "Little Demon" theory. I was always reminding my kids to respect her wishes and put away their Pokemon cards when he came to visit.

Oh, then there was that whole Goosebump business. An elder and his wife had two sons who read the books like crazy until there was a talk about it. Then they were relegated to the shed in the back yard until they could be destroyed, lest the demons infest their home. The boys were still watching every episode of X-files when we bailed. There were episodes of that show that my kids turned off of their own volition that those boys would talk about at the hall. Guess if it's under the guise of aliens, anything goes. Even incest and rape and the like. Blaahh.

But then I made my kids get rid of their copy of Harry Potter. Luckily, their teacher read it to them at school, and my youngest and I are reading it now. He's pretty angry that they preached so heavily about how bad Harry Potter was. I just let him vent when he needs to.

• ZeroKool29
    ZeroKool29

I am encouraged now, though. I went to visit my son recently, he's 6 and he lives with his grandma. Anyway, I went to thei house and, lo and behold, I saw a copy of Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in their video cabinet!!!!! I was astounded! Especially considering that her husband is an elder, and the video cabinet in question is in the living room WHERE THEY HAVE THE BOOK STUDY every monday night! I asked her about it one day. She said "Well, to be honest, I saw that it was getting alot of awards and people were saying how good it is. And then I figured, there's really nothing on that movie that they don't do on Power Rangers and stuff. And I let him watch THAT. SO I bought it." I guess there's hope after all.

Ever remember the WT and AWAKE! condemning BY NAME a band called Deicide? I must have haerd them mentioned 10 times or more. Deicide meaning "murder of a god." The lead singer, they said, had a scar from an accident in the shape of an inverted crucifix, that he say he hates Jehovah, and that he worships the Devil. I mark it a a step in my removal from the troof that I visited that band's website recently and read the lead-singer's bio.

By the way, here is a list of terms and their JW translation, for all of you who want to know:

Smurf = Little Demon

Pokemon = Satan's Erect Penis

Digimon = The Foul Rectum of Lucifer

Romper Room = The Fecund Realm of Beelzebub

Just to name a few.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

These posts made me recall a very strange part of JW culture. They give the demons a lot of power. There are endless stories about walking smurf dolls, talking dogs, and so on. Strangely, the demons have power to do these things in the direct presence of the supposedly angelically guided Witnesses - even inside Kingdom Halls in some stories! The power only wears off when the scared-breathless JW thinks to produce some amulet - either a copy of the Watchtower, or the name Jehovah, or, in a pinch, a "Life on a Peaceful New Earth" tract. At this point, the demons lose their power instantaneously and magically.

These stories are so basically mythological in nature, it's amazing. You can almost see an ancient shaman telling the story around his campfire. The goats were going wild until he produced the sacred root, which magically calmed them all down again! The gods were sending a terrible drought until he called on the name of the benevalent spirit, who sent a rescuing rain. It's always about forces beyond human control, and objects or invocations saving the day.

Funny to see how widespread these JW myths are. They must appeal to some basic human need. Interesting stuff.

SNG

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

It was probably the meter reader.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit