JW Urban Legends 2

by ZeroKool29 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• ZeroKool29
    ZeroKool29

Wow! Thanks for all of your replies to my last topic! Since it was so popular I thought we could use another one. Like Jomavrick pointed out, te Smurfs. Ahhhhh yes, the Smurfs. I'm sure we all remember that we were told that the word Smurf meant "little demon." I certainly was, and I was not allowed to watch that show growing up. I don't know if that explains why I've never liked the Smurfs, or if I never would have liked them. They always struck me as stupid. Anyway, a couple of years ago, I had occasion to go shopping with my son and his nanna. This was the woman who raised me and my siblings for many years in the troof. She recalls the "little demon" story. ANYWAY, my son sees some Pokemon merchandise and starts to ask about it. His nanna turns to him and says, so help me,

"Zachary, what did we learn about Pokemon? Pokemon means 'little demon.'"

I looked at her, mouth agape and said "HEY! I thought SMURF meant little demon!" She had no reply to this.

And what about K.I.S.S. standing for something sinister? Anyone remember what AC/DC supposedly meant?

Does anyone remember a little side-bar article in the Awake! about the movie E.T. and whether the filmmaker was trying to portray E.T. as a Christ figure with it's healing touch, etc?

And why is it that JW's everywhere will refuse to go see a wizard in a movie levitate things with his magic staff and some incantation, and yet they find nothing at all wrong with watching Yoda levitate things using "the force?" It's like, you can have any type of magic you want so long as it is depicted under the banner of science fiction, then somehow it's allright.

What about all of those "experiences" we used to hear about? These "true" stories about people who, because of the WTS's desire not to make one person sound more important than anyone else, could not be named? The most they could narrow it down to was "a brother in Africa."?????????????? I remember being told one about this "quick build" project was in desperate need of sand and there was a huge pile of it in the adjacent lot, but there was a fence seperating the lots and the owner of the lot was fiercely opposed to JW's. The JW's were meek and asked repeatedly to be allowed to buy the sand and the man refused and ridiculed them. One night, this freak storm pops up and in the morning every ounce of sand has been magically transferred from the opposers lot to the JW's lot. Or what about the "2 pioneers in Africa" who encountered a witch doctor who was trying a spell on them , they shout "Jehovah is stronger than you." at the man, and he falls to his back as if he was shoved down. They actually put THAT "experience" in one of thei publications, I forget which one. If anyone remembers please tell me. I remember seeing an illustration of it. An "artists rendering" of the event.

I'm pretty much out. Please, feel free to share. I'm sure freded will be all "I was THERE when those 2 African pioneers yelled at....I saw it all...." Just kidding. Later all!

• Joker10
    Joker10

A heard a sister say that she decorated her little son's room with anything Smurf- related. One morning she went into his room and found him with marks and small bruises. She didn't know what may have caused this. She didn't try to pay too much attention but it kept on happening every morning. After she started listening to these Smurfs stories, she took the whole wallpaper, toys, pajamas, everything out. After that, she never found her son like this.

Also my mothers brother-in-law swears that in his old congregation in Mex, he and all other Ws witnessed a Smurf doll, about 8", get out and walk out the Kingdom Hall! It belonged to a boy. No one said a word in amazement, and to not disturb the little divil!

• dustyb
    dustyb

lol, i remember K.I.S.S. meant Knights in Satan's Service and AC/DC was just another way of putting gay because you "plugged" into AC/DC. its all stupid now. i don't much like KISS, but AC/DC rocks!!

by the way, all rock music is "satanic" to a Jehovah's WItness. i remember an old lady that used to be like my second mom. she had a daughter, and the daugther really liked music like that, then she started to fade away from "the truth"(tm). she told me that rock music was demonized and i shouldn't get into listening it. what do i listen to now tho? sure isn't any barry manilow because he'll make you have wild, crazy sex with underage girls rather than blow shit up. at least blowing shit up isn't as in =D

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

See I find alot of the urban legend stuff funny because my sister told me about how an elder held a Smurf party, but he forbid any other girls to come as smurfette because his daughter was already going to dress up like her. So my sister had to go as Hefty Smurf. Very not cool. As for all the other rumors, the Kiss thing stems off of a t-shirt that they had, the AC/DC thing was on a news report and I saw it on pop up video once. When I was younger I was told not to listen to Nirvana or Metallica, when I left it was no one could listen to Marilyn Manson, whatever the big trend is the JW's will find a way not to let their kids get involved. I got real involved into underground Hardcore music so whenever someone asked me what kind of music I listened to I would give them a whole bunch of bands they never heard of, then they had no fuel for their fire. It wasn't like any elders were going to go out of their way to find a Very Catalogue and order the music I was listening to anyway. LOL! Too much man, thanks though for making me laugh about all the stupid rumors, life as a JW child how sad were we?

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

I remember the Urban Legend of the white haired elderly lady that was out witnessing to a man at his door who was later apprehended by police a short time afterwards.

He was supposedly a serial rapist and murderer and the reason he did not attack the elderly JW lady was because he was apparently caused to see a very large virilant mature male standing almost directly behind her, supposedly an angel because apparently Jehovah's angels are always watching out for his Watchtower peddlers in American suburbia and she was out alone.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I heard KISS meant Knights In Satan's Service

And AC/DC meant, After Christ/Devil Comes

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    Anyway, a couple of years ago, I had occasion to go shopping with my son and his nanna. This was the woman who raised me and my siblings for many years in the troof. She recalls the "little demon" story. ANYWAY, my son sees some Pokemon merchandise and starts to ask about it. His nanna turns to him and says, so help me,

"Zachary, what did we learn about Pokemon? Pokemon means 'little demon.'"

I overheard my aunt telling someone that she wouldn't buy any more pokemon stuff for her grandkids because the name in english was "pocket monsters" but in Japanese it was "pocket demons". I would wager that's probably true but that has more to do with differences in how demons/monsters are perceived in the two cultures than anything. Plus often things from Japan get "americanized" or tamed down for the north american market. Either way it's not like they were about to possess her grandkids but she was all uptight about it. My mom defended pokemon since I had a lot of it at that point in time. Of course mom also didn't know there were "psychic" "ghost" and "dark" type pokemon.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

I was told AC/DC was "Anti-Christ/Devil's Child"

• talesin
    talesin

Article: 'The Urban Legends of KISS'

http://www.kissasylum.com/dalesherman/issue5.shtml

I never heard about the 'smurf' thing till I started reading this board last year (guess there are advantages to being away from it for so long). I went through the whole evil KISS, Rolling Stones, AC/DC, etc "Rock'n'roll is the Devil's music" as a teen. What a load of claptrap! Playing records backwards yielding satanic messages. PHHHHHHTTTT!!!

t

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

I never could understand why my grandpa didnt want me watching "The Smurfs." I guess he heard Brother Blowhard mention they were demons so him being Brother UptightReactionary couldnt in good concience let us watch it knowing that someone thought it might be a satanic cartoon

When I was at his house one time I was watching "Duck Tales." I loved that show as a kid and it was the last Episode of a 5 parter (or maybe it was only 3?) I had been watching all week. Anyway it was back at Magica de Spell's lair and she was doing her incantations over her pentagram and my grandpa freaked out that the star of the devil was discreetly placed underneath the Witch. I had to miss the finale because of such stupid fanticism. It was like "OH MY GOD, SHE IS BEING PORTRAYED AS EVIL NOT AS SOME HERO. SO THE F WHAT."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit