JW Urban Legends 2

by ZeroKool29 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gopher
    Gopher
    What about all of those "experiences" we used to hear about?

A lot of exaggeration and fiction here. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I wonder if a lot of district overseers (and higher up) invented some of these to make it look like Jehovah was "blessing" the work in their particular region? Some of the experiences have supernatural overtones and are just plain freaky.

• cypher50
    cypher50

I figured that they would freaking mess up on the translation of Pokemon...nevermind that it is actually a combination of the words Pocket & Monster or that the person who made Pokemon originally thought of them from when he was tending his garden and he saw little bugs. What is with the demonizing of any cartoon characters?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    When I was at his house one time I was watching "Duck Tales."

Talking ducks? That has to be demonic! And why don't they wear pants?

• yxl1
    yxl1

I was told to get rid of my Hulk comics by Brother Uphisownarse because it was satanic. They even tried to say that my reading them was causing me not to want to go on the field service. Satanic? When has Satan ever been described as a 9 foot, green man in purple pants? Maybe I missed that watchtower study. I wonder how many of them went to see the movie.

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

After reading this thread yesterday, I was telling my boss about the Smurf urban legend. She was raised in the "Assemblies of God" church, which, as much as I know about them, is a "watered down" version of the Pentecostal church. "Charismatic" I think is the term. Anyway, my boss said she wasn't allowed to watch The Smurfs either as a child because they cast "spells". Any kind of magic is a "no no" with that religion, too, which surprised me. Also, they frown on Halloween activities and the children cannot go trick-or-treating.

She also told me that her church strongly believes in demon possession and said that she saw someone possessed by a demon first hand. She said it wasn't like The Exorcist, but scary anyway.

My point to all this is that there ARE other religions that have fanatical tendencies. What I find extremely amusing is that my boss is quick to call the JW's a cult, but can't see the similarities with her church.

GH

• vicioussss
    vicioussss

we were once related a story by a visiting missionary from haiti that a fire wiped out an entire street and the only building left standing was the kh - which was located smack bang in the middle of the street. when i heard his account i was a little dubious but still faithfully repeated the story to others like it was gospel.

or could it really be true? apparently the local voodoo bigwigs think this jehovah dude's got strong mojo

• cypher50
    cypher50
    My point to all this is that there ARE other religions that have fanatical tendencies. What I find extremely amusing is that my boss is quick to call the JW's a cult, but can't see the similarities with her church.

When people deal with something close to home then they are usually too defensive to actually see any faults or idiosyncracies. For instance, how many Witnesses have you talked to about flaws in the blood doctrine or about the UN NGO situation? How many didn't believe a word even after showing proof or dismissed what you told them as a small matter? This can even happen outside of religion...consider how many scientists dismiss a new scientific fact just because it flies in the face of previous theories. For instance, in the late 19th century, many thought that diseases such as cholera & malaria were caused by literally 'bad air'...this was called the miasma theory. In fact, the origin of the word 'malaria' is from the Italian phrase of mala aria (bad air)...a few scientists actually knew for most of that century that it wasn't bad air but contaminated water (cholera) & mosquitoes transmitting through bites (malaria) that caused these diseases. However, because the previous miasma theory had much older research it was respected and other theories were ignored (no matter how concisely researched & explained).

• berten
    berten

Tashawaa:

>I was told AC/DC was "Anti-Christ/Devil's Child"

joannadandy:

>...AC/DC meant, After Christ/Devil Comes

You two have it completely wrong,

It simply means : "Alternating Current/Direct Current"

Sound's evil enough,does'nt it ?

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

AC/DC is the electrical term and is just slang for swinging both ways. The covers of all AC/DC albums have large electric bolts between the letters.

I cannot remember the smurfs being banned, my parents got me the stuffed toys and the little characters were bought from a national petrol chain as they had them as a promotional thing. What really made me laugh was the amount of hysteria over 'heavy metal' music when I was in my teens, listening to Iron Maiden has obviously turned me into a baby eating satanist.

At the end of the day it is reflective of the culture of fear within the witnesses. The GB are afraid that people will turn away or that they will be found out as bogus, the r&f are all afraid that they will either die at armagheddon or else fall foul of one of the gb's arbitrary edicts and become df'd and shunned. Sad really that they spend so much effort looking for things to ban rather than spending the effort showing love not intolerance.

• Special K
    Special K

Welcome to the forum Zero.. since I'm sure I missed welcoming you here.

I never learned about the smurfs until I came to the forum...

I wonder if the WTS has come out with anything about "Harry Potter .. his books/movies"..

Can anyone elighten me on that one.

With everything else that they outlawed I figured this might be one on the top of their list.

sincerely

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit