Service meeting - Don't talk to disfellowshipped ones at the Memorial!

by truthseeker 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Truth - I'm so sorry to read about your marriage and understand the mental prison we create for ourselves. Is you family involved with the JW's? Are some congergations more welcome to DF'd members than others? As far as the Memorial - this is the first thread I've read about this particular ceremony. Is it like a re-creation of the Last Supper? Who gets to play Jesus?

On the Protestant side, it depends on the type of church. I went to a military church that had communion every week simply due to the number of soldiers coming and going. Others have it once a month, once a quarter or twice a year. The elements can be received at the alter by a minister or at the pews with trays of wine/grape juice and bread (leaven and non). Once again that depends on the church. This is done in rememberance of Christ and is not seen as a mystical transformation of the elements. Growing up I was not allowed to partake until I learned what it was about and why we reconize it. I always thought it morbid to partake and yet remember why He died and an overwhelming feeling of saddness hits me.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Hey kilroy; Read your post. Too bad such a lovely place like Wolverine has these problems. When I head to Indian River I pass your town, and as I go up I-75 and see the exit marker for your little town my first thought is of OZ! In all the world I have traveled, coming over the rise in Wolverine is one of the most breath taking spots on Earth. Maverick

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

You generally find that WTS' teachings based on shaky ground have to be dealt with at some length in talks. So a sizable portion of the Memorial Talk outline deals with

1) making sure the taking of the bread and wine is restricted

and

2) trying to prove that when Jesus said "keep doing this in remembrance of me", he meant annually.

To encourage all "interested persons" to come to a gathering to obey Jesus' instruction, pass the bread and wine to them and then exhort everyone to reject them is the greatest blasphemy.

Then to make an opinion on 'how often' a tenet of faith just again demonstrates what the Borg really is, a controlling cult.

• wednesday
    wednesday

When i was active we/I used to express dismay at all the useless people who just showed up for the memorial. We would say"do they really think Jehovah cares if they come for one meeting. They are wasting their time" Later, when i became irregualr, they said to me i was wasting my time going to the meeting, so i quit wasting my time.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Another point - Jesus told his disciples to "keep doing this continually in remembrance of me."said by newbie- Did Jesus speak of two classes or one class - or did he mean everyone? WELL If you are on the earth & you are one of the EVERYONE!!!!! You should be partaking.... He SAID ALL OF YOU!!!!!HeY ! I am somebody & I partake.....So if you want to obey Jesus- You should be taking the Wine & the Bread.. IN MEMORY of HIM

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Well thats it, now I'm not going!

What to do with my new memorial suit I just bought from Fingerhut!

• aunthill
    aunthill

Matt. 28: 19 & 20 - Go therefore and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all (not: except the bread and wine part) the things I have commanded you. [As the bOrg says: italics added]

When my friend decided to partake, back in 1981, someone told her to sit in the middle of the row, and that way the "brothers" had to pass the emblems to her. I wonder what they would have done back then if she had been sitting on the aisle.

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

Yet the borg will count all d'fed for their "worldwide" numbers, what a joke. Glad I will not be going. Hate to let anyone think I'm interested in their rubbish anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit