Yankee or Dixie?

by closer2fine 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

44% Yankee ..

M****R F****R I was born and raised in New York?!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

64% Dixie. This is very interesting since I have never ever been east of the Mississippi either to Yankee land or to Dixie land. Over here on the left coast we don't consider ourselves either of those things. Having said that, I think rural mountain dialect is pretty universal, I grew up in Montana. The closest I got to the south was my grandma grew up there but left in her early 20s and never went back. She's over a hundred now and doesn't speak to me because I'm the devil's own spawn.

Thangs that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Gretchen

• Mary
    Mary

Hey Mary, you must be from Southern Canada!

Actually, I think I read Gone With the Wind one too many times.

Lyin' Eyes said: But, I can tell ya a little something about us Southerner's, we love to have company , we love to feed ya, take ya to the local watering hole(bar) and we wouldnt have it any other way.

Does everyone in The South, Ah say The South, eat grits morning noon and night?? We were in Savannah one year and they gave me grits on my dinner plate!! Can't say I liked it, but the Southern Fried Chicken was absolutely the best I'd ever had.

• outnfree
    outnfree

50% Yankee -- which means just barely! Must be why waiting tolerates me.

Spent the first 24 years of my life in NJ and NY state (with a brief 6 mos. overseas), 7 in Ontario, Canada, and 18 in Michigan. How'd I get so close to Dixie?!!!

out

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Does everyone in The South, Ah say The South, eat grits morning noon and night?? We were in Savannah one year and they gave me grits on my dinner plate!! Can't say I liked it, but the Southern Fried Chicken was absolutely the best I'd ever had.

Grits is a breakfast food. Unless you cook breakfast at night, which some of us do, you wouldn't usually eat grits after breakfast. Generally, not all grits are created equal. The brand you use and who cooks it can make a huge difference in how it tastes. I personally prefer Cream Of Wheat eaten grits style, with some butter or unhealthy margerine and salt to taste.

I recall my sister in law over hearing a yankee lady wanting to try a grit, not grits but a grit at the Shoney's breakfast bar. She liked grits so she asked where she could buy a can of it. We found this very amusing since grits come dry in a box.

Heather

• Nikita
    Nikita

49% Yankee-born and raised in Philadelphia, but have lived the last 14 years in the South.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit