Living with Your Parents Well Into Adulthood the Norm?

by Sorry 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• DJS
    DJS

Double Ditto to the above.

• blondie
    blondie

My home was a very unhappy place. I moved out when I was 19 but moved back when I was 21 when my father divorced my mother and left her almost penniless. I paid 1/2 of all the expenses and then some until she finished school and got a very good job with a large corporation. Then I moved out. Had roommates for a couple of years until I could afford an apartment on my own until I got married.

• TD
    TD

I have an adult child living at home. Some of it is her own doing. She chose a liberal arts rather than a stem career, which not only pays less, it required a Masters to be employable. (And in the U.S., that can easily set you back 50k)

To be fair though, it has become harder to leave the nest, regardless of your field.

• under the radar
    under the radar

There are many reasons why some choose to live at home with their parents well into adulthood. Some financial, some sentimental, some just pure laziness or a sense of entitlement. Still, it's really not anyone else's concern as long as all involved are ok with it.

But I strenuously object to anyone choosing not to work so they can "live at home and Pioneer" if they are on any kind of public assistance. If I knew or suspected that someone was on welfare and pioneering instead of working or actively looking for work, I'd turn them in in a heartbeat. Doubly so if they were mooching off the system with some "disability" scheme. If you can knock on doors for hours at a time, you can do some kind of work.

Welfare cheats and disability fraudsters cost all of us tons of money every year. Turn 'em in! If you know of someone pulling this crap and don't want to turn them in yourself, PM me the details and I'll start the ball rolling myself. I love it when supposedly upstanding people are exposed for the thieves and hypocrites they are.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yeah baby boomers wrecked the economy and the planet and blame their children for being "lazy".

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Having privacy, peace, quiet, no constant thoughts of what's needed for dinner, not having to listen to others' tv, shower, phone conversations - that's the life i dream of.

I could say much more but i think the meaning is clear enough.

• raven
    raven

Ridiculous, I remember this too- In my ex KH the young people would pioneer and serve in various ways, by doing so their families let them stay with them rent free since they were serving Jehovah "full time".. My mother also offered me the same deal, I was only allowed to stay at home after 18 by pioneering.... I moved out at 19.

• mayushii
    mayushii

I see it a lot these days among the general population, but I live in a part of the USA where median rent for a studio apartment is $2000 per month due to tech workers' insanely inflated salaries (a tech intern makes more than I do as a college educated social services professional). I remember reading a local news article about doctors being priced out of the same neighborhood my husband and I were priced out of in 2013. I can't imagine how JWs with little to no education could survive around here... maybe as cosmetologists or general contractors? Or by inheriting their dead parents' home that they paid off in the 1970s?

So assuming the tech industry doesn't implode, my daughter's options if she chooses a path like mine would be to move out and share a tiny apartment in a rough neighborhood with a friend (or multiple friends), or continue to live with us until she marries.

No shade thrown at young adults who would rather pay their parents rent and be safe and comfortable than live like I did before I moved in with my husband (then boyfriend), sharing a studio next door to a halfway house with drug dealers and prostitutes loudly peddling their wares in the alleyway under my roommate's and my 6th story window. If my parents weren't an abusive and an enabling pair of religious nut jobs I might have done the same.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

mayushil: I also live in a part of USA where median rent is outrageous so I came up with a plain for my son. I'am investing in real estate, I will take care of the down payment and we split the mortgage payment. After 3-5 years and hopefully property value continue to increase, we can sell if the time is right or he can buy me out and keep the property.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

We have a 28 year old son still living with us till next fall when he should be tenured at the college he teaches at. He has been saving and investing wisely since he graduated from university two years ago . He should have about one hundred thousand to put down on a house of his own by then . We have an in law suite built into our house so if any of our children fall into hard times they know they have a place to live .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit