Do You Think 10% Tithing is Coming?

by xjwsrock 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Many churches are set up like a business with a paid minister , as well as other employees, also paid. Bus service and the like. They need a tithe to operate like that. Unless the WT goes that route, I don't think a 10% tithe will ever happen.
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

What's really funny is even though they are struggling for money, they continue to demonize higher education.

I'm sure they'll really start to talk down upon any sort of vacation and other activity that might take away from their potential donation money since they know all who listen to their advice can barely if not pay their bills already.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    do you hink 10% tithing coming?

NO.

*** w75 6/1 p. 324 Millions Have Left the Churches—Should You? ***
    WHY DO THEY LEAVE?
    The reasons that people give for abandoning the churches are many and varied. Some in West Germany do it in order to be relieved of paying the church tax. More often, however, the reason involves changes in Roman Catholic teaching in recent years. These have confused many persons who thought that they had the true apostolic religion. As one Catholic priest in the United States put it: “If the things the Church has said in the last ten years are true, then everything it said for the last 2,000 years is false.”
    A lot of JWs have problems with all the changings and "new lights".
    Which JW can explain the new generation teaching?
    Thiting will be last nail in the coffin for some JWs.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I think that a 10% tithe would never happen. In fact, they could use that as an example of tge heavy handedness of the churches of Christendom.

However, they could point out that regular, planned giving could help the society plan in advance for expansion and also lovingly help the brothers to fit donations into their budget.

Once a year, just sit down and "count the cost" and make a pledge for monthly giving based on what they could afford. Each household would be given a form with their pledge amount declared and sent back to the congregation to keep on record. They could even be given sealable envelopes so the donations would be able to be tracked to the family.

This has the advantage of still feeling the amount is voluntary to the JW and for the Org, they get pledged donations on a regular basis.

This is exactly how my MILs Catholic church does it, down to the "anonymous" envelopes.

And this could all be spun as a loving blessing from Jehovah.

10%, no. Planned, regular donations, yes, I can see that coming.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

A minister in a church in Dallas for many years..He tells of a man in the church who once made a

covenant with a former pastor to tithe 10% of their income every year. They were both young

and neither of them had much money. But things changed. The layman tithed 1 thousand the

year he earned 10 thousand, 10 thousand the year he earned 100 t and 100t the year he

earned a million. But the year he earned six million he just could not bring himself to

write a check for 600thousand dollars to the church. He telephoned the minster and ask to

see him. He bagged the minster to be let out of the covenant, saying "this tithing business

has to stop. It was fine when my tithe was one thousand dollars, but I just cannot afford

600 thousand dollars. You've got to do something, Reverend.

The pastor knelt on the floor and preyed silently for a long time. Eventually the man said,

what are you doing? Are you praying that God will let me out of the covenant to tithe?

No, said the minster. I'am praying for God to reduce your income back to the level where

one thousand dollars will be your tithe!

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

GrreatTeacher - those are some good points. I could see that type of program being implemented, especially since they already did an anonymous pledge last year for the new "loan-forgiven" arrangement.

James, that could be a great illustration for an assembly part after the new program gets implemented. The friends would chuckle to themselves and then dutifully pay their tithe/pledge.

• Gayle
    Gayle
    They will some way make all feel guilty. That it is R & F fault that needy congs in world cant get a KH, that the poor cant have a wondrous convention together, That the poor can't get some literature or Bible. They will blame everyone else and apostates. Their guilt methods can be very powerful. But then the org, builds or upgrades their "vaticans.,"
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think they'll enforce a "donation" on a congregation basis.

I really think there would be a major revolt if they went the route of a 10% tithe like some other religions. However, you well know that they have no problem in quoting the scripture about "equalizing" and suggesting a per publisher donation. They do it for the CO's cars and insurance. They do it for the costs of bringing missionaries home for International Conventions. They do it for the "costs" associated with assemblies at the Assm Halls.

It would be simple to see this happen for their overall costs of the WWW. Some pubs can do it. Some cannot. Some can and will do more. Just so the Cong meets its quota.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit