Did You Ever Luke ANY Songs From The “Songbook “?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Anyone remember when the pink first came out? At your KH did they have special mtgs on Saturday night to practice the new songs? I remember my KH did that, not a formal mtg, just the songs, no talks are anything.

Also at our KH for a while, along with our piano player when the pink songbook came out, we also had a sister playing the violin, then another sister joined in who could play the flute and a brother joined with his bass guitar. I don't think that little jazz combo lasted longer than a year. Was just a kid then, but now I'm probably sure that a Circuit Servant put an end to that.

• fiddler
    fiddler

I think it must have been in 1968 or 69 that the pink songbook came out. I just know I was initially quite upset that my favorite song wasn’t in it but I grew to ‘love’ many of the songs in the pink book. I also remember showing our semi hard cover songbook to my Sourhern Baptist neighbor and her being quite impressed with how ‘pretty’ it was. Whatever...although it was....kinda pretty. She did comment on how skinny it was...not so many songs as in her church songbook.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

"How can you believe me when I say I love you when you know I've been a liar all my life". Oh hell, sorry folks that's is a country-western song but it would be a great title for a JW song...

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

The songbook that I grew up with was the 1984 brown songbook. My favorite musical instrument is the piano, so I liked hearing many of the old songs at the meetings. The newest songbook is completely different and is no longer set to piano. Most of the old songs are gone and the few that remain have been tweaked. In general the new songbook sucks.

BTW…does anyone know why the 2010 songbook only lasted 5 years?

• sir82
    sir82

Who can forget this toe-tapper?

C'mon everyone, sing along!

Song 125 from the old 1984 "Brown" songbook:

2. I know that in this crucial hour

My faith will yet be tested.

Around me swarms the Devil’s crowd

Like bees that were molested.

But I can ever beat them off

Beneath divine protection.

On those who love to bear his name,

God sets his deep affection.

Does "Christendom" have songs about molested bees? Of course not!

Only the "faithful and discreet slave" could come up with humdingers (or would that be humstingers) like that one.

And then to add the mental imagery of beating off those molested bees....priceless! Priceless, I tell ya!

• Dagney
    Dagney

^^^

How could we forget! Giggles all around on that one.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Question - did "Make the Truth Your Own" make it into the new songbook?

• cofty
    cofty

What was the song that started like a dirge and then the second half of each verse was suddenly all upbeat like a bad Disney tune?

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Dumb dumb dum-dumbbb..

• scotsman
    scotsman

cofty

lazarus lay sleeping, in a cold stone grave...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit