Did You Ever Luke ANY Songs From The “Songbook “?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Some cheerful ones...

yes all men are crying

for all men are dying

none from the grave

his life can save

all his life is misery

...or close to that

• Hisclarkness
    Hisclarkness

As a musician I will say that many of the songs from the old songbook had great structural harmonizations. Many radical and progressive key changes that made for interesting listening - just from a purely musical perspective. They really stood out against “Christendom”’s bland hymnals.

Unfortunately, with the new songbook and the whole “simplication” theme, they managed to erase all of those nice musical nuances in favor of bland sounding material.

For example, look at the slight musical change they made in “Make the Truth Your Own”. They took out the one line of radical key changes (that was awesome) and replaced it with a bland progression. No true musician would have favored such a change so I have no idea what the thinking was behind those types of change.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

oppostate

oppostate 11 hours ago

I don't think anybody Luked molested bees.

Fast forward to 4:43 to hear this woman sings the Molested Bee song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSe09ZfhU4

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I actually did. So when they changed it all back in 2011/2012, it really helped me in leaving the cult. They were saying: We had to change the some of the lyrics to fit in line with new light, but then, they actually changed some of the classic and also changed text that didn't need to change. No one around liked the change and I realized that they were more of "you'll do as you`re told" rather than leading out of love.

Thankfully, I didn't need to stick around much longer, I left in 2013.

• minimus
    minimus

I really luke this thread! I have to tell you I never noticed the typo until just now. I’m cracking myself up. .... you guys😀

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

I had a pet hate... Being a musician I couldn't understand why we were only permitted to use the orchestra arrangements to sing to at assemblys and the dryballs plonking unaccompanied piano tracks at the kingdom hall, it was so cringe worthy, it was such a cardboard, drab excuse for song... Not even some reverb or strings to colour it. Puke....

Oh and had to laugh at some of the stupid lyrical attempts to rhyme... Efficacious...! Wtf effen ridiculous more like it

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

When I was very young, "We Thank You JeWhatever" was a favorite. I tried. Frankly, my memories now of those songs involve my ex-wife stepping in beat while she sang at conventions. smh

Needless to say, these songs were propaganda set to very bad music and sang by the delusionally groomed.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    Summer Angel - Quite a few were blatant hymn rip offs

As far as the pink songbook and the green songbook before the pink one, that's not much of a secret. That's why,for the old timers here who remember #1 from the green songbook "Hail Him" they kind of let that one go, I remember when we sang that one back in the 60's, that one was almost like a Baptist Church hymn that had folks running up and down the aisles speaking in tongues, it got you going.

As far as the other songs, "from house to house, from door to door" I remember the melody and those words, I remember #19,the Hawaiian song. Take Sides with Jehovah seemed to be a popular one. Keep your eyes on the prize. Since I was a born in and a child when these songs were sung of course I remember the melodies and a few of the words.

• Downtowner
    Downtowner

I had several favorites from the brown songbook which I grew up with but one was Make the Truth Your Own (the tune more than the lyrics. I liked how it flowed.) I don't understand why they got rid of the original tune. Also why they ditched Be Glad You Nations. The new song book is worse than the 2009 one.

• fiddler
    fiddler

Back in the ‘60’s (yeah, I’m old) we had this green song book. I had a favorite song, which I don’t remember the name of, but when I was in 4th grade I was learning to play the violin and using the old Muller Rusch book which, lo and behold, had that very melody in it called ‘The Guiding Light’. I got in an argument with a girl in my orchestra class over that song because she insisted it was one of her church songs and I insisted it Couldn’t be because we sang it at our Kingdom Hall. In my little 9 year old brain I was already brainwashed to think that JWs would Never have a song shared by Christendom! I’m pretty sure she must have thought I was a bit crazy arguing over this but truly, it upset me! Even so, cognitive dissonance for a 9 year old stopped me from questioning it any further. It got tucked away in what would become a load of cognitive dissonance bricks that finally crumbled when I was 41. I use that Muller Rusch violin book with my students now and always think of that when my students get to that song. By the way, that song was deleted when the pinkish songbook came out....of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit