BOLD move

by Puternut 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Puternut
    Puternut

I have been a dub for too long, and most of my ambitions were hindered because of the 'kingdom first' issue. I never persued the things I wanted to do in life. And everywhere I go I run into people that I know, and they give me the 'dirty look'. Not that I am affected by that, but it brings back too many memories. Everywhere I go, stores, shops, restaurants, it also brings memories of the times I used to spend with my ex and children. It's all very painful. I have a good running business in the Nortwest, but since I am wholesale, I can move it anywhere, since most of my clients take orders through the mail. But I have been in business for 26 years and I am tired of it.

I am seriously contemplating the boldest and craziest move of my entire life. I have been in the Northwest for about 18 years, and am just tired of the cold. I grew up in the Caribbean and miss the warm weather and sunshine. I used sailed between the islands for days on end. I never knew about snow, until I was 16.

I want to move on with my life:

For years I have dreamed of sailing around the world. I recently sold my home, due to my divorce, and I want to buy a small, ocean worthy, sailing vessel. About 55 footer is plenty. I don't want to go around the entire globe, but want to set course for the South Pacific. I had some friends, who I knew from the US Virgin Islands, and they made the global tour. They had a two masted scooner. It took them a year and a half to complete that. They ran into pirates (drug runners) once, and escaped. But from what I hear the South Pacific is quiet.

I know how to live simple, and live off the ocean. Fishing, desalination, canned foods, dried goods, etc, etc. There is a lot of trading, with people who are ocean bound sailors. And there are many ports where sailors go to do this. I have navigation skills as a pilot, though a little rusty with ocean navigation now, but it's like riding a bicycle, you don't forget how to. And these days with GPS (Global Positioning System) and modern technology, we don't have to sail like Columbus with his sextant and hourglass and knotted rope.

I just can't get this thought out of my head, and I am in a prime position to do this. It's extremely bold and scary, but at the same time adventurous, exciting and challenging. I want to sell everything I own, and live on my boat. There's not much left for me here in the Northwest anymore. I dream about it, and think about it all day long. The warmth, islands, mermaids and oceans are calling me..............

Puternut

• Valis
    Valis

If you can sustain yourself then go for it! Just make sure you have a backup plan in case things go awry becuase of the elements or other circumstances! Best of luck!

http://www.cnn.com/NATURE/9905/03/japan.sailor/

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• shotgun
    shotgun

Then you could puter all day.....sounds like paradise.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

I'd say go for it.

and watch out for the pirates

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Years ago there was a tv.series called "FOLLOW the SUN"about two guys on a schooner???,I think.Anyway my dad use to love to watch that show,being he was a navy man,victory at sea and all of that.

I have dreamed of what you are BOLDY thinking of doing also.Go ahead as Elvis sung "I've Got to Follow that Dream wherever that dream may lead me".Go and follow the sun but not alone.

Blueblades

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Good Idea. Can you take JCanon with you?

• Sassy
    Sassy

As we have learned, this life may be all we have, so why not take advantage of it! If you think you would enjoy it, GO FOR IT...

• Odrade
    Odrade

What a wonderful idea! Just make sure you have a back-up plan in case the isolation starts getting to you. If you are situated for that now...it might be wise to get away from the painful stuff for awhile to catch your breath and get your feet under you. Good luck!

O

• Special K
    Special K

Let me know if you sail up the Canadian East coast.....but a bit colder here than you would like (I think).. summer maybe..

special K

• Puternut
    Puternut

xjw_b12,

I don't know if I know JCanon, but yeah I can always use crew members. I think I am going to be gone for about a year or two. And yes I do have a back up plan. I have several options as a matter of fact. But it's something that will be an experience of a life time. I either find an island that I will call home, or I come back to the US and start afresh with my business. I am just burned out here, and need a new perspective on life.

Puternut

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit