How long did it take you to stop being afraid of the demons?

by doodle-v 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    If the god of the bible is going to kill people for not believing the bible, well I don't want to know that evil god. I don't want to live in a world ruled by that god either. So I don't care about judgement day.

Actually, I've been learning ALOT about the Jewish perspective of the Old Testament and believe me, alot of it is NOT what the Borganization teaches. I was quite shocked to learn that many Jews believe that God gave us Free Will, but that we are not automatically punished for choosing one way over another. Plus, their idea on Original Sin is vastly different from ours. It can get quit complicated, but I was fasinated just the same, as I always assumed that the Borg's view and the Jewish view on the OT was pretty much the same....it's not and I have to say, I think I agree more with the Jewish view on the OT (on some things anyway), that the WTs. One area I especially found interesting is that Jews do not believe that life here on earth was the first "creation" by God.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Mary

Thanks for that insight. I don't know much about Jewish beliefs really. So do they not believe in a punishment for those not following the bible?

I think that people like Love Truth are blinkered by the bible and simply take its message too literally (where it suits them).

I noticed you say you believe in Satan. Is there any logical reason why the evil spirits (demons, whatever you'd call them) would have a leader? What is his ultimate aim then?

Dark things can often be seen to be necessary. Without darkness, we would never know what light really is.

Sirona

• franklin J
    franklin J

when I was a kid, I was not allowed to watch " I dream of Jeannie" or "Bewitched" or " Dark Shadows", because it was thought that they were demonized and that the demons could "get us" through the TV .

( I guess they got me).

My parents ( mother especially) would not touch any antique object thinking that it might be what was called " a beach head" for the demons to attach themselves to.

As a child I was taught to fear them ( well I had the great shield of Truth to protect me and could call on the name of Jehovah). As an adult I have come to accept those teachings to be the same as the stories of Greek Mythology ( I actually prefer the Greek Mythology over the Christian).

Although I have never had a supernatural experience; I do believe that there are some unexplainable events. Are they the Demons I was taught to fear as a child? I do not think so.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

Well I find it hard to believe in an existence of spiritual beings. One thing I do know is that the WTS teachings about demons causes irreputable damage and unnatural fear especially to children. I don't think there are any demons running around possesing furniture in garage sales and targeting Witnesses like they teach. That is just plain silly, and unfortunately many people believe it. I was one of them. When I had nightmares as a little girl I would think the demons were attacking and would try to pray to jehober to make them go away.

• Goofball
    Goofball
    If the god of the bible is going to kill people for not believing the bible, well I don't want to know that evil god. I don't want to live in a world ruled by that god either. So I don't care about judgement day.

I felt this way for a long time, and still do, to some extent. Demons, well I believe there are negative forces, as well as positive forces at play in the universe. To categorize them as either "good" or "evil" is beyond me. I do remember the whole smurf craze...bad smurfs...baaaaddd!

Anyway, the idea of the personification of "good" or "evil" doesn't make much sense, in my opinion. Besides, who would categorize the murder of hundreds of men, women and children because of their non-belief in someone else's "personification of good," as such? This is what happened numerous times during the days described in the OT, by the hands of men acting on behalf of their god. Judgement day...hmmm, seems to me to be pretty close to the "ethnic cleansing" of these biblical times, and doesn't sound so "good" to me. If this is the plan of any god, I want no part of it.

just my humble opinion...

--Mark

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I stopped believing what JWs teach about demons when I started watching "Charmed" and nothing bad happened to me. Before that, I remember having seen The Sixth Sense and was too afraid to bring the movie stub home with me... how stupid is that? It just makes me laugh now. Family still in the JWs are always saying this or that's "demonic" and I just laugh and remember how gullible I used to be.

I figure they probably don't exist, or at least not in the way that JWs think. I haven't really decided about all that supernatural stuff, it's probably all a silly hoax anyway.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

itsallgood,

It took me awhile before I could watch horror movies as well. No I watch them all the time and its no big deal. I still have catch up because I havent even seen all the Freddy and Jason movies! lol

• Goofball
    Goofball

I guess I didn't completely get over the fear of being "demonized" for about eight or nine years. Now that I think about it, I had serious reservations about moving in with a roommate years ago because he kept all kinds of items related to his wiccan beliefs. I was nervous about just sleeping in the same house with those things for quite a while...I've since gotten over it (and have even taken the his broom for a spin once or twice...hehehe). Aside from waking up with my eyeballs on the floor every now and again, the demons have left me alone. But, you know they say that you won't be bothered if you've already joined their side...forgot about that....

• Mary
    Mary
    So do they not believe in a punishment for those not following the bible?

I'm sure it varies from person to person, but the (Jewish) Professor I talk to most about it indicated that Judaism is not interested in getting converts like Islam and Christianity are. If someone wants to covert to Judaism, that's great but there doesn't seem to be the judgemental attitude that we're so used to. The Jews think that all scripture is open to interpretation and love to debate and give different ideas and opinions on the scriptures.

I noticed you say you believe in Satan. Is there any logical reason why the evil spirits (demons, whatever you'd call them) would have a leader? What is his ultimate aim then?

Well I certainly don't have all the answers, but yes, I absolutely believe in Satan and the demons. What is his ultimate aim? I would assume it's to keep this world stirred up and cause hatred, strife and suffering here on earth. I think it's dangerous to do things like play with ouija boards, perform senances or other stuff like that. I could be wrong, but I think it's just leaving yourself open to problems.............

• Gerard
    Gerard

http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/2002/8/1/article_02.htm

and : http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/1999/9/1/article_01.htm

I came across this article by the WT: "Do Superstitions Control Your Life?

It is ridiculous to read their description of a "superstitious culture" when their doctrine is filled with it.

Take a look at their article and its contradictions:

Many superstitions basically stem from a fear of spirits of the dead or of spirits of any sort. Events are interpreted as attempts by these spirits to contact the living with a threat, a warning, or a blessing. [...] Superstitious traditions hold that illness and accidents are, not simply chance happenings, but events instigated by forces in the spirit world.

And just below it reads:

Even though we cannot see them, evil spirit creatures do exist. [...] Satan would like to lull us into believing that he can offer us a better way of life. Hence, some temporary benefits may seem to come through the intervention of wicked spirits. But they can offer no lasting solutions. They cannot possibly bestow eternal life on anyone, and they are soon to be destroyed. Our Creator is the only source of eternal life and true happiness and the best possible protection against wicked spirit forces.

By using their own defining parameters, doesn't this statement make the WT a religion operating on superstition?

Of course! And the reason is obvious: The WT implants phobias and FEARS into its unsuspecting followers only to have them seek shelter under the Mother Organization and thus, tightening their control over the JWs. Just read the next paragraph on that same article:

Divine help gives faithful worshipers of God protection from direct attack by wicked spirits. However, Satan may try to get individuals to compromise their faith.

"Divine help" is dished out -of course- only by the WT; And only its "faithful worshipers" are entitled to such protection.

Even when informed people understand the biological nature of sickness, they may still fear supernatural influences. Sorcerers and traditional healers use this fear to exploit people.

Lesson 1: OUR demons are real and wicked

Lesson 2: YOUR demons are superstitious BullS*%#.

Are we supposed to believe that the WT never implanted fear into its followers with the intent to quench independent thinking and exploit them?:

*** The Golden Age, Feb 4 1931 p. 293 The Sacredness of Human Blood (Reasons why vaccination is unscriptural) *** [ Note: not available on 1993/1995/1999 CD-ROM]

Quite likely there is some connection between the violation of human blood [vaccines] and the spread of demonism...

*** Watchtower 1983 January 15 p.22 Exposing the Devil's Subtle Designs ***

Avoid Independent Thinking

20 From the very outset of his rebellion Satan called into question God's way of doing things. He promoted independent thinking. 'You can decide for yourself what is good and bad,' Satan told Eve. 'You don't have to listen to God. He is not really telling you the truth.' (Genesis 3:1-5) To this day, it has been Satan's subtle design to infect God's people with this type of thinking. [...]

22 This fact cannot be overemphasized: We are in a war with superhuman foes, and we constantly need to be aware of this. Satan and his demons are real; they are not mere figments of the imagination. They are "the world rulers of this darkness," and we have a spiritual fight against them. (Ephesians 6:12) It is absolutely vital that we recognize their subtle designs and not allow ourselves to be overreached by them. Very appropriately, then, we will next consider how we can arm ourselves to fight against these wicked spirits.

The WT is a cult that makes use of thought-controling techniques such as implanted fears (e.g: prowling demons).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit