How long did it take you to stop being afraid of the demons?

by doodle-v 30 Replies latest jw friends

• El blanko
    El blanko

So, I assume by the comments that everybody on this thread no longer believes in malevolent spirits?

Dr John Dee & Eliphas Levi are worthwhile information sources to develop a faith in the spirit world again. Just don't say I sent you!

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Sounds to me like another case of throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Many ex-JWs seem to trash EVERYTHING when they leave, I don't see a reason to do so, not wise, IMHO. Satan, and his Demons do exist, and that is precisely why we have the wicked happenings we do have on this earth

Yes, there were many moronic tales told of possesions, etc, and supersttious people who in their frenzy to comply with the "organization" went over the deep end.

But that in itself does not disprove that there are wicked sprit forces at work. Seems to me if I were Satan, I'd want everyone to believe I don't exist, it makes my job that much easier.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Love Truth (nice Avatar BTW)

Many ex-JWs seem to trash EVERYTHING when they leave, I don't see a reason to do so, not wise, IMHO

I agree. Unfortunately the JW experience leaves some people bitter and the knock on effect is that they steer clear of anything to do with religion as a whole.

Satan, and his Demons do exist, and that is precisely why we have the wicked happenings we do have on this earth

Satan is mentioned in the bible, and I don't take the bible literally. The "satan caused wickedness" idea is something that JWs and some other bible-religions believe and I think that this is way off target in terms of why there are bad things happening. I have learned to accept that death and decay (and things related to them) are natural and necessary. Atrocities by humans are another matter - they are the result of either human sickness (mental illness for instance) or simply humans using their free will unfortunately in the wrong way.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe in spirit beings. I also think that some spirit beings can be harmful to us. However, the whole "one good versus one evil" idea is purely zoroastrian and too simplistic to describe things that go on in the universe.

Back to the original question: It took me a while to be free of the irrational fear of demons. Probably a couple of years after leaving, I think, before I truly felt free of it. Nowadays, I only get spooked when a spook jumps out when I'm not prepared for it. LOL .... no seriously.

Sirona

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

I see. Like many who leave, you choose to believe the Bible is not the inspired word of God, not to be taken literally.

I would disgree. I believe it to be the inspired word of God, and while there are many Scriptures that are obviously not meant to be taken literally, the vast majority are. Further, I believe that hios word, the Bibile, is the only way we can come to know Him, and his purpose for his creation, as well as how we can attain salvation.

But, as I'm sure you're already aware, God gave us all our own free will. What we do with it is what will make the difference on Judgement Day.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Love Truth

Maybe this isn't the thread for this debate. I wonder how you can be so sure of the bible's authorship.

But, as I'm sure you're already aware, God gave us all our own free will. What we do with it is what will make the difference on Judgement Day.

If the god of the bible is going to kill people for not believing the bible, well I don't want to know that evil god. I don't want to live in a world ruled by that god either. So I don't care about judgement day.

Of all the gods, Jehovah doesn't seem to be at all loving. There are other gods who I'd turn to first.

Sirona

• shotgun
    shotgun

It took about 6 months..there are still little thoughts that surface but rarely.

I figured that if God decided to confine the Demons to the Earth with mankind and he had billions of empty planets to choose from then they can't be all that bad.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I believe in their existance and shall continue to fear them 'til the day I die.

DY

• Love_Truth
  • Mary
    Mary
    Many ex-JWs seem to trash EVERYTHING when they leave, I don't see a reason to do so, not wise, IMHO. Satan, and his Demons do exist, and that is precisely why we have the wicked happenings we do have on this earth

I agree. Although I discount much of what the Society says, I absolutely believe in Satan and his demons. There's too much bad and evil stuff going on in the world and I firmly believe that Satan IS behind most of the suffering. Plus, there are many other people besides Witnesses who have had experiences with Possession----and I don't believe it's all in their head. The Exorcist was loosely based on a true story. Even though most of my friends have left the Borg, they still firmly believe in Satan.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Doodle-v,

Demon rum is the only one I know personally...and I ain't scared of him.

-BONEZZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit