After a year I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!

by gilwarrior 27 Replies latest jw friends

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Hello everyone. I’m not sure if anyone remembers me, but I used to post her until January of 2003. The last time I wrote here I mentioned that I was leaving Las Vegas and movie back to Houston. Well I was very depressed and I promised myself that I would not write here again until I felt my life was better. I have to say that this past year has been good. While I was in Vegas I drove a cab for a while so when I came back I thought that I could get a job has a cab driver here in Houston. Well after a week of training and taking a test I got a job as a cab driver. Now let me say that there are many cities where you can make good money as a cab driver, but Houston is not one of them. Driving a cab in Houston sucks. I spent twice as much gas as I did in Vegas and made only a fraction of the money. In Vegas I would keep half of what I made and gave the other half to the cab company. In Houston you give the cab company a flat fee. The problem was that I would get so few customers that there would be very little money leftover. There were also several days where I didn’t even made enough money to cover the cab company’s fee and I had to pay out of my own pocket! Needless to say I quit after a month. I decided to swallow my pride and start working with my Dad again. It wasn’t that bad, but I wanted a regular job.

Around April I went to live with my best friend and former roommate, Eli. It was great being roommates again. In June I decided to go back to school. I started taking classes at San Jacinto College. My goal is to finish my basic courses in a year and a half and then transfer to the University of Houston and finish the rest of my career in a year and half. I want to get my Accounting degree in three years instead of four. It will be tough, but I know I can do it. In the summer I took College Algebra and English I. In the fall I took History I, Government I, Speech, and Finite Math. The Finite Math class was a killer. When classes started the class was full with thirty students. When we took our final exam there only six (that’s right, six) of us left. Surprisingly, I got a B in that class. During Christmas vacation I took a winter Mini Course that lasted three weeks. I took Government II. Right now I’m taking History II, Chemistry I, Accounting I, Martial Arts, and Motion Picture Arts. So far I’m doing OK. About a month ago I moved out of my roommate’s apartment, cause it wasn’t safe there anymore. However, I’m still helping him out with the rent and bills until his lease expires this month. There are no ill feelings and we are still good friends. I live with my parents. That sucks since I just turned 30, but they are good people. About two weeks ago I got a job with a company that prepares taxes. They sent me to this Western Union place where people send money, get money orders, cash their checks and such. I have my own desk where I help people who want their taxes done. This job is supposed to last only until the end of tax season, but I hope to get some good Accounting and tax experience here. I do that during the day and go to school at night. On the weekend I help my dad in his bakery. So far my life is good. I hope it get better and if it doesn’t hope to cope with whatever problems come my way.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I remember you! Welcome back! Glad you're okay and going to college.

Nina

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Hey ((Gilwarrior))

"So far my life is good. I hope it get better and if it doesn?t hope to cope with whatever problems come my way."

Great attitude! Wow, you have really done some major life changes! Very good. It is great to hear how people have taken control of their lifes and do what is best for them. Of course it is never easy, but you are making the effort and it will pay off in the long run.

Keep up the good work and let us know when you get your degree and decide to go to be a CPA!!!

lol, and we can say we knew you when.

Hugs,

Joy

• Gopher
    Gopher

I remember you !! Welcome back, and glad to hear things are going better for you.

Best wishes on getting that accounting degree, man! That'd be so great.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Hi gil! I don't know how anyone could forget you! You're not exactly the average run-of-the-mill guy.

It sounds like you're keeping pretty busy, thats good. Glad to hear your life is going well these days. Welcome back.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Of course I rememeber you,,,,,,,,,,glad things are looking up for you,,,and glad to have you back with us.............hugs Dede

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

What's shakin there brudda? Welcome back.

• Flash
    Flash

I'm new here but I'd thought I'd say 'Hello.'
    I've been Blue Collar for 28 years but you don't get rich. Accounting is a good field, most everybody needs them. Living at home isn't so bad, it's only temporary. I'm impressed at your resolve and discipline I'm sure you'll get there. I like this old saying; 'A cinch by the inch, hard by the yard.'

Be careful of burnout.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I remember ya. Thanks for stopping in, gil. You've come a long ways in one yr's time. The work will be worth it. You're doing good.

SS

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh my gosh I was just thinking about "the cab driver in Vegas" the other day and here you are - no longer a cabbie but getting on with life. Sounds great and good to see you again

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit