Antibiotics for a virus? And what's a sure-fire fix for nausea?

by somebodylovesme 30 Replies latest watchtower medical

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some doctors prescribe antibiotics because their patients expect it. Or else he suspects a bacterial infection of some kind. Next time, ask him why. If you have started, no harm in finishing it. The antibiotics should knock out any bacterial infections that may be taking advantage of your weakened state.

Because of my high blood pressure, there are few medications I can use. I end up falling back on natural remedies to carry me through. If you are this sick, GETS LOTS OF REST. Eat well. If you are nauseous, start with clear liquids and work your way up to solid foods. Eat/drink frequently, eat/sip small. For coughs, tea with honey. The warm vapours should soothe your irritated passageways as well.

1. Clear liquids - water, pedialite, gatorade, tea, beef or chicken bullion
    2. Simple carbohydrates, like dry toast, dry soda crackers
    3. chicken soup, milk, hot chocolate (for comfort)

If you hold down the above, you are ready to eat normally again.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Jgnat -

thanks! Nope, not pregnant, although it does sound like that, I guess! I finished a glass of water which is the first thing I have kept down in two days. I will finish out the antibiotics...

ugh I can't even think straight. Thanks for the advice and well wishes, all.

SLM

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

SLM, cinnamon both kills viruses AND stops nausea....you can either dump a few heaping teaspoons in your coffeemaker basket and pour a full pot of water through, and sip a few cups (sweetened, iced, whatever)....or you can make some cinnamon toast and nibble till it stops.

Frannie B

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Bronchitis is frequently bacterial, secondary to a viral infection. Then, yes, you do need antibiotics.

Interestingly, some people get nausea from strep infections.

The trick is usually to control the nausea, then restart the antibiotics, and take them with food.(unless told otherwise)

There are anti-nausea drugs sold in suppository form. They often do the trick.

please check your email.

• talesin
    talesin

Ginger tea & mj

(and watch out for the codeine - can cause severe constipation!!)

hope you're feeling better

tal

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

iced tea and pringles always works for my nausea. have no idea why, but it works.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

Antibiotics have never, and will never cure any bacterial deciese. Vaccination does. And it is indeed very dangerous to use antibiotics, when you don't have to. Multi resistant bacterias (MRSA) is a major problem, and it is growing. In a few years from now (if nothing is done), antibiotics as we know them today will have no effect.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Bronchitis (sp) is inflamation of the bronchia, usually due to excessive coughing. Often it is an after illness leftover from the flu. Your doctor knows this, but when most people see their MD's they expect a pill to cure them instead of "..you have xxxx and just go home and drink lots of fluids, take 2 asprin and if its not better in ## days call me."

Drink 1-2 gallons of gatorade (powerade, ets) or salty lemonade (1tsp salt in 1/2 gallon lemonaid) for a minimum of 24 hours. Then, if your stomach will keep it down, start with gentle gland foods - white rice with non-fat unflavored yogurt. Oatmeal w/out milk. etc.

These are info I got from my doc when I had similar problems. She would NOT give me an antibiotic because 1) it does no good for the virus and 2) kills all the good bacteria in your gut (use natural yogurt with acidophilis - Dannons is good) and 3) will help to strenthen your body's resistance to antibiotic use in the future.

Take care. I hope this illness passed ok.

Hugs

Bren

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

SLM,

Feel better...THAT'S AN ORDER!...works in the military.

• talesin
    talesin

Personal opinion here based on research, personal experience and questioning MDs and other medical health professionals.

Antibiotics represent a serious assault on the body's natural immune system, and should be used only when necessary. Especially the broad spectrum kind, such as erythromycin. If your doctor likes to push pills for every ailment, I suggest shopping around for a new GP.

This is the conclusion research has led me to, but of course, go on your own fact-finding mission! It's important, as we have a long life to look forward to, and don't want to damage our bodies permanently by taking unnecessary meds.

('resistant to drugs due to overmedication as a child' class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit