Antibiotics for a virus? And what's a sure-fire fix for nausea?

by somebodylovesme 30 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Soledad
    Soledad

I agree with talesin. find out from your doctor exactly why you were prescribed anti-biotics.

erythromycin makes me extremely ill. if you do need to take anti-biotics, see if the doc will give you another one (clindamycin and cipro are the only ones that dont make me sick)

try sucking on a lemon wedge for the nausea, or like someone suggested, salty lemonade. works for me

hope you feel bettter soon!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Assuming your doctor wasn't born yesterday (was he in diapers?) he probably gave you the antibiotics to help you avoid any secondary infections.

Some antibiotics can make you feel pretty bad -- I'm not allergic to any antibiotics, but I had a prescription for keflex, generic name "cephalexin." I have an iron-clad stomache, but thisstuff made me wonder if I had taken rat poison by mistake. I told the doc it wasn't agreeing with me, and he switched meds.

With all the vomiting you're doing, dehydration can pose a real threat. Get a few quarts of gatoraide or other sports beverage, and dilute it 50/50 with water and start drinking. Try to consume a pint every hour for 8 hours.

• talesin
    talesin

Re Gatorade. Good advice to hydrate, however,

Once again, on the advice of my MD, and checked with the pharmacist.

Buy electrolyte replacement at the pharmacy. Gatorade and other 'sport' drinks may contain chemicals you do not need. Think of colouring and flavours, and other harmful additives.

The electrolyte replacement comes in little packs similar to koolaid. You mix them with water. It's better for you, and cheaper than sport drinks.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I drink a billion gallons of Gatoraide every day, and it hasn't hurt me.

BRB - gotta go whizz

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, NN, I hesitated to sound argumentative, I didn't want to come off that way. I respect your opinions very highly. ;)

Just a way to avoid a few more chemicals, and my doctor did warn me off sports drinks.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hey talesin, I was just kidding with you; trying to maintain my curmudgeonly image... If you really do respect my opinions you probably haven't been paying attention!

Here's a recipe for a do-it-yourself "field expedient" electrolyte replacement formula. It probably won't taste real good - maybe it's OK to add the juice of half a lime or lemon to it...

One teaspoon of "Lite Salt"(by Morton, 1/2 iodized potassium chloride, 1/2 sodium chloride in a blue cylinder)

1/3 teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

10 teaspoons of table sugar (sucrose)

one quart of water.

That happens to be a life saving fluid replacement and partial electrolyte expedient replacement. At least it is expedient if you have had the foresight to purchase the above three items BEFORE an emergency happens (or have a friend who will run to the store for you), while it is readily available and very cheap.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Regular coke can work really fast for nausea, and help temporarily to hydrate you. Ultimately it dehydrates, so you should try water later.

Eat some crackers when you take the meds.

• sf
    sf

Hey you, sorry you are feeling like crap.

Saltine crackers always work for me when i'm not feeling so good in the stomach.

May I also suggest the website WEBMD. Go there and type in the keywords re: your ailment. I'm sure you will get 'hits' right away and a message board that has people going through the same thing and some remedies.

Hope you feel better soon.

sKally

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Wow, I hope she's feeling better by now !!

medicalAntibiotics for a virus? And what's a sure-fire fix for nausea?208-Feb-04 14:33 Feb 8, 2004somebodylovesme 11-Jul-04 21:50 Jul 12, 2004sf28
  • Lehaa
    Lehaa

Anitbiotics do nothing for a virus, and you can build up a resistance to them so save them for when you really need them.

Try a strong dose of echanacia, works wonders. Also peppermint oil helps with nausea. You should be able to get the both of them from a health food shop, or pharmacy.

Big warning though, don't use either of theese if you are pregnant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit