Favorite childhood TV shows

by Nosferatu 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Now, I'm not referring to Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, or any of the educational kids' shows. I'm talking about the ones for pure entertainment, cartoons and such. However, I can't really classify this as purely cartoons since some of you might have watched things like HR Pufnstuf.

I grew up in the 1980s, when the magic of Saturday Morning Cartoons existed. It's gone now, with many channels (like Teletoon) who show cartoons 24/7. I used to get up at 5:00am Saturday morning and wait for my favorite cartoons to come on. I'd usually catch the National Anthem which started the network programming for the day. Thirteen channels to choose from, and most of them had cartoons on them. I watched Shirttales, Biscuits, The Get-Along Gang, but there was one cartoon that stood out. I remember it as "The Puppy's Great Adventures", whereas some others know it more fondly as "Petey the Puppy". I would endure all the other cartoons in anticipation for this one show. It gave me the same feeling as waiting for Christmas Eve to open a new gift. It was exciting to see what the next episode was. We didn't own a VCR at the time (they were still quite expensive), so I was unable to record these episodes that I loved. Sadly, they cancelled the show in 1985 and I was devastated. I worked on keeping my memory of it alive throughout my childhood. Unfortunately, as time goes by, memories fade.

To my surprise, there's barely anything on the internet related to this cartoon that I loved so much. Also, I've never seen any video collections of it. Episodes ran from 1978 to 1984, quite a stretch for a cartoon.

alt

So, I have to ask, what was your favorite childhood TV series?

• franklin J
    franklin J

as a kid my favorite was "Astro Boy"( cartoon) and "Lost in Space" the tv series ( mid 60s)

In the 1980s, before my kids were born, I used to like to watch Pee Wee Hermans Playhouse, only through the opening credits of Cyndi Lauper singing. I never really watched the show; just liked to hear Cyndi sing. Her song for this show has been forever immortalized in the Steven Spielberg movie "The Goonies".

• blondie
    blondie

I missed a lot of cartoons growing up. But Roadrunner/Wile Coyote was a favorite and Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, Where Are You? I also am old enough to have seen the original Mouseketeer Club, Captain Kangaroo.

Blondie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Thunderbirds are go

• Sargon
    Sargon

Sunday afternoons in the 60's with Wild Kingdom then Walt Disney.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I loved a cartoon series called G-Force. It was a early anime import from Japan that played in the late seventies. One of the voices was Kase Kasem.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    That be-otch never once said my name

lmao!

Hey... wait a minute! Be-otch!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Romper Room was one of those TV shows where I was watching it one day, and I suddenly asked myself, "why the hell am I watching this?" It was a lousy TV show, but you just had to watch it. They must have put subliminal messages in it saying "watch me, watch me".

BTW, she never said my name either.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Bag puss

The clangers

The wacky races

Scooby Doo

Thundercats

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit