Beautiful New "Kingdom Hall"

by Sea Breeze 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheOutside
    OnTheOutside

My relatives' KH was recently replaced. The original was fairly sizable and had a basement. It had been put up for sale but there were no takers. Then the decision was made to demolish it and replace it with this architectural marvel. The interior is 'cozy' with a capacity of about 50.

• Chook
    Chook

The building is as exciting as a CO’s wife skirt. But the evil blue signs that advertise the cults clutches will haunt people who KNOW this sick churches origins.

• careful
    careful

OTO,

Thanks for the pic. Where is this one? To me it looks like a management office temporarily thrown up at a construction site—"this architectural marvel" indeed!

I wonder about demolishing the old one. Was it in such bad shape that no one would buy it so it had to be taken down? This one looks tiny, cheap, and bland.

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

This KH's outside looks a bit like the outside of a chicken factory.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re: OnTheOutside's pic...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... deep down, the WT leadership wants to pare the rank and file down to a more manageable level (say, a million or so, maybe even less), 'cause it'd be much easier for the bOrg to survive in its financially reduced state that way.

And using Kingdom Halls that look like a portable construction site offices would definitely qualify...

...'cause who else but the most devoted loyalists would want to keep going to them?

It's a subtle but arguably effective psychological tactic.

Anyone remember The Hunt for Red October? There's a cool little moment where Jack Ryan figures out that to get rid of the Russian sub crew without eliminating them, you simply make them want to leave (i.e. fake a reactor leak).

Similar principle...

...steadily make being an active Jehovah's Witness more and more intolerable for regular rank-and-filers (under the auspices of righteous religiosity, of course) so that all but the fanatics eventually feel they have no choice but to exit.

Allows the GB to keep their pride by accusing said exiters of apostasy, reinforces their legitimacy in the eyes of remaining loyalists (fulfilling the "the love of the greater number cooling off" prophecy), and helps them avoid looking like complete asshole nutjobs by implementing mass disfellowshippings.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VIDIOT:

You have a point there: maybe the real goal of the religion now is to have a very small ‘manageable’ membership and therefore they will make things so miserable that many will leave.

Let it happen! I can imagine though hearing stories from my two loyalist friends about trekking long distances (that used to be for conventions) in order just to attend regular meetings. But, this may end up being the religion’s real undoing because these diehards and loyalists are not young.

Once they’re gone, that’s it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    LongHairGal - "You have a point there: maybe the real goal of the religion now is to have a very small ‘manageable’ membership and therefore they will make things so miserable that many will leave..."

The "real goal" of the bOrg has always been - ultimately - its own survival, and I suspect that "managing the decline" (something I have been coincidentally calling it for sometime, actually) is what they are thinking is a key to said survival.

LongHairGal - "...Let it happen..."

By all means, let them do the heavy lifting. I came to suspect a long time ago that - on some level - they really don't want fakers, faders, and fence-sitters around anymore, anyway.

We're too much of a liability... we don't really believe, obey, or donate, and more and more of us "know too much", after all.

Makes it easier for us to GTFO, and lets 'em save face (theoretically) with the remainder.

LongHairGal - "But, this may end up being the religion’s real undoing because these diehards and loyalists are not young... Once they’re gone, that’s it."

Aye, there's the rub... the gambit's only actual guarantee of success is contingent upon the (assumed) sustainability of the new leaner, meaner "business model".

Of course, if said model turns out not to be sustainable, the GB can always "rapture" themselves off to the Cayman Islands where the bOrg's funds are already stashed.

Which I can't help but think would - ultimately - accomplish the same fucking thing, actually. :smirk:

• JeffT
    JeffT

I think you may be on to something here. However, I think the long term goal may be to completely rebuild the religion once they've eliminated the people most likely to complain. It would give them a way of dodging lawsuits over a change in blood doctrine, and reset the clock (or get rid of it) regarding the approach of Armageddon.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VIDIOT & JEFF T:

Maybe they ARE waiting for the people who ‘know too much’ to pass away so they can reinvent themselves. Time will solve their problem..Maybe they will end up going the way of many sects in the US, maybe becoming a religion like the Shakers. History will repeat itself. Never mind all the suckers who lived and died.

But, if they ever did just run away in a panic to some paradise, can you imagine the horror of the few ‘faithful/gullible’ left behind? I’m sorry for them and glad I’m not one of them. The religion would never live that down - not that they would care. Again, time will solve their problem.

I know many of our thoughts are speculation, but none of these outcomes would surprise me if they actually happened!

• sparky1
    sparky1

NOAH'S ARK for the 21st century!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit