A lurker no more! I have a question about exit counseling for ex-JWs

by True North 26 Replies latest jw friends

• True North
    True North

I've been lurking on this board for a couple of months now, taking it all in. I've really appreciated and enjoyed reading your postings and it's all been very helpful. I have now a question I'd like to ask. I was a JW for several years but have been out for twenty years now. However, my wife stayed in and I decided to support her in raising our children as Witnesses in the interests of family harmony. As it turns out, that was a huge mistake but also another topic.

What I'm interested in knowing now is if anyone has any first-hand or even second-hand experience with "exit counseling". The reason I ask is that two of my children -- both in their early twenties -- have without any encouragement from me decided that they no longer wish to be JWs and are not attending meetings. A third child -- who is sixteen -- has on her own decided that JWs are probably a cult and is only continuing to attend meetings so that she is not cut off from her friends.

The reason I'm asking about exit counseling is that I've come to appreciate that although my children may intellectually recognize that JW-dom is a false religion, they are still going to be burdened with a lot of "baggage" acquired from their lifelong conditioning: fear of dying at Armageddon, guilt, difficulties with normal social interactions with non-JWs, distrust of "the world", feeling lost and without purpose or direction, etc.

Could some sort of exit counseling be helpful to them? I've gathered that Randall Watters of freeminds.org has had some involvement with this sort of thing and I've thought of contacting him. If anyone has any thoughts or experiences to share about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

The best thing I can say is hang around people who are balanced in most things in life so they know its OK to be normal and that you won't die for being happy.

• Purple
    Purple

Welcome and its great that you have come out of hiding. I really don't have any experience about exit counselling but do with counselling in general. In my offline life I am a qualified social worker in Australia (but dont tell everyone its a secret!) With counselling in general it usually is of more benefit if the person themselves seeks the help. They have to want it to help. Basically counselling does not give you the answers but helps an individual explore the answers that they already have in their possesion but just don't realise it. Its an independent, non-judgemental ear for the person to bounce their thoughts, ideas and explore their own answers.

I think time is going to help heal your children and yourself. They sound old enough to be able to seek help for themselves. Is this something they have asked you to help with or is this something you feel you need to do for them? That's a rehtorical (sp?) question for you to answer to yourself. If you feel you need to do this for them but they have not requested it, it might not be overly helpful. They sound like adults so let them make thier own minds up and you be guided by their decision. If they ask for help, then seek it. Of course its up to you!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Wow, True North, and *Welcome* by the way to the forum.

Whew...lots to consider here.

With regards to Freemind's; Randy's site: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Now with regards to your two eldest, are they computer/internet savvy? The reason being, maybe some of their issues or concerns, can be examined and read at many of the ex-JW websites on-line. Then again, just even bringing up the issue of the 'internet' could be a hot potato.

How receptive are they towards things 'about' the JWs that are not necessarily flattering?

I wish you well with your endeavours to help your children see things, differently. I'm sure it's not going to be easy with a believing spouse under the same roof.

Exit counselling, or counselling in general, would be most beneficial. It has helped me, and it has helped countless thousands of others, post-JW.

Would you consider accompanying them? Just a thought.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi True North,

Welcome to the board. I wish I could help. I did the same thing, helped my wife to bring up the kids in it while I was out. At least you are one step ahead and your kids have realised that there is something wrong with the Borg.

I will watch this thread with interest as it may be helpful to me and my family if I am ever so lucky to have some of them want out.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Depending on how comfortable they are, you all could try a group therapy setting. It might be cheaper than getting everybody set up with a one-on-one, and as a family you could help each other grow into new things. If that is not an option, just getting knowledge and information about the "troof" can be healing.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hi, and welcome!

Call Marilyn at 1-800-WHY-1914. She's a counselor, and an XJW. If you get the recording, just leave a message, and she'll call you back.

cb

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Welcome to the board!!! When I left, almost two years ago, I had panic and anxiety attacks about the idea that I was condemning my children to death by leaving. I went into therapy with a psychologist who had counseled ex-JW's before, so she was somewhat familiar with the problems we encounter when leaving such a cult/high-control group. It really, REALLY helped to see a therapist. She listened, and she would give me at least one thing each week to think about. Gradually I felt better and, as she told me I would, FREE. Very odd feeling, and I like it!

Best wishes to your children, and please tell them that life without guilt is wonderful!

Nina

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Hi True North. Welcome to the board.

As an outsider (never been JW), I have observed the huge emotional toll leaving the JW can take. Especially to those who leave family behind. I have often read posters talk about residual fears of Armagedon and death. You said it all. It seems to me, that most need some kind of exit therapy, from researching on the internet and forums like this one, or professional help. You don't want them to become the "walking wounded".

As far as therapists go, you would need one who knows about JW/cult issues. I would ask Lady Lee, a respected poster on this board. I believe she is away for a week or so, but you could send her a PM. I have also found that having other non-JW read Diane Wilson's book "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness" is very enlighening. Everything that I hear on this board, with regard to freeing family, involves patience. Sounds like you have that. Amazing has written on the freeminds site on how he got his family out.

I have a 16 year old as well, and I know how important friends are to kids that age. Is there any way to start getting her involved in outside activities so she has social contacts who aren't JW? It will make the transition easier. Eventually those JW friends are going to dump her as bad association, and it is going to hurt her like anything.

If you have lurked for a while, you may already have seen this thread. It is Jgnat's thread for newbies, and has lots of resources.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/58215/863175/post.ashx#863175

I hope that all goes well.

• Special K
    Special K

Welcome True North..

I posted this to someone before.. I really, really recommend getting this book.

My suggestion:

Pick up Steven Hassan's latest book "Releasing the Bonds Empowering People to think for Themselves".

On the back of the book and I quote:

" The phenomemon of destructive mind control indoctrination can turn an intelligent, educated person with a strong family background into a stranger.

" In Releasing the Bonds, leading cult expert Steven Hassan describes a groundbreaking new approach....

"In addition to those seeking to rescue a loved one from a cult, it will help those who want to:

1. Recognize the signs of a destructive relationship or group

2. Protect themselves and others from manipulation and abuse

3. Undo the residual effects of past mind control experiences

4. Refute common fallacies about mind control and cults

5. Become active in opposing destructive mind control cults.

I really, really think it's an excellent book. It just doesn't narrow in on Jehovah's Witnesses but talks about other cultish type groups and because of that it leaves an open mindedness for anyone reading it. .. But the book does talk about Jehovah's Witnesses.

sincerely

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit