Jehovah's Limp Witnesses Pointed Me to JW.org When I Was Willing to Talk

by steve2 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

Several months ago I approached a nice young couple who were standing by a JW literature stand in my local community. I did not know them, they did not know me.

They were pleasant and polite but incredibly stilted when it came to answering my "innocent" questions about their beliefs.

This was the occasion of JWs featuring the article headlined "Is Religion Dying?".

I expressed interest in the topic which brought even wider smiles from the couple. I observed to them that, unlike the cover photo showing very few people attending a church sermon, churches in our community were very well attended.

The JW male immediately conceded my point. I then was astonished about the lameness of his subsequent comments. He said something like, "and this magazine brings you uptodate information on several important topics".

After conceding religion in our community was not dying!

And that was it.

He exhibited a very limited capacity to engage in a meaningful exchange. His wife fixed her smiling eyes into the middle distance. Just awkward smiles and offering me the latest magazine (which I declined).

The JW male then attempted to hand me a tract that appeared to be designed to direct me to JW.org. I declined saying "Why would you refer me to your website when I'm standing right in front of you talking?"

He and his wife both nervously laughed and, quite tellingly, did not have much else to say.

I walked away and reflected upon the superficiality of the exchange: I was most likely the sole individual that day - and probably the whole week - who approached them and expressed interest in their featured topic. However, they could not add anything to what that embarrassingly glib article was featuring.

And they did what JWs had done a year or so earlier in the door-to-door campaign: Used contact with people as a means of promoting JW.org.

What a wasted opportunity that, as JWs have less and less firsthand active contact with people, when they do have contact, rather than engaging meaningfully in an exchange, they refer people to JW.org. These are people who truly have nothing they themselves feel impelled to share...beyond a website.

The calibre of JW's "preaching" continues to dribble to new lows.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

"What? Someone wanted to actually TALK to us??"

Cue "head-explode" moment.....

• Divergent
    Divergent

Although they have a phony message based on misinterpretation and lies, JW's in times past were at least able to make their message sound more convincing. They would not hesitate to preach whenever possible, flipping through their bibles and throwing scripture after scripture at their listeners, leaving many of them impressed. They were so bold, confident, self-assured, and skilled that many of their listeners either fell for it or conceded that they had good points

HOWEVER, the same CANNOT be said of present-day JW's. They are so pathetic and inept at giving a witness and the results are obvious from the yearly statistics!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The JW male then attempted to hand me a tract that appeared to be designed to direct me to JW.org. I declined saying "Why would you refer me to your website when I'm standing right in front of you talking?

Ha !....I love this ...so true !!

• schnell
    schnell

Oh, I don't know. There's a reason we had the Theocratic Ministry School in the first place, and why testimony cards were done away with. As intellectually inbred and disadvantaged as these guys are, at least they could find Deuteronomy if a judge asked them to in court.

However, the tracts are just testimony cards. If your testimony and ministry can be summed up in a QR code, it probably isn't as profound as the staunchest believers might think it is.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

, "and this magazine brings you uptodate information on several important topics

Could have asked him what those topics are. Chances are he wouldn't know... probably hasn't read the rag himself.

• Room 215
    Room 215

"The tracts are just testimony cards." --- Right, Schnell; and the Ipads are a modern equivalent of Rutherford's phonographs, the literature carts are JW's contemporary sandwich boards/placards... Talk about regression!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

What more can we expect? These midweek meetings (when I have not been able to escape going) show presentations that only use tracts, and encourage the use of their videos in the Ministry. At least they didn't try and show you one of them!... This was the bumper campaign in August 2014 :

▪ Literature offer for August: Special campaign distribution of the tract toadvertise the JW.Org Web site.
  • nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Keep in mind these are experienced pioneer's manning the cart. Not newbies, how pathetic!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, steve:

When we were new at giving talks and going out in service, we were applauded for our little efforts, but encouraged -- and expected -- to improve. Giving talks from notes, not a MS, and offering a multi-scriptural "back call" (in our early days) were simply part of the plan.

Unless, of course, you were an old brother or sister from another country who could only muster, "You take magazine, it good!"

Best wishes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit