When did district conventions become regional conventions and why?

by slimboyfat 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I guess they've always dabbled in "rebranding"... :smirk:
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I'm thinking it's now ''regional convention'' because it covers a larger area, since 2013 that's what some have said.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

For purposes of assemblies, the term District Assembly really has no meaning anymore, at least in many countries. It is no longer a District attending but a group of circuits or pieces thereof that will fill (or attempt to fill) the venue.

I remember when I was a kid that I could tell you exactly what States were included in our District. Now, if you ask most people what the composition of the District is (including me), they will give you a totally blank stare.

Rub a Dub

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

"Shibboleth" - a word or pronunciation that distinguishes people of one group or class from those of another.

Other definitions extend it to patterns of dress or behavior.

Great JW appropriate new vocabulary word!

• millie210
    millie210

Some of us are saying similar things in various ways.

I think they are having a hard time pumping up the "look" of a brimming full crowd.

Thus throwwing the net wider?

That is what is behind the "international delegates" too I suspect.

All the people dressing up in costumes, all the welcoming committees and skits inside KHs - that was some pretty amazing stuff last summer.

Watching them try to downplay nationalism and up play 'BROTHERHOOD while everyone dressed in native costumes = some even like cowboys (Texas) and that was the attendants, was worth seeing!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The "society" did away with DO's so they couldn't very well keep the term "District" conventions could they?

I would go with this explanation more than anything.

The new light propagation or new created bullshit to cover past bullshit as it were still exists though.

• blondie
    blondie
    Has it been made official now, no more DOs?
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

SBF: Gary and Heather Bottings' ... noted the function of the habit of the Watchtower organisation of changing organisational terminology periodically. ... The Bottings argued that such changes served the function of weeding out inactive members by periodically rendering their terminology obsolete.

That's one possibility, but I think there is another more practical and far-reaching reason: Since nothing REAL is happening in fulfillment of any JW "prophecies" or "theology," they need to manufacture changes periodically to give/maintain the illusion of being progressive (you remember all that "Jehovah's Chariot is on the move" bullshit).

You may appreciate this thread I started a while back which discusses this phenomenon:

A Tug on the Leash (The Authority Which the GB Wields Over the R&F)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Don't forget the whole "district" and "circuit" nonsense came to us from ol' "Judge" Rutherford when he instituted the legalistic approach to "worship" into the IBS/JW "theology."

(Wow, what a lot of "scare quotes" I had to use there!)

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I haven't heard the term ''District Convention'' in almost 4 years now. It must be now officially ''Regional Convention''. Pretty much everywhere they coin the term ''Regional Convention''.

When you mention the term ''District Convention'' these days, people look at you kind of funny, then just correct you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit