Are Jehovah Witness willing to end studies?

by Maria Nieves 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-study-october-2020/How-to-Conduct-a-Bible-Study-That-Leads-to-Baptism-Part-Two/

I recently came across the above Watchtower Article which spoke about conducting Bible studies which lead to baptism. It progressed to say that if the Bible Study Instructor does not see growth within the student or the desire to work towards baptism, then the studies should end.

I am wondering the likelihood of a Jehovah Witness willing to end a Bible study? After all, doesn’t it count towards field service and how likely are they to obtain another Bible study student?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yes. They have in fact been "encouraged" to end Bible studies within a "reasonable" time if the "student" doesn't progress or show interest.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Depends on the weather. If it's nice out you might not want to spend an hour indoors. However rain or snow and cold, good to have a study or two that you can use to stay out of the elements. And if it is snowing don't forget to leave a WT at the nearest laundromat to start your time. That way you don't waste an entire hour diving the three miles to your student's house.

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

My previous Bible study conductor was doing Bible Study with an elderly woman for many years. She died without having been baptized.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

But most JW's (esp pioneers) aren't apt to want to lose those "easy" hours they count with a BS. As long as the BS is not your own child, there is no limit to the hours you can log with these people. "Studies" that go on for 2 hours. Phone call RV's to "encourage". Picking them up for a meeting (when they used to exist), etc.

When you end that study, you have to go back to knocking on doors driving around in the territory.

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

@DesirousOfChange,

Two hours? When I was a study, my Bible study conductor progressed to having four hours of Bible study with me once per week. It was a lot and became overwhelming for me. At times, I would zone out. Not only was I engaging in Bible studies, I was also attending the weekend and weekday meetings consistently. Eventually, I started reaching the conclusion that those four hours of study were more for her than they were for me.

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

The most important question is, is the Bible students willing to become a JWs? If yes, don't end. If no, END.

All the studies from chapter 1 to whatever used as Bible study aid is of no use if the Bible students don't want to become a JW.

• hoser
    hoser
    They are out of the sales pipeline. Time to look for new prospects
  • GregW
    GregW

I am wondering the likelihood of a Jehovah Witness willing to end a Bible study?

It would vary from one person and another, eventually the posed question to the study if they are now willing to get baptized or not, or if the studied person makes excuses to not continue.

Bible studies do eventually stop of course, based upon the actions of the individual being study to and the JWS who is conducting the study.

For a JWS who is successful in bringing another person into the WTS its a big prideful feather in their cap so to speak, its also appreciative hours that they can log in every month.

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

@Longlivetherenegades,

I am no longer a study. However, when Bible study was first offered to me, what I was told was that I could study without pressure. It wasn’t up until I progressed in my study that I came to realize that the goal was for me to become baptized. By the time I reached that realization, I was already having doubts about the religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit