Are Jehovah Witness willing to end studies?

by Maria Nieves 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

@Longlivetherenegades,

What Jehovah Witnesses say amongst themselves and what they say to their Bible Study Students when beginning Bible Study is very contradictory. I am sure that if Jehovah Witnesses were to tell their future Bible Study Students that before they begin Bible Study, the goal is for them to be baptized, many future students would not agree to the study.

@Biahi, it amazes me that someone would be shunned for not continuing with Bible Study. After all, people have a right to not continue with the study. Furthermore, Bible Study Students are not Jehovah Witnesses so what is the logic in shunning them for not continuing with the study?

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

@_Maria Nieves

What is unfolding in the ORG as a whole is the ORG had become TWO FACED. A different face for those outside the ORG. Another face for those inside the ORG.

Had those citations in the previous post made by their members, it will come under a case where the GB sees such members as SABOTAGING the ORGANIZATION and must be DISFELLOWSHIPPED.

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

@Longlivetherenegades,

It’s interesting because Jehovah Witnesses speak of themselves as being so righteous. They state that lying is a sin and that a white lie is still a lie. Isn’t it a white lie to tell a future Bible Study Student that they can engage in Bible Study without being pressured to become baptized?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

even i can remember the 6 months time limit--that was in the late 60's. it was easy to find lonely old people to spend an hour with--provided their room was warm on a cold winters afternoon.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MARIA NIEVES:

I believe they would be willing to end studies if someone doesn’t ‘progress’ in a certain amount of time.

They are lucky they can hang onto the JWs they already have! They will not want to risk having these JWs around a so-called worldly study that possibly has more education than they do, thinks too much and asks questions they cannot answer!

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

@stan livedeath,

I think that many Jehovah Witnesses know that the elderly Bible Study Student who is studying with them will never become baptized.

• Maria Nieves
    Maria Nieves

@Longhairgal,

My previous Bible Study Conductor began a Bible Study with an elderly woman whose adult daughter was battling cancer. I believe that the lady found comfort in having someone who she could speak with regarding her grief. Her daughter soon passed after the Bible Study began and the lady continued engaged in Bible Study for many years until she herself passed. The lady never got baptized and never visited a Kingdom Hall. I believe that she never had any intention of becoming baptized.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Oh, yes, I can remember when they launched the six-month BS program.

It must've been early 1969 or late 1968 that "the six-month home bible-study program" was mandated. (The library CD only goes back to 1970 so we have to use a bit of extrapolation)

*** Kingdom Ministry 3/70 p. 4 pars. 4-5 Presenting the Good News—Become ‘Intensely Occupied with the Word’ ***

"A little over a year ago we were introduced to the six-month home Bible-study program. We immediately grasped that this would be an additional effective method to help get the work done in the short time remaining.

5 Now reports from the field show that Bible studies are being discontinued as publishers realize that the student is not making progress. This is entirely proper. There is no reason to spend our time with those who obviously are not really interested in doing something about the truths they are learning."

Remember, that's more than 50 years ago because of "the short time remaining".

• Steel
    Steel

Just show any actual knowledge of the bible and they will usually run for the hills.

Usually just explain to them that the tetragrammaton is just as much applied to jesus as god in the new testament and show them in the old testament the references new testament writers are quoting . A show them that jesus is the god revealing himself to humanity in both the new and old testament yet both seem to be jehovah, Lord etc

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Fat Freak has similar memories to mine. The Truth Book was supposed to be a chapter a week, six month study and if not at meetings by then.....cut them loose. In the Western world however most publishers never did that.

There was one Circuit Overseers wife who was notorious for ending the studies she was invited on, nobody wanted to take her

Since studies have always been like gold dust , why would you stop a good thing. Far better to be indoors chatting on the sofa with a cup of tea than out on the cold doorsteps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit