New light in this weeks WT?

by Indian Larry 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

People...they just make it up as they go along...they can say anything they want to mould the bible around their history...and change the meaning of their history if they want.

It's a cult...it needs to survive hence it will always change things to make themselves look better.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Last week's WT Study, Page 25, par 15:-

"Thus far we have seen that true Christians came into Babylonian captivity soon after the death of the last of the apostles."

George

• dothemath
    dothemath

They might have to make additional changes to the revelation book after this. As I recall, some of the prophecies from there tied into 1918, etc.

I think the scripture mentioning "the two witnesses, who were killed, and then miraculously come back to life" (not an exact quote) was supposed to have fit into 1914-1919.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    I think the scripture mentioning "the two witnesses, who were killed, and then miraculously come back to life" (not an exact quote) was supposed to have fit into 1914-1919.

By now I wouldn't even be surprised if they say JW didn't preach = 2 dead witnesses fulfilled and at the same time claim they did preach = not in Babylonian captivity.

As long as the two contradicting statements are not in the same paragraph the dubs won't notice anyway...

:-D

• freddo
    freddo

I just hope it is all a sign they are polishing the brass and rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

OK, here goes....

What did they actually believe before? (my emphasis)

Watchtower 1 March 2001, page 15, paragraph 17
    In 1918 they went into spiritual captivity when leading officers of the Watch Tower Society were imprisoned. The organized preaching work virtually ceased. Then, in 1919, Jehovah restored them and reinvigorated them with his spirit, whereupon they set out to fulfill the commission to preach the good news in all the inhabited earth.

Isaiah Book Vol 2 (2001) page 181, paragraph 4
    During the first world war, however, her representatives on earth — anointed Christians — unwittingly broke Jehovah’s law because they did not properly understand true Christian neutrality. Losing divine favor, they came into spiritual captivity to “Babylon the Great,” the world empire of false religion. (Revelation 17:5) Their condition of being in slavery climaxed in June 1918 when eight staff members of the Watch Tower Society were imprisoned on false charges, including conspiracy. At that point the organized preaching of the good news virtually stopped. In 1919, however, a clarion call to spiritual wakefulness was sounded forth. Anointed Christians began to separate themselves more completely from the moral and spiritual uncleanness of Babylon the Great. They rose from the dust of captivity, and “Jerusalem above” came to have the splendor of a “holy city” where spiritual uncleanness is not allowed.

Isaiah Book Vol 2 (2001), page 241, paragraph 16
    The climax came in 1918 when the public preaching work virtually stopped and responsible officers of the Watch Tower Society were imprisoned on false charges of sedition. In this way, Jehovah’s modern-day servants went into a spiritual captivity, reminiscent of the physical captivity of the ancient Jews. Great reproach hung over them.

Note capacity is tied to the infamous imprisonment of those bethel members from June 1918 to 1919 - and it was: "At that point the organized preaching of the good news virtually stopped." (what does the Study Watchtower for Sunday 29 Jan - paragaph 7 - state about the preaching work during that time, June 1918 to 1919 - no not during 1914, or 1916, that wasn't the time of spiritual capacity)

What do they believe now?

Study Watchtower March 2016, pages 29 to 31
    Questions From Readers: When were God’s people held captive by Babylon the Great?
    That spiritual captivity lasted from the second century C.E. to 1919.

NOTE - in the QFR answer below, that infamous imprisonment of those bethel members has been completely dropped from the explaination and isn't mentioned at all... hmmmm....

Link to scans

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Gobble-dee-gook, YADDA YADDA

It sounds like, "We had a negative outlook but later things were more positive than we realized."

That sets them up for consolidating congregations, selling off properties, appearing to be on the decline, but then saying that things will clear up later to show that they were really doing fine.

• Sorry
    Sorry

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. They're only using this "Babylonian captivity" thing as a scare tactic to get more JW's in field circus.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

My take on this weeks WT study article for what its worth, is that it was written to once again reinforce the new idea that the truth didn't really become the the truth until that 1918-1919 period as an attempt to distance themselves from Russel and his teachings ... and to continue establishing the legitimacy the establishment Governing Body arrangement. Interestingly, 'the death of the two witnesses' of Revelation 11 and the 'valley of dry bones' of Ezekiel 37, were not even referenced this time (as they would have been in the past), leading me to my conclusion that the time before 1918 didn't really count as much.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Baloney JW mythology!

The very concept of “captivity to Babylonish religion” is cult talk. It depends on further modern myths such as the existence of such a thing as “True religion” which idea is not based on any reality just a religious imagination. None of this sort of talk goes beyond the closed loop of cultism, it makes no sense to outsiders but to know what these terms mean is to JWs, a badge of membership.

However...................... if the idea that there was such a thing as true religion free from any influence of worldly or “Babylonish” beliefs and practices, then JWs would still not qualify in 1919 or ever.

The fundamental teachings of the Bible are fully based on astrological stories and the mnemonics for transmitting them down through the generations in pre-literate times.

Quintessentially it centres on the Sun god, his own male offspring born of a virgin at the third day of midwinter, sacrificed at the spring equinox and returned to his heavenly father in shining glory. At its root it is nothing more or less than the annual story of the Sun dressed up in mythical narrative.

It is impossible to use the Bible as the basis for religious belief without reference to these folk tales whether from Babylon or elsewhere. There is very little material left in the scriptures if you peel away the pagan input.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit