UN v Religion - The're at it again !!!

by Amazing 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

UN Proposal: I picked up a comment on another site about a supposed resolution that was to be introduced to the UN on January 27th, 2004 that would effectively ban religion. If this is true, then the JW leaders (Governing Buzzards) and their followers will have a Prophetic Field Day!!!

Here is the link to the claim: http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2004/1/emw100794.htm

Soooo, naturally, I immediately researched the UN site for anyting on any "Proposed Resolutions" on religion or anything on their upcoming Agenda ... and so far found nothing in 2004 or earlier that would lead me to believe the story is accurate.

The UN link on religion: http://www.un.org/cyberschoolbus/humanrights/declaration/18.asp

If you go to the Search feature of the UN site, you can type in "Religion" and find all kinds of articles, but mostly they deal with general issues on terrorism, and the freedom of thought and conscience that is a basic human right ... I could find nothing yet on banning religion.

Here is the UN Homepage: http://www.un.org/english/index.shtml

Jim W.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Amazing,

I think this is already being covered: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/65716/1.ashx

Ian

• simwitness
    simwitness

ok, I don't think it is the "UN" vs religion, but a group that is trying to get a resolution into the UN for the UN to pass... very different...

See this site:

http://www.formulism.org/news.html

They are attempting to get the UN to pass a resolution banning religion... IMHO, very different than the UN moving on it's own in this regaurd...

• sf
    sf

'Cool link'; thx..[portion pertaining]:

UN silent on draft proposal to ban religion - 28th Jan 04
    The United Nations remained silent today following yesterday's submission by formulism.org of a draft resolution which would effectively ban religion. Founder of formulism.org, Antony Last, says he is not disappointed by the lack of an offical response. "I would be very surprised if world leaders and their Bilderberg masters hadn't already produced a plan similar to the one we submitted yesterday," he said. "Unfortunately, I suspect it will require an act of religious terrorism that kills millions before they'd consider using it. I'm not disappointed by the lack of an offical response. It's an extremely sensitive issue. I am sure we have their attention, however, and that the plan will be read and considered at the highest levels."

sKally

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

yes one group with a rational non theistic point of view trying to ban all religion for the good of all mankind

which of course will not work in this world we currently live in because most humans are believers in some deity and generally feel that their religion is the TRUTH and all others are enemies that need to be converted or destroyed or both.

it reminds me of the atheists who seek to ban God

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    it reminds me of the atheists who seek to ban God

But they wouldn't see themselves as fanatics trying to impose their beliefs on others, now, would they?!

• Amazing
    Amazing

HI Zen Nudist,

You noted:

" ...and generally feel that their religion is the TRUTH and all others are enemies that need to be converted or destroyed or both."

JWs might believe that ... but among most Christian and Jewish faiths, they believe in tolerance and accept one another equally. For example Conservative Baptists accept Pentecostals, and Pentecostals accept Conservative Baptists as 'Brothers in Christ' ... and they do not see their unique religious opinions as the "Truth" ... but as their opinions ... this "We vs Them" mentality is not as common and is primarily confined to weird little groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Jim W.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Even islam is traditionally tolerant of minority religions, providing that they don't insanely proselytize like the dubs do - preying on the weak and ignorant...

Fanatics like bin Laden are the exception, and considering that there are over a billion muslims, the very rare exception. It would be interesting if the Pope suddenly issued another "holy war" call to all christians, I wonder how many discontented, out of work hilllbillies would suddenly become Catholic crusaders to the Holy Land? Dunno, a crusade certainly sounds more interesting than hanging around working at the bucks for the rest of my life...

"Interesting" in terms of sociological research - for comparison purposes. In real world terms it would be bloody mass murder.

CZAR

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    "Unfortunately, I suspect it will require an act of religious terrorism that kills millions before they'd consider using it."

either that or world war 3.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

In my experience, many Christian denominations will accept or be tolerant of other religions, but if you are nontheistic, you are on the hell list. I don't consider that tolerant. I've been told I was going to hell because I don't profess a religion... told that by one of those warm fuzzy non-denominational Christians who supposedly has compassion and tolerance for everyone. Nope, I don't think JWs are unique at all in their "Convert or be destroyed" idea... Otherwise, why would most if not all deistic religions proselytize?

Just my two cents.
    SLM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit