Did you leave the JW RECENTLY? Really? Recently? WTF were you thinking?

by The Real Edward Gentry 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

I think he's trying to get everyone riled up by throwing out a foolish question such as the last one. Good chance he's not even an ex-jw.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

What dubsaid x2

• The Real Edward Gentry
    The Real Edward Gentry

I am not trying to rile anyone up. Its a legit question. Perhaps phrased too harshly. I was indeed a JW. I left at age 18. Although mentally I was gone before that.

I remember looking at "apostate" books at the book store in the mall. Pre-internet. I remember being about 16 or so and I had spent a good portion of the day in that bookstore. I already had doubts obviously but I remember vividly walking around the rest of that day in a sort of weird daze. Thinking, "wow, i'm not crazy. These people ARE wrong". In a way I felt vindicated but I also knew I had to go along to get along, at least for the next few years.

I understand the pressures and the guilt feeling, but I don't understand the willpower to avoid researching one of your core beliefs when its right there in the privacy of your own home with a few keystrokes.

People are really strange.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

To Phizzy

Ditto and amen brother!

just saying!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sure I examined the 1995 changes ........................from WT Publications.

Yeah, yeah, I know, how could I have been so f*cking stupid? As though I need YOU to remind me?

Satan will enter your mind and lead you astray. Pft.~ MoreConfused

I guess that's what happened to me. Thank you, Satan. What took you so f*cking long?

• jp1692
    jp1692

Just to be clear, the overlapping generation nonsense was introduced in 2010:

"He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation." Watchtower 2010 April 15 p.10
  • floridaborn
    floridaborn

Cause I wanted a panda!!

• Londo111
    Londo111

It's called indoctrination and undue influence/thought reform/mind control.

I well remember the fear of the apostate boogeyman with somewhat mystical powers to cause people to leave "the truth" with just a few magic sentences. They were predators who craftily lured people "lies, half-truths, and misrepresentations". They were "angry and bitter".

And whenever there was a red flag, there were the thought-terminating cliches. "Wait on Jehovah. Where else will we go? The light gets brighter..."

Hindsight is 20/20.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

People were indoctrinated to different levels. I love it when someone can't understand why everyone else isn't exactly like them, but believes that other people are weird, it can't be them even if theirs was the non-conforming story. Ummm, maybe because we're different. We grew up in different families with different pressures and different personalities. I was the oldest kid, both parents were rabid by the books dubs, and I was a natural people pleaser looking for love from two narcissists. That transferred over to the authoritarian and narcissistic Watchtower society that kept me locked down with fear of losing any hope for the future, the only one I had ever known, along with everyone I had ever known, maybe even my wife.

Good for you for getting out sooner. I'd be interested to know what your situation was growing up in it. The non "twat waffle" way of going about asking legitimate questions is to go in with humble curiosity rather than arrogant criticism, if you really want to know instead of trying to set yourself up on high.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Indeed people are strange. They join internet forums and troll people. People let themselves be trolled... its all very strange

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit