The moon as a possible energy source?

by Big Tex 60 Replies latest social current

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

and what type of people do you think will get off this planet to find, exploit and pillage another one?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Not just he3, but also a limitless supply of swiss cheese. I say, cut up the moon in transportable chunks and bring it all home Haha. What good is up there anyway? It only messes w the sea level, makes the earth wobble, and messes w peoples' moods.

Seriously though, this sounds wonderful; we won't need to depend on stinky arabs for oil anymore, instead we'll be depending on undependable rockets to bring the stuff from 225,745 miles away. I'm just saying that there will be problems cropping up, and technology will need to drastically ramped up. The supply chain would be fragile for a long time.

SS

• Gerard
    Gerard

The moon could be a good departing station for space crafts since it has about 1/6 Earth's gravity force. I believe the idea to produce helium on the Moon is to economize fuel consumption at launch and burn it in deep space for optimum acceleration.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Dearest Gitsa/@*&? I'm going to come off as a "mindless" butthole.............but, in for a penny, in for a pound.............WTF is luddism? Please, oh, lordly one, edumacate this humble "mindless" one................

(and yes, this is meant totally as in your face and sarcastic as you think it does)

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    These are critical times, easy to deal with. I work for an aerospace company. I love it. :-)

ah, yes, and your personal "long term employment" interest has nothing to do with your atavistic attitude.............................

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

tree hugger: here you go

Lud·dite
    (click to hear the word) (l
    n.

1. Any of a group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in the belief that such machinery would diminish employment.
    2. One who opposes technical or technological change.

[After Ned Ludd , an English laborer who was supposed to have destroyed weaving machinery around 1779.]

In this case I am referring to definition number two.

ah, yes, and your personal "long term employment" interest has nothing to do with your atavistic attitude

No, the company I work for is diverse, and while I am working on a federal contact, I am not working on a NASA contract. Bush can send Jacksonville to the moon and it still would not affect my employment. As an employee of an aerospace firm, I am glad to see that Americans are getting an interest in science and technology, moss wearing tree hugging luddites excepted, of course.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    a single space shuttle load or roughly 30 tons could meet all U.S. electric power needs for a year, Kulcinski said by e-mail.

Bush's schedule for a U.S. return to the moon

I wonder if this isn't a bit overblown, a carrot dangled before the people to get support for the moon/mars effort. Notice how a close connection is made in the arrangement of these two thoughts in the above quote.

SS who supports moon/mars travel

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Dadgummit.

All I wanted was to talk about something positive. I read an article about something I found really interesting and maybe just a little hopeful about the future.

I'm not liberal.

I'm not conservative.

But good grief why do we have to get into politics? Yes the article mentions war in space, and yes that is a possibility. Actually considering humanity's past, it's probably more of a certainty. But still, I chose to read this article and find something interesting and kind of intriguing. Just once is it possible to even mention George Bush and not have some people decide it's a free for all?

• Okram
    Okram

Who has the right to rape the moon?

• Okram
    Okram

First come first served?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit