Mom came to visit, tried sticking the elders on me!

by Eyebrow2 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Well, my mom came down for a visit...she was her for about 9 days. She mostly got to spend time with my kids, since I had to work, and was away for 4 of those days (she came down at this time partly so I could go away with my husband for a short trip).

Now, my mom is one of the sweetest people in the world, but a die hard JW. There is a hall about 1/2 mile away from me, so I made sure she was able to make her meetings while she was down here. Out of respect for her of course.....

Anyhoo....the first Saturday after my mother was back home, my son aswered the door to two gentlemen wearing suits. They were looking for me, they told my son that they had met my mother at the hall last week, and that she had asked that they come by and talk to me. Well, it wasn't that early...but 9:30AM on a Saturday sure feels early when you have up most of the previous nights working on a project....so I was still snoozing. My son politely told them I was asleep..,of course he then came and woke me up to tell me who was at the door.

I was pretty mad. I made it clear to my mother a while ago that I wanted nothing to do with the religion, but that I respected her decision, so I never interfer with her going to the meetings, or try to pull her out of it. I also thought I had got it through her head a year ago that I would not even discuss religion with her or any other witnesses...if I did, I would certainly be labeled an apostate for sure. The only reason I care about being disfellowshipped is because I have my mom and a brother and a sister that are witnesses, and still a couple of people who are still witnesses that I care about.

I am still upset; I move over 2000 miles, try to start a new life, and FINALLY feel free to have xmas decorations up outside of my house, and to be open about my non JW life....Had I known that she was going to pull this I would have never told her where the hall was.

Okay, I am done my ranting...what is a polite way to tell these guys when they come to the door again to go *%#^ themselves? I am wondering how vigilant these guys are...would they try to df me down here even thought they do not know me? Also, I have not talked to my mom about it yet...I don't want to make it a big issue, should I just say nothing unless she brings it up?

• shamus
    shamus

I hate to say this but mommy probably just got you disassosiated.

The elders will not look to kindly on the xmas decor in your home, and you're probably screwed.

That was a pretty mean thing to do, wheather she realized it at the time or not.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

"Don't send any JWs to my home... I'll be mean to them."

That is what I told my mother. So far no visits.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I know it was out of good intentions...it bugs me because I don't think she realizes what it could lead to....maybe they will just figure that they kept their word by trying and will give up and leave me alone....I must make a mental note to NOT be out front raking the leaves on Saturday mornings

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Just to teach her a lesson, send in one of those postcards to the Mormons requesting a visit using your mom's address.....

ok, not a good idea, I'll stay out of this one.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Actually...that wouldnt bother her in the least...she had this cute mormon guy that used to come by all the time and they would preach to each other....neither one of them got any where hahah

• shamus
    shamus

No no no, Yerusalim, not Mormons! AMWAY SALESMEN!!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Shamus is right...Life Insurance salesman or AMWAY dealers.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I must make a mental note to NOT be out front raking the leaves on Saturday mornings

Then you're playing right into their hands - you're changing your habits to suit their schedule. You aren't a member of their religion anymore, so they have no say over what you do or don't do on your own time.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Shamus, Yeru...you are going to laugh...I used to be life insurance agent (mom was my first customer) AND she and I used to both be in AMWAY (SHUDDER)....

Good point...I guess I should just suck it up, I was so tired of being careful where I used to live. I live across the street from 3 witness families, and there were about 3 more witness families right around the corner, not to mention my mom living in the apartment below. I think I will just not worry about it until or if they do show up again....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit