Should Reparations Be Given To Relatives of Slaves?

by minimus 69 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Some people say that’s the least we should do while others say no way!

What do you think about dispensing reparations??

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

It's all about democrats buying votes... At our expense!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Cold, hard cash ripped from honest workers and given to others who've done nothing to earn it? No way.

But African-Americans are the descendants of freed slaves and are disproportionately (I think) represented in the poor people of the US. (Of course, anyone, of any ethnic background, can be born into poverty.)

So for me, reparations are a big no-no. These kinds of demands typically boil down to Black Lives Matter holding the begging bowl and wanting for free what whitey has worked damn hard for.

But perhaps there should be some kind of investment to help the poorest communities - improved services, schools, etc.

It's not nice being poor (believe me, I know all about being poor). There should be a safety net and I think there's a better case to be made to invest in poor communities. That's got to be better than just people saying "hey, I'm black. Gimme your money!"

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

Liz says it better than I could in just TWO minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQfs5yeKY1Q

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

People who have never OWNED slaves (everyone alive in America) should not have to pay money to people who have never BEEN slaves (also everyone alive in America)

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

If this was the 1870's or 1880's, heck even the 1890's, this would be a very good subject. Being we are about 150+ years removed from actual slavery....NO!

• cofty
    cofty

Any politician or advocate who is encouraging the black community to demand reparations is their greatest enemy.

Black people in 2019 are not victims. Those individuals who think otherwise have fallen for an agenda that will keep them subservient.

• cofty
    cofty

My Testimony on Reparations

Coleman Hughes' testimony before Congressional Hearing.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

One thing I will say ( and this is not going to be popular , some think its divisive) is that a lot of the positive discrimination initiatives, such as Ivy league uni's ensuring a certain amount of places go to black students, are being taken advantage of by immigrants who have ZERO connection to DOS. For example many of these places in Harvard have gone to Nigerian immigrants or Samoans etc with only a small percentage being DOS. They are slowly being pushed out by (mostly well-off) kids of immigrants.

Barak Obama is a good example of this phenomenon.

So I do agree with LUHE that the poorest communities need to be helped rather than individuals - schools improved with small class sizes, free healthcare etc.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Reparations for what? I believe that, if you personally or as part of a group directly harmed other people, you owe reparations for that. None of this infinite "reparations" for something you had nothing to do with, and not if it is going to obscure the true source of the crimes. The owners of the slave ships owe far more to those people that were dragged out, against their will, from Africa to climates that are far too cold for them. Also, anyone trying to disperse more into whiter (usually colder) areas owe them repairs directly, such as a trip back to a cleansed Africa where the climate is better for them. And the groups or individuals need to be held to account that are continuing to ruin Africa, even if political correctness would be violated.

If I was mostly or totally black, I would rather be in Africa than in northern Europe or America where the temperature can reach -50 degrees during winter. (And not with white missionaries running around sticking their churches in their countries, ruining their homeland). The last place I would want to be is somewhere like Minot, ND (zone 3b), northern Germany, Oslo (they barely get any sun in winter), or northern New Hampshire or Maine (also zone 3b, and it stays cold there all winter). Find that offensive? It is no more so than planting a perennial that grows native in zone 9a through 11b in zone 2b--it is not going to be too happy there.

The flip side is that I would not like Africa to live in. (Or do a long mission there for some stupid church, for that matter). I want to live in a climate that I am suited for--and since I came from a northern state, I could handle 3b or 4a without much problem. And those trying to forcibly mix up two races that have conflicting needs is an ongoing crime--those who are at the top of this (Soros, this means you) are the ones that owe everyone reparations for this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit