Should Reparations Be Given To Relatives of Slaves?

by minimus 69 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WHAT COFTY SAID (ABOVE).

100 Likes!!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

IF reparations is about sending all black folks a check, trust me, it will never happen.

However, I must say I just found out recently that Holocaust survivors get "reparations", can't remember where I read that, but didn't know that before, which I find very interesting.

• Olig
    Olig

Funny, I was looking at this on twitter the other day. The amount of people agreeing with reparations is alarming... If black people get reparations for slavery I want reparations from the Norwegians for decimating my ancestors from 793-1066. Also I'll be dropping a bill off with the Romans.

If my great great grandad was a serial killer, and a victims family 4 generations down the line asked for reparations they would be ridiculed, never mind it actually being debated.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

You would have to legally prove who is black, since some descendants of slaves are and look white.. That would mean dna tests....Since what you inherit is random, it is entirely possible for someone to not inherit that marker.

It is more practical to help individual black communities.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

My mother is descended from slaves in Cuba. Then Castro's regime cut me off from my Cuban family, and I've only met one of my mother's 14 siblings. None of their families. So somebody better be putting my reparation checks in the mail.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

I could use a little extra cash.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's a problem with 'reparations': Oprah Winfrey is, like other African-Americans, descended from slaves.

She was apparently born into rural poverty. She's also a self-made billionaire.

So, should Oprah get monetary reparation?

Y'see, not all African-Americans are dirt-poor. Check out Will Smith's kids. They are black but were born into tremendous riches and wealth.

And not all whites are rich ...

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Terrible idea, it would just create more hatred and division than we have now. A better idea would be prison reform and making easier for people convicted of nonviolent crimes to re-enter the workforce. A one time payout is not really going to help most people who are struggling. Let's say they gave people 5,000 dollars, that sounds good but it isn't really enough to change anyone's life.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

If a person owes money to the IRS and passes away, should his descendants be forced to cover his commitments? I think not, and likewise these reparations should have been done at the right time. The descendants of those poor people have done nothing to deserve this payment, and likewise the rest of us have done nothing to be force to pay this money from our taxes to them.

The time has passed, and besides, how exactly would you go about identifying who they are? Not every black person in America is descendent from slaves.

Also we already have a social net to correct for any disadvantages that minorities might have, such as affirmative action, and the endless droves of people who dwell in the oppression olympics.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    If black people get reparations for slavery I want reparations from the Norwegians for decimating my ancestors from 793-1066. Also I'll be dropping a bill off with the Romans.

Right and while you are at it, why don't we do reparations for the American indians and give them back their land? Once you start spiraling down that vortex you see how ridiculous it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit