which Translation Now?

by enoughisenough 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I had never heard of The Expanded Bible. The only copies I can find online at the moment are quite expensive.

Other versions I often check, apart from those already mentioned, include Moffatt, The Original New Testament by Hugh Schonfield, Robert Alter’s translation of the Hebrew Bible, David Bentley Hart’s New Testament, the 21st Century Version by Vivian Capel, William Barclay’s New Testament, and the Contemporary English Bible.

• vienne
    vienne

My mom's library, now mine, has 103 different translations. Most have some interest, maybe excepting the Cotton Patch Bible.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Biblehub ,combination of Bibles is the best

NWT 1984 edition for the cross-references

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Slim,

Your list of useful Bible translations is very similar to mine. To that I may add the TANAKH, the Rotherham Bible, the Jonathan Mitchell NT, the Jewish Heinz W. Cassirer NT, the Apostolic Bible Polyglot, and the Interlinear/Concordance by McReynolds. There are so many good reference works out there.

On The Expanded Bible, it is not a must-have. It doesn't excel at anything in particular. The reason I use it has to do with my old-age tendency of laziness in the research department. There was a time that for any-one doctrinal issue that came up along the way, I would scour dozens of Bibles and reference works every time. I got tired of that. So now, more than ever, I value reference works that same me time and effort. This is where The Expanded Bible comes in. And this why I value Study Bibles (like the NIV, CSB & the CEB) all the more. (Incidentally, this may be one reason poster vienne likes the 26 Translations Bible.)

These aids help me understand any biblical passage within its context. They explain Bible customs, seasons, measures, ancient traditions, adding many relevant cross-references. The Expanded Bible has many notes within the main text. so there is no need to take your eyes of your reading spot, unless one chooses to go deeper in the research. That said, there are more comprehensive reference works elsewhere.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

raymond frantz: "Biblehub ,combination of Bibles is the best"

Good website! It should be noted, though, that most of it has an Evangelical slant.

Compare that to this website: https://www.bibliatodo.com/en

This website offers a more broad spectrum. It even offers the NWT 1984 version among its list of versions.

The website is also available in French, Portuguese, and Spanish, for those seeking alternative readings.

• jhine
    jhine

Sorry that I've been a while getting back on .

The reason that l said no JW answers is because as with everything they only push their own agenda. The Tetragrammaton definitely was in the NT writings but was deliberately removed by apostates to back up false Trinitarian teachings . That kind of thing .

Then they choose to put the Divine Name back into the Bible to back up their teachings. Also their methodology for translating is at best in question .

I read the Howard pdf and to be honest while following their reasoning l still saw lots of

Reasonable to ASSUME

In his OPINION

Etc .

Also if l read it correctly the Tetragrammaton was sometimes substituted by other words in MSS of the OT . So this practice of substitution isn't a new thing for lots of reasons including honouring the Sacred nature of the Divine Name.

As l previously said for every scholar on one side of the debate there will be one on the other side . The point being that the matter is still under debate until proof is found to settle the matter.

It still just could , and l emphasise could , be possible that the writers of the NT deliberately used Kyrios etc. instead of God's personal name when quoting from the OT on purpose.

I didn't mean to sound bolshi about this and apologise if l did .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit