which Translation Now?

by enoughisenough 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

I like the English Standard Version best since it is a pretty good mixture of word for word translation and thought for thought.

From the biblical unitarian perspective, and one that retains the use of Gods name in the text I like the Revised English Version.

Matthew 1, REV Bible and Commentary (revisedenglishversion.com)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I usually go to the NIV online, but I caught myself pulling out the Diaglott recently when "online" wasn't available.

(Yeah you read it right. No internet in the heart of the USA [admittedly very rural heart of the USA] even though we've been paying a tax for it since Al Gore introduced the idea.)

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    without any reason for that.

The OT uses the divine name. When the NT quotes a verse from the OT that uses the divine name, it is also reasonable to conclude that the original Bible writers of the NT also used the divine name in the NT. By the same token it is also axiomatic that Jehovah is God and any verse in the Bible that implies or infers the true God is referring to Jehovah. It is also interesting that Bible translators of the OT also substitute the divine name with titles.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Apart from reading the bible for research, or other academic purposes, do you guys believe the bible is the inspired word of God?

• vienne
    vienne

NIV is as doctrinally slanted as is the NW. The grammar is better.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    • do you guys believe the bible is the inspired word of God?

Thats a different topic ,

But to respond to you: It is like listening to the evidence presented at a trial. You come to your own conclusions. You evaluate the evidence on both sides and decide what you want to believe.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

New Revised Standard Version

• jhine
    jhine

Fisherman ' it is reasonable to assume " , have you never heard the saying that to assume makes an ass out of you and me ?

There is zero evidence that the Divine name was in the NT .

Jan

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

The reason I ask is because I find it interesting that anyone coming from a JW background and has presumably researched the history/ authenticity of the bible, still wants to study it for personal growth, or find meaning in its content.

I know there are some beautiful words and thoughts in it but there are also a lot of disturbing ones.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    There is zero evidence that the Divine name was in the NT .

There’s the large number textual variants in the New Testament where kyrios (Lord) stands for the divine name; copies of the LXX that show the divine name was used in biblical texts at the time the New Testament was composed; testimony from Roman authors that ordinary Jews used the divine name in the form Yaho in the time of Jesus and the early Christians; the treatment of the divine name in the Syriac Diatessaron; references to the divine name in the New Testament text itself such as Revelation 3:12 and 14:1; and the presence of the divine name in the form Yaho in early onomastica used by Christians that explain the derivation of names in the Bible. These are all pieces of evidence for the divine name in the early New Testament. Plus the Bible scholars who have supported the idea that the divine name was in the original New Testament, including: George Howard, Lloyd Gaston, David Trobisch, John McRay, Frank Shaw and Luise Schottroff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit