a pet peeve of mine

by enoughisenough 49 Replies latest jw friends

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Does having a good job and letters after your name make you superior?

Reminds me of the story about two guys walking through a downtown business district. They stopped in front of a business with a man's name on the door followed by the letters of his college degrees. B.S. M.S. and Ph.D.

First man asks, "I wonder what all those letters mean?"

Second man replies, "Well, we all know what B.S. is. M.S. means More of the Same, and Ph.D means piled high and deeper!"

Thank you! I'll see myself out, and don't forget to tip your server.

• TD
    TD

So, enoughisenough

Do you understand what we mean by "Window Washer University" now?

There's a good example of it in a thread you are currently participating in.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

TD...I got it...but the terminology is still demeaning to people who are just trying to provide for themselves and their families. Are some put in positions in the congregation that is out of their expertise? YES But, if a man is a lawyer and asked to perform surgery, would you use define him with derogatory words because he was out of his field of knowledge? NO! because you perceive the doctor to be educated. On the note of education, I had an Aunt with a phd, but Dad said she didn't have common sense.

• TD
    TD

But, if a man is a lawyer and asked to perform surgery, would you use define him with derogatory words because he was out of his field of knowledge? NO!

No indeed.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH:

I see what you’re saying but you are still missing the point about why these unflattering things started to be said about these trades people in the first place.

Witnesses with these jobs/trades made it a point to demean or shun other people in the congregation with college and/or white collar employment.. They made it sound as if they were morally superior or more ‘spiritual’ than these JWs with the college degrees, etc.

It became particularly touchy when these relatively uneducated JWs were counseling people who should really have been seeing professionals instead.. So the criticism and unflattering remarks about ‘window washers/janitors’ got started. Unfortunately, the label stuck and it offends some!.. But, don’t forget Witnesses with their stupid biases started it all.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I have an education. But I Don't look down on those who have trade jobs. What bothers me is elders who are window washers, building contractors, etc, and you turn to them for just say mental health advice and they arrogantly tell you to pray more and do more for the Org. When really you should see someone with schooling and knowledge in this area. Honestly, would you see someone who clean windows for a living about your mental or personal health?

• TD
    TD

The term was coined 30+ years ago in the early days of JW discussion forums (I was there)

There were many more JW apologists back then, each one smug in the assurance that JW teaching trumped "Wordly education."

The takeaway was simple. --Don't argue outside the sphere of your own knowledge.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Many good points have been given as to people needing professional help, but get told to pray, read Bible, go to meetings, more service ( a fix all from the WT.) The fault lies with the WTBTS instructing the r and f to go to the elders for every hiccup to start with....but they go to the elders who just parrot what mother org tells them. Go to the elders for depression and learn you aren't spiritual enough and that is why you are depressed! vicious circle...I used to think the elders were there to care for the sheep but found they were toothless lions who played favorites.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH:

Not just ‘toothless lions’ but in some cases very ignorant men with biases against some people in the congregation.

Once I saw this, and that I was one of the people it was directed towards, I never accepted a shepherding call again and I never went near an elder again!

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Good topic enoughisenough.

My take is it doesnt matter if you are an elder with a phd, or a high school drop out. Either way, you arent required to think too much in order to carry out your duties an a company man in the org, in fact thinking too much is discouraged.

As far as humilty or empathy go, it depends on the individual- is an every day man like a tradesman or labourer likely to be more understanding than a university educated professional? Your profession alone doesnt make you more intelligent, or guarantee you are going to succeed in life.

smiddy3
    NOT ONE To BE PICKY , enoughisenough ,however I fail to see why plumbers and construction workers are included in your list ? As being less educated ?
    Just saying LOL

Im getting some quotes for a renovation right now. The builders are asking $800.00AUD ($512.00 USD) per day each - not including any materials. Im sure a lot of uni graduates wish they were making that much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit