a pet peeve of mine

by enoughisenough 49 Replies latest jw friends

• KIMSILVIO
    KIMSILVIO
    Does having a good job and letters after your name make you superior?

Just because you have letters after your name, doesn’t mean you can spell - I understand what your saying 👍

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

The issue is when the window washers, janitors, plumbers etc put on monkey suits and presume expertise in fields far removed from theirs.

I'll take lessons in window cleaning from someone whose profession it is. But I may fact check him on archaeology, history, physics and medicine.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I think people have always associated a college degree with higher intelligence. When I was young, college was something that you did if you wanted to become an engineer, or a doctor, and other professions that required a lot of extra schooling and subjects like advanced math or biology. So it was a simple association- if you went to college, you were smart.

Like any stereotype, there will be rules and exceptions. For a JW, higher education was something that we were asked to forego in order to keep our faith strong. While this normally might cause people to have an inferiority complex, we also understood that we were smarter for doing so, since we would enjoy salvation while those 'smarter' people died at Armageddon. So we had this ironic situation, where we passed on higher education while feeling superior to those who chose to go to college.

As for me, I was a good JW and passed on going to college. I became an IT technician and an IT administrator for a while. I only got the most basic certifications, and I did so around 20 years late, mostly so I could get a raise.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    I have no training in aeronautical engineering. want me to build your airplane?

No I don't. You could say you are a good submersible builder, if you don't accept inspection or verification I'm not going down in your sub. Too soon?

It's nothing to do with superiority as a human it's everything to do with setting yourself up in a field in which you have no standard of training and experience.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

A college degree isn't everything,

Our newest SCOTUS justice is highly educated but cannot define a "woman".

I don't think anyone intends to disparage the blue collar worker when they refer to such as lacking qualification to be an elder or whatever the subject at hand. Rather, it is to stress that they are not qualified for all the positions that WT places them in. Counselor. Therapist. Etc.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW
    I'm just not sure what you are blathering about. .A lot of this around this place

I don't think anyone is forcing you to read threads here, or forcing you to stay. You are free to leave without repercussions if you don't like it here. Then you won't have to suffer people "blathering" about anything.

See, an insult works both ways.

• cofty
    cofty

OP - well said

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Yes, it true I have a paper that shows I graduated from college. But. It doesn't show the hard work of the Businesses that my family have. And I'm the head guy. We bake bread for one thing. That sounds easy, but it's not. No one should give advice to others unless they are willing to take the advice themselves.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Having a degree or no degree, it is how you find your station in life to help your town and community. As I tell my kids, " Make the best of your life!"

• carla
    carla

Dear Enough..,

I was just explaining this very thing to a non jw the other day (I too am a non jw, a ubm) as I was saying to the non jw how the elders are not qualified to speak to people about mental health issues, marriage counseling, etc.... I did mention that many jw's are in fact 'window washers'. I explained that it was not meant as a cut to window washers or general laborers' only to point out that they do not have the education needed for such things like mental health, suicide, cutting, depression, post partum, eating disorders, etc........ I also work with my hands often as did my father and most of my family.

Why many jw's are in fact real window washers (or other small business) is often because it fits their jw schedule. It leaves time for pioneering, carts, etc... also fits my jw's lifestyle though he hides his activities from his ubm wife per jw elders & gb doctrines. I, a non jw, am not worthy of 'truth'. (see Aid book) . The non jw could not understand the secrecy of my jw and the life of being married to a jw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit