a pet peeve of mine

by enoughisenough 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Would you take advice about depression or relationships from a guy who washes windows? This the level of the borg. The elder's have no training in depression or Relationships and for that matter much. They are guys who work at various jobs(not wrong with that). But is wrong when they give bad advice. Look down on higher education. We should all try to improve ourselves.

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

Even on the Wheel Of Fortune show, the first question they ask them is what they do. People are so quick to categorize each other into work boxes. On the other hand, if someone said they drank all day and was an arsonist, most people would avoid them at all costs.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I went to university, just for the heck of it. I was already running a multimillion dollar company.

I continued to run it out of a nearly on-campus office with my secretary driving one hour each way to accommodate my craziness.

But, I checked out of the WT in Nov. 95 with the generation doctrine change and this seemed at the time like a reasonable thing to do, especially since I was single.

I threw a party once with other students who were 10 years younger and a few professors who were 10 years or so older.

During the party the dept. chair phd pulled me aside and asked me what the hell was I doing pursuing a college education since I was already making a good living.

It really made me realize that some highly educated people were just as lost as I was.

Later in the party, (after a few adult beverages), I almost had the dept. chair convinced that my dog could actually add and subtract. She found the barking show entertaining at first. But after she could not detect my cue (to stop barking at the correct number) she got more than a little put off.

But, I digress.

Point: Even highly educated people can be fooled by a barking dog.

• LV101
    LV101

I've known proprietors of a couple very successful window and professional house cleaning businesses. Friend's grandfather started washing windows in NYC (many moons ago - my friend mid 60s/youngest granddaughter) and during career invested his lucrative earnings into Florida real estate (buildings) -- quite the land baron. The maid (residential) expanded her business to commercial cleaning, window cleaning, and landed gov contracts. She's done immensely well.

There's always a shortage of industrious, ethical, window/housekeeping businesses in this city and costs more than double than what paid in so california. Good luck squeezing in w/a reputable, solid, window cleaning company If not on monthly schedule. There's many start ups if you want to roll the dice.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Label me! Label me!!! Harder!!! I have no safe word!!!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

LV. Those people use contract labor brothers. Underpaid, no insurance, then give talks about materialism.

• LV101
    LV101

RTN -- that's sad and the negative influence of those talks is disgusting.

I'd assume 'contract labor brothers' are in position to become skilled/knowledgeable and move up the chain -- I know many in construction do very well -- maybe only top percentile. What's sad -- a friend/mgmnt for one of the old dogs (GK big company/mammoth - the old dog co only takes on 20,000 sq. ft+ custom residential/recently completed 35,000 sq. ft/$75 mil home and construction workers strive/told me they were proud to work for him even 25 yrs. ago) recently told me playing field turning and it's once again a contractors' market. I never knew it wasn't! The contractors' young family members over segment of co. but they all go with the flow. Past couple yrs. millworkers, etc., were demanding X amt. giving Ks a real challenge but tides are changin'.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

To know the truth about prospects for a window washer, watch "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying". πŸ˜„πŸ˜†πŸ˜ΈπŸ‘

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

I was a divorced young single mother when I came into the organization ( a convert from the world). I HAD to work full- time to support myself. PlUS the ex husband wasn't paying for child support. It was all on my shoulders to make a living.

I got into the real estate field- but property management division. Not a commission only job like a realtor is. This had a salary and benefits. I was heavily discouraged by the elders to keep the job and was pressured to quit. One brother would say - your working too many hours and you have to remember you have other responsibilities. You have spiritual responsibility and you have to raise your child.

As if I didn't know this! If I was a man I doubt there would of been any issue. Like seriously, do they tell men not to work full- time? ( I honestly don't know, but O doubt it!).

After a few years of it I gave into the pressure and went into Bookkeeping. It was a part- time thing and I only jhad a few clients. I had to go on food stamps & medicade because I wasn't making much.

After some years of living in poverty I started to wake up. I faded out and became inactive. The 1st thing I did when I left was 1. Get a staff job at a University ( good salary/retirement & benefits) 2. Started back to school to pursue a Bachelor's degree. It took me 6 years working full-time and raising kids as a single mom to finally get my degree, but I did it!! Out of poverty and self supporting!

I think they look down on anyone not pioneering. But how do they expect a single parent to pioneer and give up a stable job? Ridiculous

• TD
    TD

I'm going to use a member of my wife's family as an illustration.

This gentleman owns a window cleaning business. He's a successful man with dozens of employees. --Lives in a nice house and drives a nice car. He's a JW elder and from what I can see, is highly regarded in his congregation.

This man is not stupid by any stretch of the imagination. He's way above average in intelligence.

What this gentleman is missing is depth:

He regards himself as knowledgeable when it comes to the Bible, but doesn't understand the difference between the JW's wild allegorical interpretation of it and actual scholarship. He mistakes the former for the latter.

He can't compose a simple sentence in Ancient Greek, or for that matter, even pronounce the word Koine, and yet believes he's very conversant in Bible translation. He doesn't understand what higher criticism is or why it is necessary, but holds a very dim view of it.

This gentleman has no children of his own, is not qualified as a grief counselor and his ideas of marriage are skewed by the belief that men are inherently more intelligent than women. And yet he gives advice in all these areas.

This gentleman knows very little about human physiology and nothing about medicine and yet as a JW elder believes he is knowledgeable in a very esoteric branch of emergency medicine. --Much more so than medical professionals.

In short, he's an alumni of Window Washer Uni.

I know the term gets used thoughtlessly sometimes, but there are legitimate examples of what it's meant to describe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit