a pet peeve of mine

by enoughisenough 49 Replies latest jw friends

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Putting this under "friends" because I couldn't figure out where to put it. It is very often on here and in ex jw videos, ect that people like to undermine some of those who once we would have called friends. There seems to be a view that window washers, plumbers, cleaners, construction workers are somehow less intelligent than those who may be college educated. I don't think this labeling is in anyway kind or accurate. Are these ones really inferior people? Or are others just Proud! and like to pick on those who made other choices? Does having a good job and letters after your name make you superior? Maybe some didn't make the wisest career choices, but that doesn't make them ignorant. ( except to the wiles of the WT) I know of one JW who was in the cleaning business who invented a machine for cleaning and became a millionaire! Some of the smartest people I ever met were just good ole country boys who could take on just about any task before them. The men were one person mechanics, builders, plumbers, electricians, artist and could wash a window too! as well as give a public talk. I think ones would do well not to malign anyone based upon an honest, howbeit humble occupation.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"I don't think this labeling is in anyway kind or accurate. Are these ones really inferior people? Or are others just Proud!"

I have no training in aeronautical engineering. want me to build your airplane?

I know of one JW who was in the cleaning business who invented a machine for cleaning and became a millionaire!
  • enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

SydBarrett, so you think an engineer is superior to other humans? Just because someone may be an expert in their field doesn't make them a superior human.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH:

I understand your point.

Unfortunately, what you have seen with regard to insults about ‘window washers’, ‘housecleaning’, etc. is a backlash against Witnesses who had these jobs in the congregation but who stupidly knocked other Witnesses that had college or white collar jobs.. They acted as though theirs was the only ‘approved’ 🙄work.. And in the eyes of jealous, judgmental Witnesses it was.

In the Witness religion there is/was a terrible bias with regard to college educated and/or those who had decent white collar jobs. (God forbid if you’re a woman.) SO, this is why the insults against the types of work you mention are plentiful and in some cases well-deserved.. In my opinion, the JWs have brought it on themselves with their wrong attitudes, envy and ignorant bias.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett
    SydBarrett, so you think an engineer is superior to other humans? Just because someone may be an expert in their field doesn't make them a superior human.

I'm just not sure what you are blathering about. .A lot of this around this place

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

It matters little how you view JWs or their occupations. What matters is how they view you. In their eyes you are an apostate or worldly person, not worthy of life and about to be destroyed. They view themselves as God's chosen people, alone worthy of life. They are mentally handicapped because of years of indoctrination and we should pity them no matter who or what they are.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I agree a lot with the original post. Some of the smartest people I knew have been builders, cleaners etc... not because that was all they could do but because they chose that, to spend their time as Elders, Pioneers etc. When I worked for a large company I often thought that the management there was inferior to that of the congregations....That was some time ago of course, I have not been impressed with the elders I see around now,

Of course they don’t know what an expert knows but we are talking of faith , not expertise. I only know that the Apostles were “ unlettered and ordinary men”.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

People are tribal. People are self serving. People are daft. People have a thing called 'ego'. Some people erroneously think they're better than others because of many different factors.

It's a shame. That's why we don't get along as we should,

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree with the main point of the O.P but more often than not the "window washer" bit has been used to describe how absolutely bereft of training the Elders are for their pastoral Role. They are trained how to "discipline", how to protect the Org, but not how to really care for the "sheep".

I think of one case, where they were dealing with a young man, married and working, but he had got badly in to debt, the Elders pulled him in and "disciplined" him for another matter, and he walked in to the sea and drowned himself a couple of days later.

Had they been qualified as Counsellors, and were really loving Shepherds, he would more than likely be alive today.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

NOT ONE To BE PICKY , enoughisenough ,however I fail to see why plumbers and construction workers are included in your list ? As being less educated ?

Just saying LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit