Regional Convention Stat. from the UK

by freddo 25 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

I think Scotland is split between Perth and Glasgow but I might be long out of date with that. Can anybody confirm?

Baptism used to be a really big event at Murrayfield involving buses transporting candidates and families to the pool.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

A youth baptized at 17 is very young in comparison to Jesus' baptism at age 30. A fact the 'society' often omits.

I see kids 8 years of age getting dipped. They have noooooo idea whatsoever, what they are getting involved with. I was 17 when I got dipped. I consider myself ''completely naïve'' when I was baptized at 17. But kids getting baptized at 8, real eye-opener.

I really didn't know what I was getting into at age 17.

• Biahi
    Biahi
    I was just 14 and had no idea either, although right after I came up out of the water, I remember thinking, "what have I done?"
  • GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

On reddit someone posted 32 dipped at Newcastle Arena. Seems quite a lot. 5200 on the Sunday.

• dozy
    dozy

Scotland assemblies are just at the "Hydro" indoor Arena in Glasgow now - no convention at Perth or Edinburgh.

26 in Scotland ( if correct ) is really poor - on a crude "pro rata" basis ( multiplied by 3 to account for the other 1 day / circuit assemblies ) that would be 72 baptised nationally out of 8K witnesses - less than 1%. If that is anywhere near accurate , accounting for deaths and exits , the decline in overall attendance would be quite significant.

The impression I get is that the overall worldwide baptism figures for the last few years have been helped by the Society encouraging really young kids to get baptised but inevitably that was something of a "one off" gain once all the 9 - 14 year old kids dropped off the figures.

For what it is worth , I'm convinced the Society will change baptisms to only once ( or perhaps twice ) per year.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

St Johnstone's football stadium in Perth was a horribly cold venue and was replaced several years ago by the SECC in Glasgow. The SSE Hydro arena has been used since 2014.

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

I think it was 33 at Newcastle - looked like half of them were children.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

The jws used to be able to boast "we don't baptize children like the churches do" well they can't say that anymore!

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I never saw a difference, between baptizing babies, and baptizing kid's to young to know what life is about, much less what they're doing!!!!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

4 days ago

Is there any point in them running the baptism pools any longer?

purrpurr...

From what I have heard to cut down on expenses, they will not be setting up baptism pools any longer but baptismal candidates will be asked to pray and then take a shower.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit