were there any psychopaths in your congregation?

by badboy 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Just the Circuit Overseer. He didn't like anyone who had a good paying job where there was any shiftwork involved, so he gave all the elders and ministerial servants a choice: either give up your job, or your position in the congregation. Some of the brothers said screw that, and they stepped down and kept their jobs. However, two elders gave up their $150,000/year job because "Jehovah has spoken", took jobs that paid less than half of that, but remained as elders. When the one elder got a $6,000 medical bill which his new company didn't cover (but which his old one would have), he complained to the dickhead CO who actually said "I never told you to quit your job. You decided that on your own."

I kid you not. Amazingly, this Circuit Overseer hasn't been murdered.

• Sassy
  • SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    Just the Circuit Overseer. He didn't like anyone who had a good paying job where there was any shiftwork involved, so he gave all the elders and ministerial servants a choice: either give up your job, or your position in the congregation. Some of the brothers said screw that, and they stepped down and kept their jobs. However, two elders gave up their $150,000/year job because "Jehovah has spoken", took jobs that paid less than half of that, but remained as elders. When the one elder got a $6,000 medical bill which his new company didn't cover (but which his old one would have), he complained to the dickhead CO who actually said "I never told you to quit your job. You decided that on your own."

Mary - grrrr stories like that make me froth!

In the Punta Gorda Florida congregation we had this lady with some serious issues. She was someone's study, and wouldn't follow a magazine but stare out at people and just laugh into the air for no reason. During the prayers she'd rock herself and her foot back and forth. She was such a freak.

• dustyb
    dustyb

i think i read some study somewheres that because of the stress that teh WTS puts on your life (unnoticed stress), everyone turns out whacky unless they get out. one of my friends that i grew up w/ that was a JW ended up whacked out on crack (his parents were hardcore JW's), etc etc. stress = whacky, muhaha

• shamus
    shamus

Weirdo's, yes! Psychopaths, no. Just weirdo's. People who couldn't watch "Star Trek" because Deanna Troy made him "Excited", LOL!

Not that the most normal people watch that show anywayz, LOL!

• undercover
    undercover

Star Trek. I remember that the original Star Trek with Kirk and Spock created a little bit of concern. Seems that evolution was prevelant on the show, so, guess what? It wasn't suitable for Christians.

I can't think of any true psychopaths, but there sure were some freakoids around. The pioneer sister who refused to shave her legs(this ain't France, mow them walkers). A brother who thought his pets talked to him (in English). The CO who condemned the entire congregation because their hours went down. We had lost Jehovah's spirit and we might as well join the world because we were wasting our time coming to the hall. The elder who went around and tugged on brother's hair. If it was too long, he told them to get a haircut. I'll think of more(and better ones) later I'm sure.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Oh yes.....

Huntington, New York Congregation, circa 1970:

1) Sister Iola G*rn*r; an old biddy whose husband was not in the "truth". She never had any children. She always wore those pill box hats ( like jackie kennedy) and was one of those "ferverent" witnesses. She looked like she should be home baking cookies for the grandchildren she never had. Instead she would go out in the field service and tell us all what to do in a most determined manner. When we would go door to door in pairs she would glare at us and say " which of you needs a crutch? Jehovah wants you to go to the door singley so that you can cover more territory!". As the only male pioneer ( and the "brother" with the "headship"--chuckle chuckle) I would speak up and say I thought we should go in pairs. And I always did. She would glare at me expecting me to melt. ( instead I faded!)

2) Sister Rosemary N**l; a matching bookend to Sister G*rn*r. It was rumored that she lost her only son in the Korean war, and still believed he was alive somewhere and hiding from her ( the parent in me reacts to that and I do sypathize with her, now) She would be out in the field service with a pasion, and tell all the young mothers " Not to carry their baby boys straddling their hips---it excites their private parts" She made a few issues over this with enough mothers .

These "Ladies" are what we considered the "old guard". They had been JWs since the depression years, and although they did not consider themselves of the "annointed"; they were treated like royalty--not due to their age--but due to their "passion" for the "Truth".

In retrospect, I think they were just bitter, lonely old women who seriously lacked any other direction to focus their energies. Their husbands, always non JW, were useless to them; and comments and the interaction these "Ladies" had with others was always harsh and "damning"

Pschycopaths? Maybe not clinical, but these women had nothing else in their lives and took being a JW to a "new and exciting" level.They left me with some hilarious memories!

• wednesday
    wednesday

sociopath/psychopath, psychos , whatever, run amuck in the org. Probably u will find them in any religion b/c they can get away with stuff that would get them arrested ordinarly. There are rapists, child molesters, fraud,running free. And that is just a small sampling of illegal stuff that goes on in the org. Where else could a rapist get away with rape and not go to jail? or childs molester, abuser?

• blondie
    blondie

Believe me, if your life gets entangled with a real sociopath/psychopath, it will not be easy to spot them. They can be very personable, intelligent, charming until the knife figuratively goes into your back.

Blondie

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I know alot of people who fit this bill; My mother I believe see is a psychopath. She is antisocial and very aggressive, I am not sure if she is perverted, or amoral, but she is without empathy as she feels no one has been through what shes been thru and so feels no empathy for anyone else.

and when my dad was alive I would say the same thing. I also know two recent ex elders that have these tendancies

psy·cho·path n.
    A person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.

Love Orangefat cat OrangeFat Cat 15 Blowing A Kiss

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit