Wealth, Poverty, and Morality

by SecondRateMind 226 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty
    the reason I charge (say) three times as much as the competition, is because ...

ALL your customers stopped listening right there.

My business consultancy rates are $0.00 per hour.

As you said, 'if you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys'.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    the reason I charge (say) three times as much as the competition, is because ...
    ALL your customers stopped listening right there.

Actually, my friend, in a previous life I had some considerable success selling Apple computers, which at the time were three times the price of cheap IBM compatible PCs. So, I am not entirely ignorant whereof I speak.

My business consultancy rates are $0.00 per hour.
    As you said, 'if you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys'.

Why should I ask for money, which I cannot collect over this forum, when I do not need it, anyway?

Best wishes, 2RM.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

The market won't bear fairy tale prices. With that said I was offering almost three times the minimum wage for a relatively easy gig at $20/hour on one building. If it worked out there would be more opportunities. Still, people can not even write one coherent sentence in response or just say 'I'll do it' when asked to give me information on their qualifications.

@hoser - Be better. Don't be marginal. If you want marginal go be the moron that can never stop putting cheese on my food when it's my one ask and I'm ordering for one. You'll make minimum wage and then you can bitch about the man holding you down while you do nothing to change your situation.

Cleaning is about details. If you cannot follow simple instructions you cannot work independently. I won't be there to babysit these people. Again, you have advice without knowing anything about what I was offering.

My friends have a handyman service. They have struggled for a decade to find help. People don't even show up for the interviews they beg for. One guy was stealing supplies they gave him for a job, doing his own work on the side, kept needing more if this or that, and they caught him.

Want more out of life? Be better. You have to grow as a person. Nobody can give you that and I sure as heck didn't work my ass off for 18 years building an impeccable reputation to hand off a job to people that can't follow simple directions and don't care enough to try to sell themselves as a good candidate.

I had three great candidates the first day out of a ton of responses. I emailed all three back with a few further questions and more about us. Only one of those replied. She seemed great. I emailed back to arrange an interview and have heard not one word back.

We have a full schedule of work, probably 20 families on a waiting list and people wait years for an opening. I turn down work all the time. Where are these other great workers out there? Where are all the people saying there are no jobs? This is cleaning work. The barrier to entry is low though to command good prices you have to deliver the goods by under promising and over delivering. I can't even get people to send an email with any care shown. What's it going to be like when I hire them and send them into offices of lawyers and engineers to take care of a three story office building on their own?

I'm good with not hiring. This is an experiment. It's not proving to be a fruitful one so far. I grew up poor. I know what it's like not to know where dinner is coming from. I know what it's like to rise above and have people around you pull you back trying to keep you poor with them to excuse their lot in life and lack of application. I'm not rich, but my wife and I do well for ourselves because we learned and grew and didn't blame everyone else for our lot in life.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    So SRM is holding up Jesus as the source of goodness - the same Jesus who, according to SRM, will torment those who remain unconvinced about his goodness in the fires of Hell for all eternity.

Cofty, do you really think the callous rich should get the best of this life, and the best of the next, too? I'm afraid goodness doesn't work like that. Justice will be done. So I believe.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol what a douce . Someone who works, plans and sacrifices to have the finical means to live a good life gets punished in the afterlife?

screw you and your “god”. And be advised your idea of “best wishes” are not welcomed by me.

• just fine
    just fine

👏 @ dubstepped. We have had similar issues in the business I work for. We pay well, have good benefits -but the way people act during the hiring process makes me shake my head. Don’t return phone calls, don’t show up for interviews, act stupidly in the interview etc.

We didn’t have a lot of money growing up, we always had food, But I didn’t have new clothes or fancy sneakers. ( I still remember the one time I found a pair of Nike’s on clearance and got them for school).

As an adult, I tried to never squander an opportunity to better myself or my financial situation because I know what the lack side looks like. I’m for equality of opportunity not equality of outcome.

• cofty
    cofty
    Justice will be done. So I believe

Just say what you mean. Everybody who doesn't agree with your superstitious beliefs will burn in Hell.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind

No, I didn't say that, and I don't mean it. At the risk of oversimplifying, one can be good, and a believer. One can be evil, and a believer. One can be good, and not a believer. One can be evil, and not a believer. I am sure God will dispose appropriately of our souls, in whichever quadrant of the matrix they inhabit.

But this is really a topic that deserves a thread of its own.

Best wishes, 2RM

• cofty
    cofty
    But this is really a topic that deserves a thread of its own

Then why did you start the thread by threatening people who you consider greedy and uncaring with an eternity of Hell?

Theocracy - Agree with me or else - because I speak for god.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    Lol what a douce . Someone who works, plans and sacrifices to have the finical means to live a good life gets punished in the afterlife?
    screw you and your “god”. And be advised your idea of “best wishes” are not welcomed by me.

Get used to the idea, _Morpheus, that all your wealth, however derived, is down to God's providence far more than it is due to your own virtue. And it is given to us to steward wisely on His behalf, not fritter on consumer indulgences.

Best wishes, whether you want them or not. 2RM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit