But I Wont Cry For Yesterday....

by Pleasuredome 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

a positive message for those who are feeling down.

after a year of being out of the 'mind prison', things seem to be moving in the right direction for me. i've met the people and am doing things that will make a real difference in my life. i guess i'm fortunate enough to be able to do this after leaving the borg whilst still in my mid 20's. there's along way to go for me. many things to do and experience.

after analysing the past 6 years i realised that i hadnt achieved anything. the borg had instilled in me such a short-term focus and expectation of armageddon, so i was unable to plan for anything in the future. now that i've been free from that mind control, the future isn?t as daunting. there are things to plan for and enjoy. i look back on those 'wasted' 6 years without any sort of anger, as it was a huge learning experience for me. maybe without those 6 years i wouldn't be in such a good position as i am in now. so i'm not going to look back with bitterness and resentment at the JW life. it's as if it never happened.

i know that some of you have spent many years involved with the cult, and that all that time you feel you wasted holds you back. how long can you let it hold you back for? at some point in time your going to have to say goodbye to your previous life in the WTS in order for it not to beat you down into your grave. throw those bitter feelings off that bridge of life and watch them fall with a smile on your face.

life is what you make it. there are many positive things you can make happen, look forward to, and care about, even if you feel your better years are behind you. you can create your own paradise, it doesn?t need to be dangled out of reach in front of you like it had been.

feel free to add your own message of encouragement.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yup, I wasted most of my "good" years in the borg....and have floundered since then for the past 12 yrs.....busy healing I suppose....but now, I realize I need to gear up and get on with a life that I WANT instead of just tending to the one that's been handed to me as a result.....sooooooo

Recently, I began pondering over my personal skills (nothing formally educational)....I have an artsy-fartsy gift for designing things of all sorts, as far as arts and crafts go....my personal fav is crochet design....and I taught myself 20 yrs ago and began almost immediately to design garments, afghans, hats and create new stitches and patterns....so just recently I decided to rehab my talent which has lain dormant for the past 10 to 15 yrs.....I am now working on designing and crocheting baby garments, afghans, hats and women's novelty sweaters, so unique, they're sure to be a hit....I'm gonna make 'em up, take pix, type up the patterns, create brochures and sell 'em, gradually segueing into catalog sales of the crochet patterns. And life goes on....and hopefully gets better.

Frannie B

• sandy
    sandy

This song always makes me think of the Org. and some of the friends I once had there and outside of it. It always brings some comfort to me.

http://www.angelfire.com/la3/eyesla/movingon.html <-------- You can listen to it here.

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons
    Finally content with a past I regret
    I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness
    For once I'm at peace with myself
    I've been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long
    I'm movin' on

I've lived in this place and I know all the faces
    Each one is different but they're always the same
    They mean me no harm but it's time that I face it
    They'll never allow me to change
    But I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong
    I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on
    At last I can see life has been patiently waiting for me
    And I know there's no guarantees, but I'm not alone
    There comes a time in everyone's life
    When all you can see are the years passing by
    And I have made up my mind that those days are gone

I sold what I could and packed what I couldn't
    Stopped to fill up on my way out of town
    I've loved like I should but lived that I shouldn't
    I had to lose everything to find out
    Maybe forgiveness will find me somewhere down this road
    I'm movin' on

• Nikita
    Nikita

Well said, PD.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I wasted my college and party years in the borg. I have had little to no relashionship experience. I have 4 children from ages 12 to 4 mos.

Out of the borg I have found this beautiful relationship. I didnt need "Experience" He has fun teaching me and I had fun learning. We made the 2 most beautiful baby girls in my world. Its never too late to go to college or to PARTY!!!!! I am right on track now and as long as I have a breath in me I intend to live my life to the fullest. I WILL start classes in a few months.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The thing is, I didn't ask for this to be taken away from me. I didn't make the decision to have this taken away from me. I don't spend my life dwelling on it because there's so much I want to accomplish in this life. I've set myself goals and I'm reaching them. However, I cannot forget the hurt it all caused me, the hurt I caused other people, and the humiliation I suffered. I cannot deny all these feelings I've experienced and all the fun I lost out on. I can't help but feel as if I missed out on part on the life I cherish. The energy and opportunities that I had in my youth was wasted. What I do with all this is learn from it and make the adjustments I need to pave a better, unwasted future for myself. It's better if I don't forget what I experienced.

• Purple
    Purple

Or you could look at anytime spent in the Borg as helping you realise a lot more about life than maybe you ever did. I decided to become involved so I dont cry about wasted time...it wasnt wasted I honestly believed in what I thought about at the time. I also enjoyed some of the time in the Borg, met a lot of people I never would of and got to experience so called true religion. It made me realise a lot about life, about waisting time and standing back expecting things to happen. I am the person I am today because of what I experienced yesterday. I have regrets but I also learnt and it was a part of my journey on earth. So grow becuase of the experience but get on with life whilst you have the chance.

Hey I just heard that a 17 year old youth was killed not 500 meters from my house at 3.00 am this morning on the radio news...does this reinforce the live for now message cause you honestly never know what is around the corner waithing for you..good or bad......

• alias
    alias
    the borg had instilled in me such a short-term focus and expectation of armageddon, so i was unable to plan for anything in the future. now that i've been free from that mind control, the future isn?t as daunting. there are things to plan for and enjoy. i look back on those 'wasted' 6 years without any sort of anger, as it was a huge learning experience for me. maybe without those 6 years i wouldn't be in such a good position as i am in now. so i'm not going to look back with bitterness and resentment at the JW life.

Pleasuredome,

I enjoyed your post and congratulate you on your progressive attitude. We let life slip by even more when we wallow in negative feelings and regrets about the past. Of course we need to take time to process our feelings, but if we want to move on with our lives, we have to accept what was and plan for what will be.

It's our choice.

alias

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Some of us are slow learners and it takes untill you are about 50 before you get the wake up call (I dont mean the "Awake!"

It is easy to feel bitter a bout a wasted youth, and a wasted maturity too. Certainly my whole life course and lfe decisions would have been different if I knew then what I know now. But Purple is right. I did learn a lot from the Borg . Not what they meant to teach me but things like , speaking ability, confidence among strangers, a love of reading , a fascination for history and latterly I have learned how to evaluate ideas (ie spot bullshit) and be forced to think for oneself.

There were a lot of good people in my past as well, and I still feel for them.

But I still wish it had been different

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Pleasuredome, your positive attitude is a great example to many here. When I was 21, I was far too insecure to make any such move in my life. I couldn't seem to wrench myself free totally until the mid thirties. By that time, I was in an abusive marriage, with a child.

I really admire you and your accomplishments--especially the fact that you truly do seem to understand that it is only through our experiences--good and bad, that we grow and change for the better.

So, even though we had the experience with the JW religion, it didn't destroy us because we didn't allow that to happen. We still have our mental facilities and we can still choose what we will do. The guilt and fear has been removed and now we can stand back and view it all from a different perspective.

You just got an earlier start on being rational and reasonable!!

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit