You'll die if you don't go to meetings

by Bonnie_Clyde 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has toyed with the idea that indirectly not attending the meetings is a sin against the holy spirit. Just recently, a family member told a non-JW family member that my husband and I were doomed to destruction because we didn't attend KH meetings.

w70 6/1 p. 336 Remain "Healthy in Faith" ***

While regular attendance at Christian meetings will help you to remain "healthy in faith," persistent, deliberate and unnecessary absence from these gatherings weakens faith and may be a step in the direction of loss of faith and even willful sin, unforgivable sin against the holy spirit. (Matt. 12:31, 32) Persons who were once enlightened with accurate knowledge of God?s truth but who sin willfully, disown the Son of God, they trample upon him. Paul said, after urging Christians not to forsake the gathering of themselves together: "For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and there is a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition." The apostle also stated: "Any man that has disregarded the law of Moses dies without compassion, upon the testimony of two or three. Of how much more severe a punishment, do you think, will the man be counted worthy who has trampled upon the Son of God and who has esteemed as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and who has outraged the spirit of undeserved kindness with contempt?" (Heb. 10:26-29; Deut. 19:15)

w80 11/1 pp. 30-31 Questions from Readers ***

Does

the missing of Christian meetings in itself constitute an unforgivable sin, since, at Hebrews 10:24-29, the apostle Paul speaks of this sin right after discussing the importance of meetings?

Failure to heed the command to attend Christian meetings is serious and could lead to disastrous consequences for a servant of Jehovah. However, more is involved in committing the unforgivable sin.

Reading the full 10th chapter of Hebrews will be helpful in understanding the matter. The apostle first points out that sacrifices under the Law provided no forgiveness of sins, but were a shadow of good things to come, involving the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Jehovah provided Jesus Christ as the perfect sacrifice to take away sins. This is a specific provision of the "new covenant." The apostle gives encouragement to "hold fast the public declaration of our hope without wavering." (Heb. 10:23) How can this be done? He points out the necessity of gathering together regularly to incite to fine works, not giving in to the custom of some to slight Christian meetings. Rather, we should be attending such meetings "all the more so as you behold the day drawing near."?Vs. 25.

It is in this setting that the apostle continues: "For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and there is a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition. Any man that has disregarded the law of Moses dies without compassion, upon the testimony of two or three. Of how much more severe a punishment, do you think, will the man be counted worthy who has trampled upon the Son of God and who has esteemed as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified?"?Heb. 10:26-29.

Hence, the conjunction "for" that begins the paragraph at verse 26 is not just a connective to the exhortation to attend Christian meetings, but ties back to all that is said prior thereto. One must accept God?s way of salvation through Christ and continue to appreciate this provision, while having in mind that the attending of meetings is one of the ways Jehovah has provided to keep one strong in faith and active in good works. That this is the case is further confirmed by what the apostle says in verse 29, where he shows what punishment is due one who "has trampled upon the Son of God and who has esteemed as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified."

So we should not discuss Hebrews 10:24, 25 out of its setting and imply that failure to attend the meetings regularly is in itself what the apostle is talking about in discussing those who commit the unforgivable sin. Of course, when a person has "the custom" of not attending the meetings, he is working against his own spiritual interests and is in grave danger of growing weak in faith and becoming inactive in Christian works. This, in turn, could lead to a person?s actually denying or not taking seriously the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ and his thus losing out on everlasting life.

The sin mentioned at Hebrews 10:26-29 does not apply to one from which the sinner is able to repent in sincere grief, appealing to God through Jesus for divine mercy. The sinner has actually renounced the Son of God as his savior and esteemed his sacrifice as having no redeeming value.?Compare Hebrews 6:4-6.

Such a person is sinning against accurate knowledge and the operation of God?s holy spirit, and there is no possibility of his repenting and availing himself of God?s provision for salvation through Christ. God has made no other means available for saving such a willful sinner.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Good points Blondie! How much regard do they show the Holy Spirit by taking it out of the Baptism pledge and adding in the WTS in its place? Is this not sinning against the HS? Which is worse do you think? Maverick

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I am sure that my answer on a question like this would be : " since we all have to die, if we go to the meetings we are dieing too"

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

I think this is the most cultish teaching of them all. What would stop the GB from changing the "provision" for five weekly meetings to six or seven.... or 24-hours a day? The same reasoning would apply (especially considering the 5 meeting practice is completely arbitrary and not mentioned at all in the Bible.) What if Jehovah "provided" through the GB, of course, for members to sell their belongings and move to a commune for perpetual worship??????

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The Sabbath was originally established as a simple day of rest, not as a time for mandatory worship. It was only with the implementation of the Levitical law that it became a "holy convention." (Lev. 23:3) To compare JW meeting times with the Sabbath as a time of enforced worship runs contrary to everything the scriptures say about the Sabbath. It was, first and foremost, a time to be rested and refreshed, and it was not meant to be a burden. "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

No wonder the 'spiritually strong' ones don't go out of their way to greet me at the few meetings I happen to attend? They must all think I'm already dead, so why bother.

DY

• greatteacher
    greatteacher

Excellent point Simplesally about principles being laws. In fact, my brother (an MS) told me that at the meeting they had with the CO a couple of months ago, they were told to treat prinicples as laws and that the priniciples come from the "faithful slave." Can the organization get anymore controlling?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The WTBTS can control every single aspect of your life, but only if you let them.

The key is not to ask any questions. You know, silly stuff like "what's the biblical point of view about this?" or "what should Christians do under these circumstances?", etc.

If mature individuals would only stop asking the elders or others in the lead silly questions, they would have less hold on people!

During a visit, about a year ago, I recall telling an elder if my hubby and I ever had any problems the elders would never know it, because if we were capable of making the problem we'd be capable of solving it too. The surprised look on his face was priceless. I've also told some sisters who've confided in me not to take their marital problems to the elders because they were mere imperfect men, and these have gotten back to them, so now I'm not very well looked upon by them.

DY

• blondie
    blondie

w88 10/1 27 Remember Christian Principles
    Principles are basic truths or fundamental laws from which other truths or laws can be derived.
  • undercover
    undercover
    If mature individuals would only stop asking the elders or others in the lead silly questions, they would have less hold on people!

How true.

If you look at the congregations that you are/were associated with, you'll notice that the most well-adjusted JWs are the ones who do not look for guidance on every little thing in life from the elders or the publications. A lot of JWs though can't think for themselves. They have been spoon fed everything they are to think and believe so when a problem arises they don't know how to handle it, so they go running to an elder. If people would just use some common sense and logic, think it through, they would realize that they don't need advice from the elders.

Principles are basic truths or fundamental laws from which other truths or laws can be derived.
    Well, hell. That pretty much gives em carte blanche in making any ole law that they want to make. But isn't that what Jesus condemned the Jewish religious leaders for doing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit