You'll die if you don't go to meetings

by Bonnie_Clyde 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Last Sunday's Watchtower admits (p. 17) that "we are not under the Mosaic Law." But in the next paragraph it says that just as the tithing arrangement was not optional for the Israelites, meeting attendance is also not optional for Christians.

The first page of the February 2004 Kingdom Ministry tells us why. After talking about how Christian families should give priority to attending meetings regularly, it encourages us to look at things from Jehovah's standpoint:

"By gathering wood on the Sabbath, one Israelite man deliberately failed to consider Jehovah's point of view. He may have reasoned that he was providing for his family or that it was just a small thing. By means of the judgment rendered, however, Jehovah showed that pursuing mundane activities during times designated for worship is a serious matter." Numbers 15:32-36 is cited. Verse 35 and 36 says: "Without fail the man should be put to death, the whole assembly pelting him with stones outside the camp. Accordingly the whole assembly brought him forth outside the camp and pelted him with stones so that he died, just as Jehovah had commanded Moses."

No excuses - household duties, secular work or school work should never encroach on time set aside for the worship of Jehovah. Some worker's trade shifts with workmates, seek a more suitable job, or simplfy their life-style. Some parents explain to teachers that their children cannot complete their assigned homework because attendance at Christian meetings is a priority for their family.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I remember an elder talking about the principles to be learned in the Mosaic Law......then said, there are only two laws for Christians.... love God and love your neighbor as yourself.......but then the zinger was that all principles were laws to christians. ughhhhhh

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    "Accordingly the whole assembly brought him forth outside the camp and pelted him with stones so that he died, just as Jehovah had commanded Moses."

• blindfool
    blindfool

It does not seem like a very far leap from what the February KM is saying and what is described in Matthew 12: 1-14.

Here the Pharisees were giving Jesus a hard time about the Sabbath. Jesus told the Pharisees that "the Son of man is Lord of the Sabbath."

It really makes you wonder; would Jesus have been a good JW?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well I gues I will wait on Jehovah to slay me down in the same way I was told told to wait on Jehovah for justice regarding all my abusers

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

More circular reasoning. Jesus would not have made a good JW. But I'm not sure who he would take out first, those lying and deluding in his name or the makers and distributers of the WWJD paraphanalia.

Gretchen

• VM44
    VM44
    "during times designated for worship"

OK, where are the five meetings times JWs gather mentioned in the Bible?

"time set aside for the worship of Jehovah"

The meetings really are times set aside for the worship of the "Watchtower Bible and Tract Society"!

--VM44

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I always loved that "congregate together" but no mention of when. JWs look on themselves as superior because they have more meetings than Christian denominations that only meet on Sunday, yet there is no scriptural basis for having all the meetings they do. And as for the basis of the meetings, is all that really necessary if you are to strictly follow the bible? Nope can't say as it is.

• El blanko
    El blanko
    "By gathering wood on the Sabbath, one Israelite man deliberately failed to consider Jehovah's point of view. He may have reasoned that he was providing for his family or that it was just a small thing. By means of the judgment rendered, however, Jehovah showed that pursuing mundane activities during times designated for worship is a serious matter." Numbers 15:32-36 is cited. Verse 35 and 36 says: "Without fail the man should be put to death, the whole assembly pelting him with stones outside the camp. Accordingly the whole assembly brought him forth outside the camp and pelted him with stones so that he died, just as Jehovah had commanded Moses."

Hmmm.... an interesting use of scripture.

Whilst understanding the need to gather together and upbuild one another, I can't see it meaning the death sentence, being as we are not bound by the Mosaic Law.

There is no specific scripture under Christ's leadership that indicates that this could be the case.

I can see that it is a matter of faith within the WatchTower organization to believe that hook, line, and sinker.

I'm sure people do have genuine reasons from time to time not to attend a Sunday meeting or whatever. Like being down-hearted for instance?

The original "Sabbath" is completely different to the current Christian arrangement. Tying the two together in this way makes Christ look hard-hearted IMO

I see what they are getting at, but think the choice of words is overbearing.

• Maverick
    Maverick

What about Jesus words that, "where two or more are gathered in my name, I am with them?"...Oh wait that's Jesus name, the JW's gather in Jehovah's name. And nowhere in the manuscripts used to translate the New Testament is Jesus quoted as saying the word Jehovah...(except the WTS books cause they added it in ), so I guess if they can put words in Jesus mouth, they can tell you that you HAVE to go to meetings! It's the same as them telling you moving books and mags are sacred service but looking after widows and fatherless boys is not!...(Look at your time slip and see what counts.) Maverick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit