ExJW responsible for calling the police at the Warwick protest, NOT Watchtower

by Diogenesister 22 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    ExJW responsible for calling the police at the Warwick protest, NOT Watchtower

I don't agree with the protest, but it wasn't me.

I find this very difficult to understand. Anyone who saw the bravery of the women who stood up in the Kingdom hall and told the story of their abuse and rape could not fail to feel compassion and offer their support.

Please know that there are many ex-JWs out there who still have various degrees of attachment and believing in that organization. Some ex-JWs are not ex-JWs necessarily by choice (or "by choice"). Some were kicked out, but still believe and behave as if they are JWs.

Considering that, it doesn't surprise me.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Interupting a church service of strangers who are unable to anything to help you and dump your emotional garbage on them is not brave. Its flat out stupid, not to mention illegal.

Do that at the congregation that was “home” to you when you experianced the things you want to air and then it would be brave and have a basis for understanding. You would be addressing the people (or at least congregation) involved. This was pointless stupid and in fact outright cowardly. Epic fail.

I look forward to the dislikes.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Sorry Morph, I gave you a like. But don't worry, I doubt it'll become a habit!

I agree that these tactics are are incredibly pointless.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The words of the OP were aptly, “According to”.

I do not know anything about the modestly named “The Great Apostate”, but are there any independent sources?

Some of the crowd at this event often play fast and loose with the truth (take the Johnny the Bethelite fiasco), that it makes me not want to take anything anyone says at face value.

And even if one of the protestors did call, how do we know it was this ex-Bible student person?

It could well be true, but before making accusations, I definitely think we need to factcheck.

• thebrokenkite
    thebrokenkite

@Londo111 Agreed. Especially when the accusations may lead to greater discord among the ex-JW community. I can only attest to this man self-identifying as a Russelite while in my presence and that the park ranger stated someone called requesting the cancellation of the protest citing safety concerns. As you can read in the video’s comments, many who thought this man an ex-JW or an ally of Cedars attacked him accordingly. I’d be curious to hear more of the details others were apparently privy to. Whether guilty or not, I think our outrage is best reserved for WT and its ruling elite.

• steve2
    steve2

She may have been upset at the interruption or nervous of the person near her but she could very easily have been upset at hearing the testimony, perhaps even having some experience of such abuse herself.

Or she may have felt upset because the video camera/phone kept on recording with her in the frame and she felt unable to move (e.g., out of fear, surprise, etc). Who hasn't found themselves in a totally unexpected situation and wondered later why they reacted the way they did such as freezing?

BTW, I admire the courage of the women who spoke out about their abuse. I'm just in two minds about the camera appearing to be trained on those two women in the audience who appeared to be affected by what was happening. Not respectful to keep recording them when they appear so uncomfortable. Yes, I know those women just happened to be in the frame so I'm not suggesting it was deliberately done - it's just the way it comes across - and could account for the women's reactions.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The WTS had plenty of warning and time to strategize.

Betcha this ex-JW so-called was a Watchtower plant. Turning violent .... really now! Maybe the violent ones, if any, were plants as well.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Nothing happened at this protest that was in any way threatening, dangerous or violent to anyone. Try going to a football match if you would like to compare. WT infantalizes these people with boogie man stories I refuse to join in.

But, having said that.

I liken individual JWs and individual congregations to employees and customers of a fast food franchise that do NOT have any decision making authority for the franchise they only work there and follow a pre determined procedure or eat there.

IOW Strategically speaking it would be useless to complain to them about policies and procedures only the franchise headquarters has the power to change. Don't take a no from someone who doesn't have the power to say yes.

Still, protest outside establishments with signs t shirts etc is worth it if it draws attention to the problem.

In this case, of course, WT heirarchy is unreachable and their attitude is "talk to the hand" so I understand the frustration, I do, I really do.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

@steve2 - yes you are right. I am only speculating so it's impossible to say what the reason for the upset is and it could easily be the invasive nature of the filming. I think it's still an unusual reaction compared to the stony faces we normally see in these types of videos.

• a watcher
    a watcher

Interesting. This reminds me of the events mentioned in the Bible, past and future, where the enemies of Jehovah and His people end up fighting EACH OTHER while Jehovah's people get away safe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit