Survey

by Vienna 28 Replies latest jw friends

• somebody
    somebody

Hi Vienna,

Welcome!

My answer to your question is, a.

SlayerLayer,

I obviously have no love for the organization, but they do teach the following of Jesus.

They organization does SAY that they follow Jesus. Just like they SAY that disfellowshipping does not sever family ties. ( those are only two of the lies the org tells the public/media site ). My opinion is that they tell these lies just to "appear loving" to rake more unsuspecting, innocent, kind-hearted people into "buying" membership to salvation through them. The org does NOT actually follow Jesus at all. If that were the case, they would not participate in the evil practice of disfellowshipping. The org distorts the letters Paul wrote to the Corinthian congregation, and then take those letters and hold them above the words of Jesus. If they are anything, I'd say they are Paul followers. Pick up any watchtower magazine and just count how many times Jesus is mentioned, and then count how many times Paul is metioned. If it isn't Paul they talk about the most in articles, it's themselves.

That's my view of whether the org follows Jesus or not.

peace,
    somebody

• Vienna
    Vienna

Thanks everyone for replying and the welcome--you're right outnfree, there is definately lots of diversity in beliefs, which is very interesting. I really identify with your comment, Mulan, on finding Jehovah, but not the JW Jehovah. That was one of the hardest things to change in my mind, because everytime I looked at a scripture I always thought of the God that the JWs had created (and don't forget the New World's Translation, and how that version was printed just to fit JW doctrine).

It took a long time to develop a personal relationship with God, and now it's still an ongoing process. It's funny how much they controlled our thoughts and what we should think--don't you all think it has even permanately shaped even our personalities?? Okay, the bible says there's nothing we can do to earn salvation because we are sinful, only Jesus can give salvation, and that's the hardest thing to keep in my head because for YEARS I was told meetings, field service, etc. would give me salvation--and that was a maybe. Now that I've given my life to Christ and knowing that my eternal salvation is secure, I still find myself some days thinking I'm not doing "something." It was drilled all of my life that meetings, field service, etc. would give me salvation (maybe, don't forget the maybe), and after finding that's not the case, it STILL feels strange. I love not doing those things, because those things were so burdensome, but I can't explain itl...just that the mental mind shaping of the JWs always stays with you. Jesus came to earth to bring relief, not a burden, and it's amazing how as JWs we didn't see how much a burden we were under for so long. The Jesus/Jehovah of the JW is a big switch from the Jesus/Jehovah of the true gospel, and the differences are like night and day. It's such a big mental (and emotional) adjustment--I still cry sometimes!!! We have all been through a lot, some more than others and I totally understand the numbness some of you feel because I went through that.

Vienna

• ros
    ros

I, and many of my exJW friends, remain Christian, non-trinitarian. I am not affiliated with any church denomination. Have an avid interest in Biblical study from a more scholarly perspective.
    I host www.christianquest.org website.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Viena,

Welcome to the board kiddo. I'm an "A" Christian, not a JW, Catholic to be specific, with hopes of being ordained a deacon sometime in the future (God Willing). Glad ya made it out.

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    I like peanut butter, can you rollerskate?

• Vienna
    Vienna

Sorry SlayerLayer--I didn't see your post before I posted or I would of answered.

Yes, in agreement and addition to the post from somebody, they say they are following Jesus but they are not. There are so many instances, I'll just be brief. A few examples (I don't have my bible on me today--quoting from memory), Jesus says that if you don't eat his flesh and drink his blood (communion) "you have no life in yourself". And as you know JWs pass the bread and wine every year at the Memorial (due of course to their doctrines of who goes to heaven/hell which is incorrect), but do you see how the domino's fall--if one belief is wrong about Jesus, other's follow? And you can't get "one" thing wrong about Jesus and claim to be following him, which is the foundation of JW doctrine and one of the reasons I left. There's a quote I love "If you have the right Jesus, you're right for all eternity. But if you have the wrong Jesus, you're wrong for all eternity". Jesus said you will be "witnesses of me" in distant lands, and JWs deny Jesus this witness by ignoring what's actually in the New Testament and referring mostly to the Old Testament and using God's dealing with Isreal as their foundation for most things. There's a scripture that says that Jehovah has given his name to Jesus--the exact scripture I can give when I get my bible. So the honor, worship and witness to Jesus is something Jehovah has put in place. In Jesus' name every knee shall bend. Another thing, Jesus, the Father and Holy Spirit are one, like an orange that is made up of an orange peel, the pulp and seeds. It's all one orange, but three distinct parts. JWs don't teach this blessed Trinity (of course it's a deeper discussion than just the orange illustration). You can't get one right and 100 wrong or vise versa. Following Jesus means following Jesus as He wants it, and that's what I meant in my statement that I'm follwing Jesus now. I hope this post is clear...my thoughts ramble. :)

Vienna

• Gianluca
    Gianluca

Hello Vienna,

I'm an inactive JW, still believe in God but in my own way. Will never join another religion/organization.
    Ciao
    Gianluca

• larc
    larc

Hi,

I would call myself a Christian, Apathetic Agnostic. Christian in that I was raised a Witness and believe in many of the values that Jesus taught. I do have trouble with one of his teachings: giving everything I have to the poor. If everyone did that, the poor would be well off and the rest of us would be poor. It dosen't make any sense to me. Apathetic, because I don't care to influence anyone else, and I don't want to spend any of my precious time pondering an unanswerable question, i.e., the nature of God if there is one. If there is a God, I think he has a sense of humor and is nicer than depicted by most people. If there is an after life, I don't know what my batting average has to be in order to get there, so I don't worry about. Also, I don't think that God would require that I believe in him to be found acceptable. If I didn't believe, he would know why and take that into account.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Hi Tina,

It's good to be sure of some things!

When the Holy Grail is found, I'm certain it will be filled with coffee--the drink of the gods and goddess! You're right, there are some sure things--the Holy Bean is one such example.

"In the beginning was the Holy Grail filled with Coffee, and it was very good." Java 1:1

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• Francois
    Francois

Non-JW, Non-Christian, Not a member of any organized religion. Intense belief in God - but not that Jehovah dude, or any other God made in the image of man.

F

• unanswered
    unanswered

hi vienna, welcome to the board. i walked away from the jw cong. 5 years ago and have been d/f'ed for almost 2 years. i'm agnostic.-nate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit