Mobile Hotspot - JWFACTS.COM - Assembly & Conventions

by thedepressedsoul 166 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Also if it takes off and more people want to participate can there be more than 1 wifi with the same name?

If not then is there an idea to have a system for additional names at least to let others know that there are more in attendance that are critical.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Notjustyet: Now if the WTBTS claim for their God to always have a hand in helping the WTBTS move forward can't seem to find out where a wifi signal is coming from that is promoting a critical site, what would this say about their Gods strength or claim to be on their side?

Well, according the approved JayDudbroadcasting several months back, god helped that guy find a leaking pipe on his building site...so Im sure he can help track down a wifi signal?? haha

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Viviane,

Sure, if you want to use that part. I believe though that towards the end things were being discussed to address that particular concern. Somehow such clarification is not relevant to you and prefer to attack a particular part of the thread or assume you know my intentions.

Before this discussion is destroyed by us going completely out of topic, lets clarify something and move on, please?

Let me make it clear to you that it was never my intention to hijack anything. Let me make it clear again that redirecting someone to a web based content with a DNS server of your own local network (without sharing the public internet) is not DNS hijacking. Call it captive portal if you want.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Let me make it clear to you that it was never my intention to hijack anything. Let me make it clear again that redirecting someone to a web based content with a DNS server of your own local network (without sharing the public internet) is not DNS hijacking. Call it captive portal if you want

Of course it isn't. Hijacking DNS, however, is exactly what you proposed and is what you are now claiming to have proposed.

• suavojr
    suavojr

You guys just gave me a fun project for this miserable CA I have to attend this weekend

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

An IT consultant Viviane? That explains a lot. Accustomed to tell everyone that you know better and walk away with a check. Never actually having to put the sweat in to make it happen.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    An IT consultant Viviane? That explains a lot. Accustomed to tell everyone that you know better and walk away with a check. Never actually having to put the sweat in to make it happen.

People often fall back on that when they've got no actual argument against reality. It's basically name calling on your part, making ignorant assumptions and assertions about what I do and how I do it because your own words prove you wrong and your only recourse is to lash out at me in a vain attempt to feel good about yourself. So, yeah, it DOES say a lot, and all of it about you, none of it good.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Is this what they were talking about over on JWTalk ? I didn't get it then and I am not sure that I still do...

1st cut and paste quote:

We haven't had any apostates picket outside of our assembly hall for years now (Natick, MA). However, a number of the surrounding congregations have been/are having their Circuit Assemblies the past few and coming weeks. It seems that on a number of recent weekends, the friends tablets and phones have picked up wi-fi hotspot signals which use names composed of the URL of various apostate websites, or offer open wi-fi signals with innocuous names, but that route the user to an apostate website once they join the wi-fi network.The Natick Assembly hall has notoriously bad cell phone reception, so many of the friends will often look for an open wi-fi signal to check something on JW.org, download the WT, etc.

2nd quote from one of the Mods:

With that being said, just about anyone with a free signal meter app would be able to hunt down the rough area of the phone fairly quickly, and watch as people move in and out of the area to determine exactly who is carrying it. Of course apostates aren't banned from our events unless they cause a disturbance, but if the offending access point is someone who is still active in the congregation and "silently" protesting, their efforts to remain in the congregation unseen would not be very effective.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Here is what I would do if I did not have an "in" wife and a mother in law that would be ticked off by my actions bellow.

First lets assume a few things...

1- It would not be a race to see if I can make the device smaller and smaller. It just need to be stealthy. Assemblies are full of lunch boxes and briefcases. I got space to work with so I would not short change myself and sacrifice in other areas.

2- I would not expect a whole lot of users to hit the device at once. There would be no streaming from this box and I would not be sharing a public internet connection.

3- In my view, the name of the wifi SSID is irrelevant, in fact, the more innocent it looks the better.

4- I would not want to seat at the assembly all day and have to listen to the crap if I don't have to.

Content Server: As proposed here, a Raspberry PI is a good platform to serve your content from. It can run your web server, DNS, DHCP and provide tons of storage for whatever content you want to dump on it. It provides the flexibility of making changes to the software, content and other features you may need.

Wireless connectivity: A PI and be fitted with a USB wireless adapter but those tend to have low transmit power and weak antennas. I can find a USB adapter with an external antenna but I believe there are better solutions. Using a standard wifi router would provide much better coverage. It usually has more diversity built-in so it means more antennas are there to catch signals. Now lets not be misguided, just because a router has 8 plastic prods coming out of it, it doesn't mean they all actually work. Never the less, a wifi router has better diversity and more transmit power, period. I would pick one that has removable antennas so I can attach my own. I could also serve my content from a router that runs DD-WRT. This would not just give me the flexibility to configure WIFI in a way the gives more coverage, but also reduces power consumption and complexity of the setup. The con is that it may limit storage capacity and I am not sure how efficient a web server can run in such a small router. I guess I would have to experiment.

Power: The PI only consumes about 2 Ah and a WIFI about 1 Ah. Assuming they are always running at peak power, we are looking at a total power requirement of about 3 Ah. A 20 Ah battery can be had for $40 dollar. At a size of 3x6x7 inches (found one in Amazon) it can be fitted into most lunch boxes, laptop bags or whatever bag my nice JW side of me would have picked to take to an assembly. This would give you a run time of about 6.5 hours if not more.

Antennas: Here is where not being limited by the size of the setup has its advantages. There are several ways in which you can build or install a high gain antenna into your lunch box or briefcase. This is where the most of your coverage would come from. Wether you simply buy a high gain omni antenna and stuff inside or build your antenna into the sides of the bag, briefcase covering, etc. I could even look into aluminum briefcases. While it would not be better than a copper antenna, the shell of the briefcase itself could be the antenna. Not the best material but may be the gain in exposure would make up for it

WIFI config: Asides from the standard stuff that I would have to configure, I would look into other settings that would help out with the coverage. Not having access to manage the end devices puts some constraints in my setup but things like reducing the channel to 20 MHz and forcing all devices to use a single band, like 802.11n would increase the efficiency of the AP while the narrower channel makes the devices more sensitive.

Content: I would leave that up to my wildest dreams and change it based on the theme of the assembly.

Personally I would just walk in, find a good seat, hopefully located towards the center. Drop the suitcase or bag in place, wait a few minutes and walk away. Leave some books and a coat behind. Get on my car and go about my day. At the end of the day I would pick it up and take it home to recharge.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    I initially thought that tricking a JW into visiting an apostate site or localized version of an apostate site on a piratebox by using an innocuous WIFI name like JW.org or FreeWIFI was a good idea. After reading community responses, I don't think that is a good idea, but I do like the idea of advertising JWFacts.com with your WIFI name or setting up a piratebox with a WIFI name of JWFacts.com and then having Crisis of Conscience available along with other stuff. Tricking them will be seen as underhanded, but if they willfully connect to a WIFI connection called JWFacts.com then on some level they know they are going down the rabbit hole.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit