Wish me good luck...

by FadeToBlack 31 Replies latest jw friends

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    OMG. I have the entire service group coming over for dinner on Sunday. I don't mind when my wife has a couple over that are cool, but with more than 2 or 3 extra people in my house I get nervous. I will probably start drinking beer after lunch before they arrive. She knows that I don't like groups, so I am really curious what is going on. Perhaps it is to upbuild me with wonderful spiritual association? She even bought a new table-cloth for the occasion. I imagine I will spend a lot of time outside taking care of the dogs.
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Nah. Its your house. You got this. Welcome them, talk to them (not about anything JW related....change subjects), and enjoy yourself. Offer them beers, just be you, and show them you aren't a fire breathing satan worshiper.

Its your home. Your turf. Don't adjust for them. they are just people.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    I agree with you problemaddict2. That is what normally happens when a couple from the hall comes over. But with a larger group they soon all digress into 'holy' mode talking about some great assembly part or even worse want to sing a few Kindgom Melodies. Exit, stage right. Last time, my wife didn't even notice that I had disappeared.
  • talesin
    talesin

FTB - Wow, they really do that at a 'get-together'? Times have really changed since I was in (long, long ago). We had FUN when we partied .... skating parties, playing cards, dancing ... definitely no discussion of the assembly or singing Kingdom melodies. They really have no life at all, do they?

Good luck with the day, try not to let it get you down.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Well, since Jdubs eat up that head of the household stuff, every time they bring up some from the meeting just say "At this time I will not allow that to be discussed at my dinner table".

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Kingdom melodies?!

Sod that! Put on your favorite Christmas songs - if you're stuck for ideas check out snugglebunny's 'Best Christmas Song' thread ...

• Dagney
    Dagney

FTB - I feel you. No matter how long I'm out etc., the anticipation of hanging out with a group of JW's is nerve wracking. Anticipation is usually worse than the reality.

If their motive is to reach out to you, think of a simple comeback to have ready. Psyche yourself up to be super positive and happy and ask about them/their families/work...anything...it always gets them off track.

If it's strictly a social occasion for lunch, go with the flow. Same suggestions as the above paragraph. For some reason being strong and sure and turning the conversation back to them has always worked for me. Crisis averted.

Good luck!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

FadeToBlack, Are you providing all of the food and refreshments? Or is it what is called 'pot luck' where everyone brings a dish to share?

On Sunday, it is Dec 20th, 5 days before Christmas. It would be funny to me if you served seasonal eggnog or the equivalent for the area you live in. Also, if you bought your wife a potted plant like red poinsetta's to brighten up the house. lol

If your wife is going all out, even so far as getting a new table cloth for your dining table, you could go to your local florist and buy the center piece flower arrangement. At this time of year, it probably will look a bit Christmasie too. lol

You are the head of the house. If I was you I would greet my guests at the door, give the men an extra hard hand squeeze handshake, hug their wives and welcome them to come into your home.

We can all understand your dilemma. I am glad I am not in your shoes. lol

LoisLane

PS I really do like your idea of going out and playing with your dog(s). Hope the other men don't want to go with you! lol

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    Yes Dagney, the anticipation is usually worse. So far, they have been very polite - no attempts to corner me. I think my wife probably told them just to back off a step.
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    Lois - I love the poinsetta idea!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit